Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scrappage

• 04-06-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi,
    Garage has informed my Mum that her car is banjaxed basically, it’s a 2007 Peugeot 206. They have offered €450 for it for scrappage but she is going to buy a new car elsewhere and presuming they won’t take it as trade in even?

Any ideas on where best to sell the car or any ideas on who would be interested in taking it off her hands. Even for a few hundred quid.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's running bring it to wherever she is buying the new car as a trade in. One of the 'we scrap any car' type places will likely give about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

She might do better buying new without any trade in. Just a straight deal should get a discount off the list price, the amount will depend on the model she is buying.

The 206 will sell on Donedeal if it is running, better price if it has any NCT left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

If it's running bring it to wherever she is buying the new car as a trade in. One of the 'we scrap any car' type places will likely give about €100.

If they do that the garage might offer €500 or whatever for the car as a trade in but realistically they would have given a €500 discount anyway so they are essentially getting €0 for the car

If she’s set on buying a new car I’d take the €450 and put it towards a new car and try get a straight deal discount

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd bite that hand that's giving 450 especially if the car isfooked....

You wouldn't even get €100 scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Thanks all. Yeah, it’s banjaxed, not running even. Going to buy a 2017 Audi A1 from Audi garage in Sligo. Tight b@stards wouldn’t give any money off it. €20 they said. Miserable.

https://www.connollys.ie/stock/13028828-audi-a1-sb-1.4-tfsi-125-s-line-4-dr/

• Advertisement

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Thanks all. Yeah, it’s banjaxed, not running even. Going to buy a 2017 Audi A1 from Audi garage in Sligo. Tight b@stards wouldn’t give any money off it. €20 they said. Miserable.

€20 off a car that price with no trade in ?

The 206 is probably just scrap.

M

I could think of so many better cars to buy with €20k, it's insane money.

elperello wrote: »
    €20 off a car that price with no trade in ?

The 206 is probably just scrap.

Yeah, €20 with no trade in. Wouldn’t budge. I would expect to get it for €19,500 but with the demand and lack of supply seems they are less willing to negotiate.

I could think of so many better cars to buy with €20k, it's insane money.

Like? For my Mum who’s in her 70s now. Think she really likes this car so more spending the extra bit for a car she loves rather than something to do the job.

M

Like? For my Mum who’s in her 70s now. Think she really likes this car so more spending the extra bit for a car she loves rather than something to do the job.

I'd go automatic, high driving position, reversing camera and driving aids, bit of room, this would be much better...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-c-hr-hybrid-luna/27537567

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An end of life car is worth about €80 to €100 from a scrap yard. If someone is offering you €450 for it then they are either breaking it for parts or repairing it. As for the Audi A1 above, I couldn't think of worse value for 20k given it's age and size and as for the insulting €20 discount, I would have told them where to lodge it.

That's nuts, 20k on a A1.....

As above ch-r or if feels it's too big there is the Yaris or corolla
    Honda Jazz in hybrid too so all autos.

Thanks for all the comments. Agreed, it is pricey, but sure that’s Audi for you. It’s a car she really likes so no issue paying the extra bit for a car that she will have for hopefully the guts of 10years.

Thanks for all the comments. Agreed, it is pricey, but sure that’s Audi for you. It’s a car she really likes so no issue paying the extra bit for a car that she will have for hopefully the guts of 10years.

She really should look at Auto, especially at the age I'm sorry to say but it will be a benefit in time to come.

I get it they're a nice looking car but dropping that sort of money on a1.4 petrol, god I'd love to have that budget and buy something much better.

Yeah, €20 with no trade in. Wouldn’t budge. I would expect to get it for €19,500 but with the demand and lack of supply seems they are less willing to negotiate.

There are plenty of them about see here -

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Audi/A1?notFound=1

I understand that your mum likes it but I bet she would like an extra 2k in her pocket as well.

The €20 off is just nonsense. Their stock is priced to allow for trade ins so to get a straight sale is a bonus for them. You wouldn't give a kid €20 for Christmas !

I also agree with the comment about automatics. I've seen a few older people being able to extend their driving careers thanks to auto boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If that's their attitude when buying, what will their attitude be if you have any issues.

Avoid any garage that acts as if they are god's gift.

Definitely go automatic. You'll ask why you didn't do it years ago.

Here's a nice one - same price, but 2018

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a1-sport-nav-tdi-116-s-tronic-auto-start-stop/26769484

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Was out looking at a 19 reg used car recently, priced at €25k. I asked them what the cash price was on it. I was expecting a grand off, but they indicated maybe a hundred or two at best. Also said the prices they had to pay to get used stock was rising fast, so didnt seem bothered if I bought or not. I felt the car was abit overpriced and didnt represent value to me, so let it and moved on. Always a deal to be done elsewhere.

Some garages are just acting the Mick. If you're spending 20k, there has to be €500 buffer.

A garage in Dublin 12 had a jaguar for sale. I was interested (went with something different). It was priced at 23,500. I offered 22500 and they refused. It's still for sale but at 21995.

His attitude stank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

Is she buying it for herself, or are you planning to be "the designated driver" in the foreseeable future?

• Advertisement

gussieg wrote: »
    Is she buying it for herself, or are you planning to be "the designated driver" in the foreseeable future?

No, she will be driving it herself. Im not based there so was just trying to help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

oh ok. just i know my own family will listen to reason or advice from anyone but one of us.

Advertisement