Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruella

• 17-02-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

Looks like Disney’s take on a joker style origin story

https://youtu.be/gmRKv7n2If8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

OU812 wrote: »

Highly doubtful looking at the writers.

Its Disney, so this will be primarily aimed at as wide an audience as possible so will probably be PG-13 . £££

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, she does say "I'm just getting started", and the cars place the story in the 1970s (Ford Granada, anyone?), so I smell "franchise".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Looks like a bad parody.

The SNL 'Grouch' parody was more faithful to the character than this.

They seem to be trying to make her into Tim Burton's 'Selina Kyle/ Catwoman' from Batman Returns.

On the plus side, it'll at least be funny. Unintentionally so, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So are people expected to like her, even though she's known for killing animals for clothes and attempted to kill puppies?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So are people expected to like her, even though she's known for killing animals for clothes and attempted to kill puppies?

I expect it's going to be like Maleficent-usual 'make villainess sympathetic' kinda deal.

Ultimately it ruined Maleficent.

Someone I know made decent point about the film. Folks have been stuck in lockdown, many of them with their pets, many of whom are dogs.

Trying to make a villain who kills dogs for their fur sympathetic is a hard sell.
    After the pandemic, it's damn near an impossibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »

That was my first, exact thought. This is a character who revelled in a desire to skin dogs. Don't really want to watch that characters rise/fall. Methinks this film will try for the angle of "here's someone even MORE evil", just so the script can sidestep Cruella's notoriety, and spin her as some misunderstood creature.

TBH I long checked out from these Disney live action remakes and prequels. The barrel is being well and truly scrapped for every last nostalgic dollar and, to hell with that.

The Babylon Bee has a funny parody of the current 'explain away a villainess' origins so as to make her sympathetic'.

https://babylonbee.com/news/disney-announces-new-movie-telling-sympatheic-feminist-origin-story-of-xenomorph-queen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If The Rock can buddy up with The Stath in the F&F franchise, then Hollywood knows we're willing to forget anything we already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    That was my first, exact thought. This is a character who revelled in a desire to skin dogs. Don't really want to watch that characters rise/fall. Methinks this film will try for the angle of "here's someone even MORE evil", just so the script can sidestep Cruella's notoriety, and spin her as some misunderstood creature.

TBH I long checked out from these Disney live action remakes and prequels. The barrel is being well and truly scrapped for every last nostalgic dollar and, to hell with that.

I would have thought the same about The Joker but that film made a billion dollars. I can't see this doing anywhere near that but Hollywood does seem obsessed at the moment with making horrible people seem sympathetic ... I wonder why :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would have thought the same about The Joker but that made a billion dollars. I can't see this doing anywhere near that but Hollywood does seem obsessed at the moment with making horrible people seem sympathetic ... I wonder why :pac:

It is an odd trend ATM all right; I dunno. I think with Joker, that film really benefited from the hysterics across the internet before it even came out; all resulting in a cinematic Streisand Effect. Who didn't want to see the movie that would apparently cause incels to riot? :D

But both with Joker, and something more equivalent like Maleficent, the evil characters felt outsized enough you could make them the protagonists. Being as they were a supervillain and fantasy, evil witch respectively.

Cruella instead is a nasty woman who wanted to skin puppies, and ... that's a big, very relatable level of evil. Even the trailer is nodding at it, with that shot of Dalmations looking worried; so this film's obviously going to nod towards that malevolence. That's an odd choice; "hey, don't forget this woman will eventually want to kill pupsters!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It is an odd trend ATM all right; I dunno. I think with Joker, that film really benefited from the hysterics across the internet before it even came out; all resulting in a cinematic Streisand Effect. Who didn't want to see the movie that would apparently cause incels to riot? :D

But both with Joker, and something more equivalent like Maleficent, the evil characters felt outsized enough you could make them the protagonists. Being as they were a supervillain and fantasy, evil witch respectively.

