Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bike rack - roof or rear

• 04-06-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭

Any view on whether one is better than the other? For a road bike.

Dont have a tow bar.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Dont have a tow bar.

Thanks.

If your car can take it and has easy to fit roof rack, would defo recommend roof!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What kind of bike will you be carrying? Will you be able to easily lift it onto the roof?

Also, a disadvantage of roof mounted is that you can't forget which lane to go through when you get to a toll bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Many if not most car parks have height restrictions getting access so could be a consideration.

I'd personally only recommend the Bones racks which while expensive they fold up so small that you can keep in your boot when not used. I have the double bones and bought it 12+ years ago and use constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Also, a disadvantage of roof mounted is that you can't forget which lane to go through when you get to a toll bridge!

Don't mention the war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I've all 3

Roof, rear and towbar mounted.
    Also the car is an estate so can fit in bike if I take off saddle and front wheel.

I use the inside car the most.
    Then tow bar.
    Then roof.

Rarely use the rear mounted. It's never let me down but I just don't trust it

Roof is handy for holidays etc, can get at the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Dont have a tow bar.

Thanks.

Roof has one disadvantage: you are getting really tall and cannot pass under those stupid gates in front of parking lot in touristic places...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

I got the Saris Bones 2 recently - I was pleasantly surprised at how stable it was even at 120 km/h. As someone else said above, it’s probably the only rear mounted rack worth looking at.

Decided to go with a rear mounted one because I can mount in on mine and my partner’s car, which is handy.

€150 from the website below, delivered in a week from NL:
    https://www.winparts.ie/luggage-transport/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-rack/c457/saris-bones-2-bike-rack-for-2-bikes/p383600.html?a=t4u/0/0/457/383600&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnueFBhChARIsAPu3YkSbsKTegEmWt_nc_KP-M8MZ0TodCpGQAsoVf2SApglq5hczX65SzzMaAmWiEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Malcoms in rathmines suplly and fit tow bars for just over 300 quid. We'll worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Malcoms in rathmines suplly and fit tow bars for just over 300 quid. We'll worth it.

Depends on the car. Over 700 quoted for my Octavia estate :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

grogi wrote: »
    .... those stupid gates ....
    Why call them stupid? They are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Any experience here with suction type roof racks?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Was hoping to get a roof mounted rack for our holidays, but the roof box takes up too much room so there isn't the space to fit what I've been looking for.

I'd a bad experience with the Halford's own brand rear rack, the straps would constantly loosen. Will check out the Saris Bones 2 - any other recommendations for a rear rack? I don't have a tow bar.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Was hoping to get a roof mounted rack for our holidays, but the roof box takes up too much room so there isn't the space to fit what I've been looking for.

I'd a bad experience with the Halford's own brand rear rack, the straps would constantly loosen. Will check out the Saris Bones 2 - any other recommendations for a rear rack? I don't have a tow bar.

Thanks

That was/is my problem. We went with it last week and I had to keep adjusting it on route.
    So I got four cam buckles during the week and replaced the plastic 'clips' with the cam buckles.
    Will know this weekend if it's better. Last thing ya want is a few grand of bikes on the road behind ya

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »

Thanks

I've a Halfords rear mounted. Direction of the straps into the grippyfastnerthings makes a massive difference. If its loosening, the straps may be in wrong.

Have done 1000s kms with it on continent, never a problem. Not the best quality, getting rusty. Might be better quality for a few extra bob.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-rear-low-mount-2-bike-bike-rack-539079.html

positron wrote: »
    Never used one but I'd be concerned that during heavy braking the suction cups may not be able to withstand the force of momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foxmoves

positron wrote: »

I bought one second hand off a guy on here and while it takes a bit of confidence to get used to, have done around 700kms so far and no issues at all.

It is a sea sucker, two bikes.

A few things to note:
    (1) depending on where u put the back wheel suction pad, the roof can make a noise on very sharp turns/around round abouts, if not on a sturdy part of the roof/towards the edge
    (2) different axle widths need to be considered as may need to change the release on the cup
    (3) there is a bit of wind noise when bikes on top

Quick to install and even quicker to remove and store (like less than 60 seconds)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting responses, thanks.

