Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Decathlon selling ammo here

Options
  • 02-06-2021 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi all I've noticed browsing through decathlon it's showing me ammo sometimes and even a Nielsen moderator for a 22 but when you click on the link for the ammo it'll give a 404 error or say not available online
    I wonder are they getting ready to sell ammo since it's a simpler RFD licence for 22 and 12guage 80 euro for the year iirc
    But I've also seen .308 for 39 euros a box of 50…!
    22 for 4 euros a box
    Geco .22 for 39 euro per 500
    And clay cartridges for 5-6 euro a box incl steel shot

https://www.decathlon.ie/?prod_en%5Bquery%5D=ammunition&prod_en%5Bpage%5D=2
    Again this is only speculation it might just be a website error I have screenshots too incase the link doesn't show it

As much as I support local dealers there's just too many middle men involved in getting ammo into Ireland and the prices are ridiculous these days so it would be a welcome sight to get 22 at 4 euro a box again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Hi all I've noticed browsing through decathlon it's showing me ammo sometimes and even a Nielsen moderator for a 22 but when you click on the link for the ammo it'll give a 404 error or say not available online
    I wonder are they getting ready to sell ammo since it's a simpler RFD licence for 22 and 12guage 80 euro for the year iirc
    But I've also seen .308 for 39 euros a box
    22 for 4 euros a box
    Geco .22 for 39 euro per 500
    And clay cartridges for 5-6 euro a box incl steel shot

https://www.decathlon.ie/?prod_en%5Bquery%5D=ammunition&prod_en%5Bpage%5D=2
    Again this is only speculation it might just be a website error I have screenshots too incase the link doesn't show it

Bang them an email and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

tudderone wrote: »
    Bang them an email and see what they say.

Sent an email off there we'll see what they say

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I doubt it honestly, all the links are dead and their shooting section was hidden a while back, so I suspect they got out of the RFD side of shooting/hunting and now only sell the unlicenced bits(clothes, etc).

Seems like their website admin just hid the shooting category rather than removing the products, since the search still displays them, but on clicking several different ammo products it 404s.

On cheap 22 ammo, 525 rounds of federal 22 for €34.99.
    Works out at ~€3.33 per 50.

About the best deal I've seen in Ireland for the stuff.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    I doubt it honestly, all the links are dead and their shooting section was hidden a while back, so I suspect they got out of the RFD side of shooting/hunting and now only sell the unlicenced bits(clothes, etc).

Seems like their website admin just hid the shooting category rather than removing the products, since the search still displays them, but on clicking several different ammo products it 404s.

Well if they're due to expand and open more stores they might sell it in a new one , might be easier to get an rfd licence outside of Dublin etc

otmmyboy2 wrote: »

Gunshop.ie do it for 34.75 now last time I bought it I got it for 31 off them also the cheapest place for 22 Hornet ammo 39.95 per box of 50 ppu

• Advertisement

Got an email back saying they'll have ammo back in stock in two weeks?
    Has anyone here been in the actual store?

Received a second email there
    Unfortunately I have just been updated there is no ammunition allowed to be sold in Ireland they are there for advertisement purposes only. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,
    Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I was up the other day. They have moved the 'hunting' section to the far back left of the shop and drastically reduced its size. With the exception of a few wellies the good selection of wellingtons and boots are gone. No sign of substantial clothing just a few shooting vest / jackets compared to the selection in 2019 of various jackets and trousers for different hunting styles etc. No hard ware to speak of, very disappointing. Good selection of multi disaolined sports and out door activities as well as camping stuff. Handy if you don't want to pay €2/€3 K on a holiday home stay-cation.

It may be a seasonal thing or Covid reopening I don't know. In France some of the large shops are heavily stocked with region specific sports gear. It's not unusual to find a shop with a small hunting section while a few hours down the road the other one will have a large section and sell varried ammo.

The online shop is still very active, if not a slight pain to navigate. I purchased decoys recently, very impressed, let's hope the pigeons are just as impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

That sportsman link works but I phoned him for more info after placing my order and he said no online sales just collect instore he offered a refund but I'm in Dublin so I will collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Im just thinking, I gotta remember to get my postage payment exchanged for goods while I'm there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Noticed last week that they have very little hunting clothing online. Is this just a seasonal thing, or are they moving away from hunting gear altogether?

Eddie B wrote: »
    Noticed last week that they have very little hunting clothing online. Is this just a seasonal thing, or are they moving away from hunting gear altogether?

Nope .... have a gander here and weep-

https://www.decathlon.fr/browse/c0-tous-les-sports/c1-chasse/c2-vetements-de-chasse/_/N-1ecj6va?Ndrc=5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Actually if you look into it, it ain't much better than the Irish site. Most the trousers are out of stock in the most popular sizes. (That's what I was looking for). Irish site is ten times worse. It's like they are just selling off what's left. Good range of clothing, until you look at sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭badaj0z

I find that Decathlon is a depressing shop to visit, even in France. Full of cheap, shoddy clothes , made of shiny synthetic material in a depressing range of awful colours. This applies to the entire range, not just the hunting stuff. It is the clothing version of a "pound" shop.

You mustn't of really looked too hard..... an awful lot of other brands are sold in shop. I've bought a selection of thier branded items- footwear, clothing and equipment over the years both at home and abroad. Bar normal ware and tear it's all good and fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I've bought a few things there (all in Dublin) - overall, I was happy with all of the clothing, although one pair of trousers were too tight at the knees (which was a shame, as the knees had an extra layer of material, so would have been great for shooting off the knee etc).

A changing room in the shop would be useful, but I'd still buy there again no problem.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement