Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your side hussle?

• 01-06-2021 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

If you ever look up how to become financially independent, rich enough to retire or how to make more money then you'll have seen the advice have a side hussle.

Childminding, pizza delivery, internet stuff, gardening are all usual suggestions.

I get the odd mixer but it's very rare. Once every two years maybe.

What's your side hussle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Have had plenty of random ones over the years, some more successful than others and some I still do!

Drove for a delivery app, hosted quiz nights, gave maths grinds, flipped items for a profit (xbox, N64, college books, cars), referral codes, sign up bonuses from credit cards/loyalty programs, peer-to-peer lending, yield farming, festival/event staff, online surveys

Love side hustles, it can be a fun way to make extra cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭wandererz

Sextoys online.
    Daily sales since started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

wandererz wrote: »
    Sextoys online.
    Started this 1st may. Daily sales since then.

Throw up the website name there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I get the odd mixer but it's very rare.

It's "nixer"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Childminding, pizza delivery, internet stuff, gardening are all usual suggestions.

This will just generate pocket money, you need a better plan.

- A career with good advancement options, high employer pension contributions and capital participation

- Go into a high value added business

- Be a very good investor, not a trader etc...

To retire early to most parts of Western Europe, you are looking at a wealth level of somewhere around one million Euro.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    This will just generate pocket money, you need a better plan.

or mere cents, not any substantial euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭wandererz

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Throw up the website name there.

Ah well, since there was an upvote to your request from SupaCat95.

Currently, it's best viewed on a larger screen rather than mobile. But soon to be fixed.

https://afterdusk.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Neames

I think the FIRE movement is fairly extreme. Live like a pauper for years and of course you'll save money.

Why not find a job you like instead of trying to retire by 30? Work isn't like work if you enjoy it.

Why not build a career instead of depending on side hustles like delivering pizzas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Neames wrote: »
    I think the FIRE movement is fairly extreme. Live like a pauper for years and of course you'll save money.

Why not find a job you like instead of trying to retire by 30? Work isn't like work if you enjoy it.

Why not build a career instead of depending on side hustles like delivering pizzas?

I think the original version of FIRE was pretty extreme but the community nowadays is more about living intentionally rather than racing to get to the end. The money side of things is important but your time and energy are a major part of it too.

Time is our most valuable resource and it gets more valuable the older we get. Financial independence is about giving yourself the freedom to choose how you spend your time, rather than someone else telling you how to

Time is our most valuable resource and it gets more valuable the older we get. Financial independence is about giving yourself the freedom to choose how you spend your time, rather than someone else telling you how to

Very true. I stopped gainful employment when I was 55. I still take on projects from time to time, but only stuff that interests me and usually for an equity stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Providing in depth and constant IT and any other tech support to my parents.....it is a voluntary position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Mine is spending as little time as possible working and living within my means.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gmisk wrote: »
    Providing in depth and constant IT and any other tech support to my parents.....it is a voluntary position.

Same although I do get paid in tea and biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Don’t see the need or advantage in doing work for cash. At the end of the day there is only three things you can do with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

gmisk wrote: »
    Are you my teenage son by any chance? :(

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

I work in HR/Recruitment, I'd love to set up a side hustle doing everything from writing CVs and cover letters/interview advice to offering HR advice to businesses, maybe even drawing up contracts or policies or doing their Recruitment, maybe consulting the public on their work place issues and advising should they spend 100s to get a consultation from a lawyer etc.

Anyone got suggestions on how to go about it? Are there websites I can post it on?

I freelance in consultancy in my field outside of my 9-5. When I was younger I almost always had a weekend job to tag on to my 9-5 but usually the weekend gigs were retail so not particularly lucrative all told!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are you my teenage son by any chance? :(
    Ha ha definitely not a teen any more...ah I don't mind most of the time

I work in HR/Recruitment, I'd love to set up a side hustle doing everything from writing CVs and cover letters/interview advice to offering HR advice to businesses, maybe even drawing up contracts or policies or doing their Recruitment, maybe consulting the public on their work place issues and advising should they spend 100s to get a consultation from a lawyer etc.

Anyone got suggestions on how to go about it? Are there websites I can post it on?

- Companies usually require VATable invoices

- You are not qualified nor entitled to provide legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Messing around with property.

Love my job, will never retire as I enjoy it too much.

The property is something that I like doing personally, if it makes some money well and good. It keeps me fit, gets the design side of the brain working and it relaxes me. Sure what more could you want ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Bit of vaccinating.....

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I have been doing paid online surveys with Irish Opinions for 15 years now. I earn about €150-200 a year and I take payment in Tesco vouchers. Definitely no more than a little pocket money type of gig, but it is fine.

I used to give language grinds and do translations. Translation rates aren’t what they used to be 10+ years ago, unless you have a niche subject matter expertise or a rare foreign language. If you speak Spanish, you are up against Latin Americans who will do the same work at ~5c per word.
    It got worse during the recession when I would be routinely asked to translate a document for free - the cheek!

I have been working on a share portfolio over the past couple of years. I like the idea of regular dividends coming through on a share holding, with minimum physical effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Same although I do get paid in tea and biscuits.

Same, and it also includes elements of PA work such as booking their flights, insurance, looking after their online banking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Fils wrote: »
    Don’t see the need or advantage in doing work for cash. At the end of the day there is only three things you can do with cash.
    Care to enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Going to live in-play GAA games and betting before the prices changes on the app. Made 2k from it in 2019, 2020 and 2021 are write offs for obvious reasons.

Risk of having my betting account closed moves ever closer with every win so this hustle has a short lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I make and sell wax melts. Just a wee hobby I've turned into a little business. Doing pretty well so far, and my 7 year old helps me with all of it, so I think it's cool for him to see something going from raw ingredients to a saleable product.

I still have my regular desk job too, but it's nice to balance it with something a lot more practical and creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Id love to have a skill that i could earn a little from a side hussle. For now its just on line surveys

Advertisement