Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanmoof bike vendors and/or similar bike vendors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

bilasy wrote: »
    Hi, the bike finally arrived and assembled, you are dead right the cable cover was a nightmare, now two queries so far, my saddle apparently is not adjustable , I followed the instructions watched you tube but it won’t slide or move, I remember I tested this bike in VM shop back in September and it was adjustable, so not sure if that’s a different model or am I doing something wrong?or is just manufacturing error??
    See photo does that saddle looks adjustable to you?
    Also I found in the tool box a used Vodafone SIM card, does the bike comes with a SIM card installed some where?
    I didn’t get a time to ride the bike yet

Think the SIM card is in the smart module - it helps the bike connect for tracking.

That little indent circle on the frame below the saddle is a cover, and behind that is a bolt you can loosen and tighten to adjust the saddle. It takes the Torx key that comes in the tools box.

Just a warning not to over-tighten that bolt - I did and it snapped. Got a replacement bolt set easily, but it was still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Think the SIM card is in the smart module - it helps the bike connect for tracking.

That little indent circle on the frame below the saddle is a cover, and behind that is a bolt you can loosen and tighten to adjust the saddle. It takes the Torx key that comes in the tools box.

Just a warning not to over-tighten that bolt - I did and it snapped. Got a replacement bolt set easily, but it was still annoying.

Thanks, that’s what I been doing,I loosened that bolt ( as per manual and you tube instructions) and the saddle wouldn’t budge, not sure what else to do
    Check the pic attached does it look adjustable?
    To me it appears the seat is screwed to the bike frame

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭conor_mc

If it moves and it shouldn’t = gaffer tape.
    If it won’t move and it should = WD40.

The white stuff suggests there might just be a little bonding of the metals there. Hopefully some WD40 releases it.

On a somewhat related note, my key got stuck in my new abus folding lock on my first test of it, wouldn’t budge, wouldn’t turn, wouldn’t lock, wouldn’t come out. Quick spray of wd40 and sorted 5 seconds later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Mine was similar. You just need to pull it up a bit harder, try to rotate it a bit as you pull upwards too. Make sure the bolt is loose obviously.

mailforkev wrote: »
    Mine was similar. You just need to pull it up a bit harder, try to rotate it a bit as you pull upwards too. Make sure the bolt is loose obviously.
    Will try again, I actually removed the bolt and put it back, was yours like that in the pic?

• Advertisement

You only need to loosen the bolt a bit. As said above don’t over-tighten when you are ready.
    I think they just push them down a bit too tightly before packing. Mine ended up with a bit of blue paint on the post once I got it up.
    1999-A6-C8-F96-A-49-D2-B2-AE-59-AB93-C482-EE.jpg

You only need to loosen the bolt a bit. As said above don’t over-tighten when you are ready.
    I think they just push them down a bit too tightly before packing. Mine ended up with a bit of blue paint on the post once I got it up.
    1999-A6-C8-F96-A-49-D2-B2-AE-59-AB93-C482-EE.jpg
    Moved eventually thanks again

Good stuff. I hope that you have a good time with it. I've done over 400 km on mine since January (mostly just 15/20 minute local trips) and am really enjoying the bike.

Good stuff. I hope that you have a good time with it. I've done over 400 km on mine since January (mostly just 15/20 minute local trips) and am really enjoying the bike.

I already did 2 trip but I noticed the app didn’t record any, the Bluetooth is always on by default, I assumed it’s linked to the bike , any other way of linking?
    Thanks

I already did 2 trip but I noticed the app didn’t record any, the Bluetooth is always on by default, I assumed it’s linked to the bike , any other way of linking?
    Thanks

Can you lock/unlock and change the gear settings in the app? If so, then they’re linked.

• Advertisement

Can you lock/unlock and change the gear settings in the app? If so, then they’re linked.

Yes I can I waited 2 hours before posting as it’s mentioned in faq that it could take some time to show, does it usually take like 24 hours to reflect?

Yes I can I waited 2 hours before posting as it’s mentioned in faq that it could take some time to show, does it usually take like 24 hours to reflect?

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really used that part of the app, particularly right after a cycle. Think I looked at it once to figure out my likely real world range

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really used that part of the app, particularly right after a cycle. Think I looked at it once to figure out my likely real world range

Finally worked, you should give it a go just for the crack , good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dunder2000

Just wanted to share my experience with Van Moof - I love the S3 bike...However...... I ordered one last year, got it in November 2020. Started to glitch wit first two weeks and have electrical faults, various error codes. Got replacement cartridge, then a replacement boost button, then a replacement e-shifter. Decided enough is enough and sent it back, they were good enough to agree to send me a new bike, even though 14 day period had passed. Waited for 3 months til new bike arrived yesterday - a spanking new S3. Spend the afternoon building it very carefully, no problems.

Put in the charger.......error code 18, wouldn't start or turn on.....called Technical support this morning, and I've just been told it needs shipped back to Amseterdam (no doubt for another 3-4 month turnaround, and may not even work after al that!!). Enough is enough, I'm getting a refund, they have had enough chances.

Product, when it works, is first class. But my experience with quality control has been nothing short of appalling.....Buyer beware.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative with a seller in Dublin (that is of a similar quality/appearance to Van Moof???

There are other threads for those sorts of recommendations I think.

FWIW I had the seat post clamp issue, replaced and fixed relatively quickly. Then I had an e-shifter problem but the replacement was sent to me within two days and it was easy to DIY with their instructional video.

Since then it has worked perfectly. Now that there’s an authorised repair shop being designated in Dublin, I’m far less worried about things going wrong with it.

