Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sound of Metal

Options
  • 04-06-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

Finished this last night - I would actually give it 9/10.. cos of the way it made me feel... won't say anymore in case i spoil it for those of you who have not seen it.. lead actor is fantastic in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thought it was great. Excellent performance by the lead.

I watched it with subtitles (not sure if TV or the people, but was a little tricky to hear some of the dialogue at the beginning). It does add another dimension to it.
    There are a few shots of nature, etc., but the subtitles point out the background noise to really drill home the simple things that you might take for granted, but that some can't enjoy.

Ending spoiler:
    You really feel for him towards the end. Jumps through all these hoops to get the surgery done and then there's all that distortion and unpleasantness. Definitely felt relieved myself when he disconnected. Was pleased to see him eventually make the most of life at the shelter, so hopefully his story afterwards is a more uplifting one. Not your typical ending where everything works out for the best.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Thought it was great. Excellent performance by the lead.

I watched it with subtitles (not sure if TV or the people, but was a little tricky to hear some of the dialogue at the beginning). It does add another dimension to it.
    There are a few shots of nature, etc., but the subtitles point out the background noise to really drill home the simple things that you might take for granted, but that some can't enjoy.

Ending spoiler:
    You really feel for him towards the end. Jumps through all these hoops to get the surgery done and then there's all that distortion and unpleasantness. Definitely felt relieved myself when he disconnected. Was pleased to see him eventually make the most of life at the shelter, so hopefully his story afterwards is a more uplifting one. Not your typical ending where everything works out for the best.

with you on all that... and I watched it with Subtitles and sound so could appreciate it on both levels..

yes the ending was incredible.. I left like I was him; the way the camera stayed on him.. its like I could feel/think what he was feeling/thinking.. and I stayed like that for some time even after the credits started to roll...

Best movie I have seen in a while actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

absolutely superb movie , incredibly real performances , the vietnam veteran who ran the refuge place was a amazing in his relatively small role

ahmed is a very good actor , seen him before

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would to be honest, although maybe not helped by the fact that I watched it back in January in the middle of a bleak lockdown.

Can't fault any of the acting, but it just left me somewhat cold for whatever reason. I'd probably give it 6.5 or 7 out of 10, but I wouldn't be rushing to watch it again. Riz Ahmed has come a long way since e4's Dead Set!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Hats off to writer/director Darius Marder. A simple story that could have ended up melodramatic, ended being up one of those that lingered long after, due to the nuanced 'less is more" style of story-telling. Riz Ahmed is great in this, with really good support from Olivia Cooke. Their naturalness lent a real air of authenticity to it. Instead of moralising about being grateful for what we have, there is profound examination of how loss forces you to re-examine what you have.

• Advertisement

The development of the relationship between Ruben and Lou while together and absent from one another left a lot for anyone to ponder long after seeing the film.

Advertisement