Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike rack security

• 04-06-2021 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just have a question about bike racks. We are heading to Waterford this evening and I’m bringing my bike. I got a Thule pro ride carrier for the roof last week but I’m just wondering how secure the bike would be on it in terms of walking away from the car and someone being able to rob the bike. The bike is locked onto the carrier and the carrier onto the car but I’d be quite nervous about it. Anyone with any experience? I wouldn’t be leaving it for long maybe only for a couple of minutes but I’d like some reassurance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jscallan53

i use a long bike lock cable through the bike and around the roof bars but most id leave it unatteneded would be maybe 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I seem to recall a thread on here from a few years ago of someone coming back to their car to find someone on their roof robbing their bike...

Will the bike be the only bike on there? When we had a motorhome, I used to lock the bikes together, as well as to the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah it’s the only bike. I might not even need to leave it unattended but you never know. I’ll bring some sort of lock anyway just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

jscallan53 wrote: »
    i use a long bike lock cable through the bike and around the roof bars but most id leave it unatteneded would be maybe 10 mins.

Same as myself, I lock the bike to the rails when on the roof. It would stop an opportunistic thief thinking that it's just locked to the carrier but that wouldn't stop them damaging everything if they try pull it off.

If I have to stop I keep it within eyesight, or leave someone in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Hurrache wrote: »
    .....that wouldn't stop them damaging everything if they try pull it off.

If I have to stop I keep it within eyesight, or leave someone in the car.

Agree. I'm also travelling this weekend with a bike on the car, and I'd be as worried about damage to bike and / or car from someone trying to force it off even if it was secure. If I have to park the car and cant keep it in sight, then the bike comes with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use a sea sucker.com talon bike rack. Zero security as it can be released in seconds. So I use a cable lock around the bike and I have another cable lock, secured in the boot and looped out between the boot lid and the bodywork.

It’s more a deterrent than anything else and I always remind within line of sight so I can keep an eye on the bike at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I seem to recall a thread on here from a few years ago of someone coming back to their car to find someone on their roof robbing their bike...

Will the bike be the only bike on there? When we had a motorhome, I used to lock the bikes together, as well as to the rack.

I still have the CCTV somewhere of my road bike being robbed off the roof of my car outside my apartment block, despite being 'locked' to the rack. He just used the frame as a lever to pop the lock open. Locking to the roof bars when unsupervised is the minimum I'd recommend as a result and what I did every time afterwards!

Advertisement