Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Ireland or Cycling Ireland?

• 03-06-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Email from cycling Ireland to announce their new brand identity. I suddenly got an urge to look at changing electricty supplier! The new logo is literally the power button symbol on most electrical items.

https://www.cyclingireland.ie/

There was nothing wrong with the old brand identity, though the website did need some work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Email from cycling Ireland to announce their new brand identity. I suddenly got an urge to look at changing electricty supplier! The new logo is literally the power button symbol on most electrical items.

https://www.cyclingireland.ie/

There was nothing wrong with the old brand identity, though the website did need some work.

An overhead view of a roundy looking cyclists seems pretty apt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

An overhead view of a roundy looking cyclists seems pretty apt

Its not strong enough on its own to imply a cyclist or cycling related organistation. Logos are meant to communicate an identity. All I get is a logo for a electricity supply company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

probably cost a fortune as well (i hate corporate rebrands)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Presumably the designer was looking to incorporate a "c" and "i" into the logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I saw the same but my guess the design intent was a crankset with teh C and I. They also removed all of their images from Instagram and replaced it with a banner of the new logo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

The “on/off” switch was my first thought also, and now I can’t get that out of my head when I see their Twitter feed. It’s a crap re-brand, though hopefully the website/ app will be vastly improved.
    And here I was thinking my licence fee went nowhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I really really hated the old identity. :P

I don't think the new one is too bad. Nothing groundbreaking but decent work - and by an Irish Agency as well which is good to see.

Website is a vast improvement.

Having been involved in lots of these kind of gigs I guarantee you nobody is going home with a big fat cheque here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

daragh_ wrote: »
    and by an Irish Agency as well which is good to see.
    who did the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

who did the work?

Wilson Creative in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It seems to me to be very similar in concept to the Peloton logo, which also looks like an overhead view of a roundy cyclist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

daragh_ wrote: »
    Wilson Creative in Cork

It's a really really good logo, good amalgamation. Perfect for all platforms, print, web, social media and app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

A C minus .... no matter how i try to broaden my mind i just don't see anything resembling a bike or a cyclist. Apparently its an overhead view of a cyclist....... my 9 year old grandson would draw a better one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Crank makes sense, but I suppose they wouldn't be planning on having to have it explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

secman wrote: »
    A C minus .... no matter how i try to broaden my mind i just don't see anything resembling a bike or a cyclist. Apparently its an overhead view of a cyclist....... my 9 year old grandson would draw a better one :)
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Crank makes sense, but I suppose they wouldn't be planning on having to have it explained.

thing with logos i thought they should be instantly recognisable. that tells you nothing about the organisation first thing i thought was why are they using a power button as a logo.

so its failed instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

I like the simplicity of the new brand but it is somewhat cryptic for someone unfamiliar with CI. I think customers become attached to the brands they like and are very resistant to change. Just look at Aer Lingus as an example. Personally I liked the Aer lingus classic logo from the late 60s... before I was born. Rebrands can divide opinion but sometimes it is good to mark changes in an organisation or offering with a new look. Brands can go stale too, and become part of the wallpaper. I'm involved with a cycling related rebrand myself at present, but it cost nothing. ;) .
    Just as long as they don't mess with the Campagnolo brand.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Seems to be something management do in many cases to try to show they're doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Don't forget the logo is the image and the type, bound together. Image not to be used with the type and vice versa.

Used together it's quite an appealing logo and very obvious.

Moves the depiction of the organisation subtly away from a sports organisation (which it isn't really).

Well done CI.

Advertisement