Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maintenance costs?

Options
  • 03-06-2021 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

still looking for a car but would like advice on some cars that I like.

I know that premium cars have a higher cost than say a Passat which I have so would love to know what basic charges are on these cars

Charges like 1) cost of brake pads and 2) full service on the cars below

From an independent garage.

Audi A4
    Audi A6

BMW 520

Jaguar XF

Merc CLS
    Merc CLA

Volvo S60
    Volvo S80

I've been told to stay away from the Jag as costs can be prohibitive, is this true or just comparable with the Audi's, Mercs and BMWs.

Will be looking at a car circa 2015 with budget around 14-15k

I did look at the Lexus IS 300 but the inside lacks a bit of quality and a lot of plastic.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

I just had a full service on an XE changing all filters, oil, all pads and all discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

893bet wrote: »
    I just had a full service on an XE changing all filters, oil, all pads and all discs.

Thanks.

Hope you don’t have to pay that annually. I assume the discs were the most expensive. And prob bring annual service down to about 700 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

All that you have mentioned above are maintenance heavy and costly....

If that is what your after you preferable want to find one that has a good history and somebody has already spent a few quid on it! The Lexus would be my choice but that's just me..... You just can't see the quality.

Where are you based? That would have a bearing on it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lots of brands including premium brands have menu pricing for servicing, have a look at the websites, usually ranges from circa €200 to €500. You could pay €450 to service a Fiesta, you could pay €200 for a S80, depends what parts the car needs at that particular stage. Of those in your list I'd say the Audi's would be cheapest for general service as parts shared across VW Group. One big ticket item is timing belts, looking at circa €500-€650 for these, some cars will have timing chains which generally never have to be replaced which will save this expense.

Here's Audi fixed pricing...
    https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/customer-area/audi-service/fixed-price-service.html

Lots of brands including premium brands have menu pricing for servicing, have a look at the websites, usually ranges from circa €200 to €500. You could pay €450 to service a Fiesta, you could pay €200 for a S80, depends what parts the car needs at that particular stage. Of those in your list I'd say the Audi's would be cheapest for general service as parts shared across VW Group. One big ticket item is timing belts, looking at circa €500-€650 for these, some cars will have timing chains which generally never have to be replaced which will save this expense.

Here's Audi fixed pricing...
    https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/customer-area/audi-service/fixed-price-service.html

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

• Advertisement

Oops! wrote: »
    All that you have mentioned above are maintenance heavy and costly....

If that is what your after you preferable want to find one that has a good history and somebody has already spent a few quid on it! The Lexus would be my choice but that's just me..... You just can't see the quality.

Where are you based? That would have a bearing on it too...

Thanks. Based in Dublin but will travel if I find the right one for right price.

I will of course expect a full decent history and preferably off dealership.

I won’t be spending a fortune on this car but a decent sum nonetheless and will prob keep till it’s death. So annual costs are quite important as over a 7 year period as sizeable chunk could be saved.

Reliability and hereditary issues with certain models are a concern so if there’s anything I need to know about these models then would be good to know.

I will of course check timing belt and water pump is done and serviced well.

Just looking for a really nice car to bounce around in that won’t be a millstone around my neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd be budgeting at an absolute minimum €1k per year to maintain anything on that list properly.

Servicing itself wont differ hugely as opposed to smaller or less premium cars, the "problem" with cars like those is that they are usually heavier and harder on brakes, needing discs with almost every set of pads, they usually have more complex suspension arrangements, you are getting into cars with >18" or 19" tyres.

For a 2016 A4 or A6 2.0 diesel, say to get say oil, air and fuel filters, front pads and discs, 2x 18" tyres and a set of wipers on a VAT receipt with ok quality parts being used you'd be in our around €800 i'd say and that's before something out of the blue goes wrong, which is likely.

Advertisement