VanMoof have announced a new PowerBank accessory — it's a detachable 3kg battery that can provide 45 to 100km of extra range on top of what the bike itself can provide (the range depends on assist level, obviously). Costs €348.

https://www.vanmoof.com/news/en-US/198392-vanmoof-offers-easier-charging-and-extra-range-with-its-first-ever-powerbank

I'm happy with the range as-is, but might be useful for people with longer commutes, or even people who can't frequently get the bike itself to a plug to charge it.

I noticed the app is recording all my trips in AM times rather than the actual PM, in the app settings there is no time or date options, did you encounter the same issue, or any idea how to adjust it?
    Thanks

I noticed the app is recording all my trips in AM times rather than the actual PM

Not sure about that. Is your phone set to Ireland location and units in the app settings set to kilometres?

I had an issue after the last app update where my battery reading went completely haywire. Wasn’t just me based on what I read online. Think it was an issue on VanMoof’s side. Fixed itself after a few days though.

VanMoof have announced a new PowerBank accessory

Don’t think I’d have much use for this. I’m getting roughly 70 kilometres on level 4 fairly easily (I keep the bike between 20-80% but that’s what a simple sum tells me). That’s more than enough for me to spin around my area and the city.

I noticed that the price of the Peace of Mind insurance has gone up at least 50€ since I bought mine. My wife has an X3 due to be delivered next week, she didn’t bother with the extras.

Not sure about that. Is your phone set to Ireland location and units in the app settings set to kilometres?

I had an issue after the last app update where my battery reading went completely haywire. Wasn’t just me based on what I read online. Think it was an issue on VanMoof’s side. Fixed itself after a few days though.

After the last update, the time issue was resolved, however all my rides prior to the update have been deleted and it’s showing that I only had one ride in May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

Hi all, just a heads-up.... Vanmoof will be jacking up the prices shortly for the S3/X3, so buy very soon if you want to pay €1998 (plus €50 delivery). In my few months cycling it, my S3 has been a wonderful and solid bike. Its built-in alarm is quite effective, by the way... I've witnessed this when I had locked it up and it got some unwanted attention from chavs. It's still good to have a second lock though, don't depend on the kick-lock.

While I'm here, if you're intending to buy one (which I'd highly recommend by the way), feel free to use my Vanmoof Referral Code: ADV-LT11-XUMW-NHZY

This will give you €100 off the price of any accessory or Peace of Mind cover (aka Bike Hunters) when you've bought your bike (I'd recommend the Abus GranitX 6500 folding lock), and it'll also give me €100 off my next Vanmoof, so it's a win-win for both of us!

Enjoy!

Update from me is that I’ve had a bit of a gears issue recently. Still works but feels like the gears are skipping when cruising.

Customer service are fantastic though (once they get back to you). Sent me a new e-shifter that I swapped out but it didn’t fix the issue. I have a new rear wheel on the way which I suspect will do the trick because I reckon the problem is with the gear hub. An online search leads me to believe that I’m not the only one.

My wife’s bike has arrived too so we’re now a two VanMoof household. I’ve put 600km on mine since January and still think it’s the best thing that I’ve bought in a good while.

Aye, I guess I should post a few positive updates, the tendency is to only ever post if you're having trouble which gives a lopsided view of them! I've done about 260km in the last couple of months and it's all working great.

Got some decent pannier bags and VanMoof's front basket for the X3, and it's really fun to pop down to the shops with it, especially those last few weeks where the school traffic was mad.

Got some decent pannier bags and VanMoof's front basket for the X3, and it's really fun to pop down to the shops with it, especially those last few weeks where the school traffic was mad.

I’ll probably end up getting the rear carrier/pannier for my S3 whenever I do actually end up going back to the office.
    Herself is going to see how she gets on with her X3 then decide what to do. Would you recommend the X3 front basket?

I’ll probably end up getting the rear carrier/pannier for my S3 whenever I do actually end up going back to the office.
    Herself is going to see how she gets on with her X3 then decide what to do. Would you recommend the X3 front basket?

Yeah definitely! I don't know if any other baskets would be compatible with it, but it's very solid, and honestly I think the X3 looks incomplete without it.

It fits a Fjällräven Kånken bag perfectly, and I've carried bigger items on top of it with a couple of bungee cords - there's a kind of lip at the front that helps keep things from sliding forward if you're placing them on top:

x3_front_carrier.png

Only negative about it is that it reduces visibility of the front light a bit.

Oh, one hitch with the panniers I have on the rear carrier is if they're weighed down too unevenly on the side where the kick-lock button is, they'll droop down a little bit and press on that button while you're turning corners, which is noisy, and probably unhealthy for the lock.

It's easily enough sorted by just making sure to balance the panniers, or putting more weight on the side opposite the button, but it freaked me out the first time it happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

I picked up the front carrier for the S3 a few weeks ago... one lesson that I learned pretty quickly is not to use it to carry beer bottles. The rattling from going over a few too many speed-bumps and pot-holes caused three out of eight of them to fizz through their caps and all over the carrier. It works fine for cans though.

I picked up two "Cobags" for €20 and they're great. https://copenhagenbags.com/collections/bikezac They're heavy-duty woven plastic shopping bags with a rail on the top edge of one side to clip onto your pannier. They're light, they fold or roll up quite small when not in use, and are very handy for when doing the groceries. The clips can be a little tight on the VM official carrier, but they fit with a little effort.

Is Alarm Alert what I hope it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Is Alarm Alert what I hope it is?

You can edit the alert. Are you talking about Alarm notifications to your phone?

• Advertisement

Ah, right, yeah, I was hoping for phone notifications, an absolutely criminally missing feature.

Advertisement