Incidentally - is there a problem with putting carbon bikes on the roof mounted? That you shouldnt put clasps on to carbon.

Incidentally - is there a problem with putting carbon bikes on the roof mounted? That you shouldnt put clasps on to carbon.
    I've a Thule 598B ProRide. The wheels get strapped into the base with a soft rubbery straps. The clamp onto the tube has a soft padding to firmly but sympathetically clamp the bike vertically.
    Personally I prefer it over my boot mounted rack because with it I've to strap the bike down to prevent it bouncing. Bungee cords aren't good enough and ratchet straps would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I use a Hollywood rack on the rear of my car with no issues, the style that hangs the bikes by the top-tube - good quality car-hooks on the straps, and the buckles don't slip at all.

We carry two or sometimes three bikes, one an e-bike, one hybrid and a carbon road-bike (instructions say put heaviest bikes closest to car) - probably a total of 45kg.

Tip when mounting this type of rack: tighten the straps to start and then move the hooks left and right along the edge of the tailgate a few cm, to find the sweet spot where the strap wants to settle (shortest strap-length back to the buckle) and then tighten the buckles again. If you don't find the sweet spot at the start, then the hook will settle into it in the first few km, and the straps will fall loose.

Even though it works well, the time it takes to fit and remove means that our next car will have a tow-bar and suitable rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Ive used rear and towbar. The rear is fine for one bike and odd trips but 2 or 3 bikes hanging off a tiny clip on the metalwork or window frame is a bit daunting and when going round roundabouts and speed ramps. Youd be surprised at how heavy they are once youve got 2 or more bikes, and you cannot get to the boot so that means no dog in the boot or access to any children stuff. Towbar was about 500 from Rathmines for Octavia last year, and is amazing for secureness, tips over for access to boot but have a v long mountain bike with 29er tyres and is wider than the car and doesnt feel safe on the narrow roads in the mnts and have to look for certain car spaces in lots so that the bike rack isnt going to get bumped into when parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

A fork mounted roof bike rack like the Thule FastRide avoids the need for any clamp on the frame. It does mean you either need a separate mount for the front wheel or just throw the wheel in the boot. Personally I think it's the best option for a carbon frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I keep this in the glove box and stick it on the steering wheel when I have the bikes on the roof!

555310.jpg
    I've a Thule 598B ProRide. The wheels get strapped into the base with a soft rubbery straps. The clamp onto the tube has a soft padding to firmly but sympathetically clamp the bike vertically.

I have the same ones in silver and love them. No worries about the carbon frame being damaged. Or rims for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anyone care to recommend a towbar type carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Anyone care to recommend a towbar type carrier.

I’ve had my bike on a friend’s Thule 3 bike tow bar mounted system just the one time. Very impressive bit of kit and would be my choice money permitting.

I can find out model number if you’re interested. But there are probably videos on YouTube most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Foxmoves wrote: »
    I bought one second hand off a guy on here and while it takes a bit of confidence to get used to, have done around 700kms so far and no issues at all.

A few things to note:
    (1) depending on where u put the back wheel suction pad, the roof can make a noise on very sharp turns/around round abouts, if not on a sturdy part of the roof/towards the edge
    (2) different axle widths need to be considered as may need to change the release on the cup

Quick to install and even quicker to remove and store (like less than 60 seconds)

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I have just taken delivery of a rockbros 3 bike suction yoke, and you are right installation is a breeze, took me less than 5 minutes to take it out of the box and to the roof of the car and to have a bike mounted on it (although it's only a tiny kids bike - my test tribute). Trip later on M1 will help with the confidence I am sure. It's slightly awkward to reach over to install a bike, but I am sure that would be the case for any roof mounted rack solutions. I am liking this so far, and not to mention, at a fraction of the cost of other mounting solutions out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Foxmoves wrote: »

A few things to note:

They're kind of cool but I don't know if I could ever have full confidence in them.
    I've seen the online video of Nico Rosberg I think belting down a runway with them but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone know of a tow bar mounted bike rack that can allow one of the twin doors on the back of a van to open ?

It might be something that extends out so the door can be open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Advertisement