Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for CV's

Options
  • 04-06-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

I've been advising relatives what should be included on their CVs. I said they should put down the year they did LC, their results and the name of the school. They (aged 30's & 40's) told me that its not necessary at this age and they just say they have the LC and no details. I must be very out of date. Any modern advice here for this please?

Comments

If by results you mean total points, then yep they should include it if they can.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that anyone would want to know about your leaving cert when you have 10+ years work experience (and in my case a college degree and professional qualifications) since, but I was job hunting earlier in the year and every recruiter I spoke to told me I should include it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Relevant professional qualifications unless all you got is the LC.

The most important thing is to remember that most companies use a filter electric or manual to reduce the number of resumes that will be considered for the position. So writing a CV that will pass the filter is the first requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Make sure you use apostrophes appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't bother with the leaving certificate unless that's the only education they have and even then I'd be more for leaving it off and just putting in employment history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I’m recruiting at the moment and tbh unless it’s the highest level of qualification I never look at it. More interested in college/professional certs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Make sure you use apostrophes appropriately.

Thank you all for your advice. The one above is my mantra all my life!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thank you all for your advice. The one above is my mantra all my life!! :)

A good tip I find is to look at the LinkedIn profile of people in their current roles or if you know the company they are looking to join see what the employees in the position they are applying for have in their profile, make the skills in their CV as 'similar' as they can be without full on lies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I find it hard to believe that recruiters want to know leaving cert results for positions that aren't for recent grads.

How do they assess applicants from other countries or who did secondary school other countries and didn't go through the Irish system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Don't think I'd remember my leaving cert results by then, unless it was an A1 or a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's a bit pointless having the lc in the cv, I'd imagine there is plenty of employment history. I also keep it short to 2 pages max.

References on request and brief on the 3rd education. If they want you theyll come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If they were 20, then maybe add results. But 30's and 40's? No.

Simple line under education, "Leaving cert with 5 honours"

You don't put the year either - try not to divulge the age, but possibly create impression you are younger (when you are 40ish)

If you've 3rd level qualifications, then the leaving cert would not be necessary to have.

Work experience and hobbies/pastimes are of more interest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

As somebody who has reviewed CV’s for hiring over the past decade - I’d think it odd if somebody included their leaving very results, I’d feel they were a bit clueless! Unless super young and junior.

I imagine they are only relevant if somebody has very little experience or no further education, or it’s for roles in very specific professions that assess LC including higher education. Or the civil service.

Otherwise it’s just taking up valuable real estate on what should be a succinct and relevant document

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Regarding LC on the CV, I would literally have it as a one liner, especially if you don't have any education afterwards and you're in 30s/40s

For some jobs it is a legal requirement to have the LC.

However we are talking about a CV here for someone in their 30s+, they're not going to be disqualified for a role if they have good experience because they have their LC on their CV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've been advising relatives what should be included on their CVs. I said they should put down the year they did LC, their results and the name of the school. They (aged 30's & 40's) told me that its not necessary at this age and they just say they have the LC and no details. I must be very out of date. Any modern advice here for this please?

You are not in a position to advice them. Stop now.

They should have 12-13 years experience, and possible qualifications.

Advertisement