Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving the stock ender 3: what to go for

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

TychoCaine wrote: »
    I know, but life is too short. I got out of the compiling habit years ago when Linux distros stopped requiring you to compile every kernel update from source. :D

Compiling is short, you can literally have it done and installed in 2 minutes flat.

Or you can pay for a yearly subscription to pre built firmware which will take a lot longer than 2 minutes to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I find that with the printable upgrades that deal with guiding the filament, they clicked and rattled like no tomorrow as the filament tended to slightly grip them. In particular, the arm that pushes into the top extrusion would grip so much that it would slightly bend until the filament slipped and the tension released. Needed to use teflon tape on the spool holder, the guide arm, and the extruder guide to stop the extra noise.

I did print a back cover for the LCD board

Has anyone put a BLTouch in a 4.2.7 mainboard?

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I find that with the printable upgrades that deal with guiding the filament, they clicked and rattled like no tomorrow as the filament tended to slightly grip them. In particular, the arm that pushes into the top extrusion would grip so much that it would slightly bend until the filament slipped and the tension released. Needed to use teflon tape on the spool holder, the guide arm, and the extruder guide to stop the extra noise.

Yeah this is really annoying. First hearing it, I thought there was something up until I realised it is the tension and the spool. Seems to worsen as the spool is getting low. Doesn't help that the spool can rock back and forth also.

Have you an image of the fix?

• Advertisement

Yeah this is really annoying. First hearing it, I thought there was something up until I realised it is the tension and the spool. Seems to worsen as the spool is getting low. Doesn't help that the spool can rock back and forth also.

Have you an image of the fix?
    http://imgur.com/a/mOSTpwN

There are loads of different extruder guides so you might not need to do it like this, but the arm is very popular. It's a pain in the ass trying to get the tape on the arm though, (impossible I would say if you have the closed ring version).
    I'm not sure if the tape is going to erode off and potentially clog the nozzle over time, so do at your own risk. The spool tape is already faded away a bit, but can be rotated around as needed.

There are loads of different extruder guides so you might not need to do it like this, but the arm is very popular. It's a pain in the ass trying to get the tape on the arm though, (impossible I would say if you have the closed ring version).
    I'm not sure if the tape is going to erode off and potentially clog the nozzle over time, so do at your own risk. The spool tape is already faded away a bit, but can be rotated around as needed.

PTFE should not erode at all it absorbs friction very well. The tape may be more susceptible to damage, moulded Teflon might be good options.

Something similar/smaller than this with a 2-3mm hole could be ideal to sit into the top filament guide.
    0-5-mm-Colored-Flat-PTFE-Washers.jpg
    source: https://ningeplastics86.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/FZqJQlaKCzkH-2f1j00ReTGPytlVvoQ/China-0-5-mm-Colored-Flat-PTFE-Washers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Where would the best place be to get some finer nozzles for printing very fine (and small) lettering?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Where would the best place be to get some finer nozzles for printing very fine (and small) lettering?

Amazon or AliExpress are good options.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-Printer-Replacement-Extruder/dp/B07TW7YV7R/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1WJE17966SX91&dchild=1&keywords=ender+3+nozzle+0.2mm&qid=1621365267&sprefix=ender+3+nozzle%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

3djake

• Advertisement

Just ordered a load of buck converters for the Ender and other projects.
    Also bit the bullet and went for a 3Dtouch, many Youtubers saying clones of the BLtouch are crap but I've often found myself wondering is there an ulterior motive behind always recommending the most expensive option because it seems to be the de rigueur thing for them to do, not just in 3D printing.

I'll keep you posted if I've just bought a dud, but as it stands my bed is so warped it needs 5x5 mesh levelling and it gets tiring having to redo it manually any time I make an adjustment or take the removable surface off.

Arrived, fitted, and (after an hour or 2 of frustration) working. Not bad for €24
    jCWpWow.jpg?1

Opted for a 3D printed mount that fits over the hotend enclosure rather than the included metal one that fits to the vents on the side of it.
    If you get one I really don't recommend feeding it through the nylon sleeving like I did. It's a pain in the ass to feed through, and the cable isn't long enough to make it all the way back to the motherboard so I had to cut a hole in the sleeving after it emerges from the cable chain I use, then needed to cut the probe connector off the short version of the wiring harness they also included, then crimp on male dupont connectors instead and join the 2 leads.
    Easiest just to cable tie it to the PTFE and wiring as far as the extruder and just drop it down to the motherboard from there.
    The worst part was trying to figure out why it would send out a STOPPED message on the LCD the first few times I used it. Turns out the 5 pin header,despite having a stop and ground pin, still needed me to unplug the Z endstop switch and use that port instead (though I might have missed something in the configuration when I was building marlin)

What MB and Firmware are you using?

What MB and Firmware are you using?
    4.2.2 and Marlin 2.0.8 that I compiled myself.

Update: After or during longer prints it starts to misbehave. It didn't deploy while auto-homing one time, and with the endstop switch now unplugged the nozzle crashed hard into the bed. Solution to that was apparently to let the printer cool down for a few hours between prints, or be ready to kill the power during homing and probing in case it fails to deploy.
    During the current print it just deployed mid-print and smashed against the side of the print multiple times. Still waiting for it to finish before I can inspect the damage, but I think it's FUBAR.

Can't edit my prior post, but here's an update: It would seem that the motherboard becomes much hotter than I thought during use, or maybe my dupont crimping is just crap: The issue seems to be that the connectors work themselves loose from the pin header. Hot glueing the pin headers into their slots seems to have resolved my problems for now. Didn't want to do it to allow for maintenance, but it seems to need it to prevent constant maintenance.

Can't edit my prior post, but here's an update: It would seem that the motherboard becomes much hotter than I thought during use, or maybe my dupont crimping is just crap: The issue seems to be that the connectors work themselves loose from the pin header. Hot glueing the pin headers into their slots seems to have resolved my problems for now. Didn't want to do it to allow for maintenance, but it seems to need it to prevent constant maintenance.

Warrenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

I have a full trianglelabs direct drive kit sitting here if you're interested I ordered 2 and the second one arrived months before this one sonits totting in a boxngatheting dust

Advertisement