Cruella instead is a nasty woman who wanted to skin puppies, and ... that's a big, very relatable level of evil. Even the trailer is nodding at it, with that shot of Dalmations looking worried; so this film's obviously going to nod towards that malevolence. That's an odd choice; "hey, don't forget this woman will eventually want to kill pupsters!" :pac:

I actually feel the opposite, like you say skinning puppies is relatable but it's an accepted evil in a way because there is a fur trade and when you really get down to it is fur trade really that much worse than the meat trade and I say that as someone who loves meat. But these are accepted evils within society to a degree and therefore I actually think it's easier to make Cruella relatable than it is someone like Joker who, you know, kills people.

Anyway I probably I won't be seeing this because as a rule I don't like the idea of giving well established villains sympathetic origins,it just dilutes them imo.

Also on a kind of related note, I always forget that there was a live action remake of 101 Dalmatians like 20 years ago before the recent blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There was even a sequel, 102 Dalmatians

Joker was meant to cause mass violence among supposed crazy people. The media were left tragically disappointed when nothing happened.
    Then a Machete fight broke out during a screening of Frozen 2. :rolleyes:
    Crazy people will always find a reason to be violent. The Son of Sam killer thought his neighbour's dog was telling him to kill.

They'll neuter her in some way. Maleficent is one of the most amazing Disney villains (in the animated Disney film Sleeping Beauty)... the Angelina Jolie film is a trashfire cesspit that shouldn't exist.
    Maleficent 'delighted' in being evil... practically bathed in it.
    When the Angelina Jolie movie came out, they 'had' to make her a victim. Turned her from villain to hero, even changing the 'curse' she put on Beauty, and having her try to remove the curse.

I feel like I can 'guess' what the Cruella movie will do, and neither one will be intelligent. You'll either have a 'she's a tragic victim' or 'mentally ill'... and both are egregious and stupid.
    (If Sia's movie 'Music', or the remake of The Witches taught folks anything, you potentially stigmatize anything-folks will have to grovel. Especially after The Witches led to apologies).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dades wrote: »
    If The Rock can buddy up with The Stath in the F&F franchise,

Ha ha, but in fairness that film was great craic, no wonder Diesel got in a snot that he wasn't in it when it was a much more entertaining movie without him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cruella goes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,804 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OU812 wrote: »

The Joker Wears Prada :p

• Registered Users Posts: 84,804 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Emma Stone channelling Eva Green

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Emma Stone channelling Eva Green

More like she's trying to imitate Michelle Pfeiffer's Selina Kyle, from Batman Returns.

Even down to the 'I am woman, hear me roar' line.

The Critical Drinker isnt a fan of the trailer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This will debut on Disney+ on the same day as it's cinema release on the Premier Access section.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/disney-postpones-black-widow-shang-chi-1234935874/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

I dont get why disney has to do something like this. I mean it started with maleficent. Im getting descendants (the tv show) vibes with the direction they're going through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sunny_Arms wrote: »
    I dont get why disney has to do something like this. I mean it started with maleficent. Im getting descendants (the tv show) vibes with the direction they're going through.

It saves them from doing something original.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

It saves them from doing something original.

it's like their creative juices/creative staff are running out of ideas. :confused:

Florence + The Machine have released a new song, Call Me Cruella.

The single features on the soundtrack for the new feature-length Cruella, Disney’s origin film for the One Hundred And One Dalmatians villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Watched this in a cinema (!) here in UK. Lots of fun, great period detail, amazing soundtrack, exceptional performance from Emma Thompson BUT... it has about four acts. It feels like a condensed series at times rather than a movie. I went from loving what I was seeing in the middle of the film to hoping it would wrap up to halt my declining admiration for it.

Enjoyable, but could've used a tough edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Has a high score on RT with the audience 97% but looks like a bit of a flop especially as it had a $200m cost , one of those films falling between stools

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's a ludicrous budget if true and there were no major reshoots. For what amounts to The Joker Wears Prada; I'm not even sure how you could get to that number - though maybe the failure might signal the end to the live action dícking around

It did much worse than Mulan (39% lower) and A Quiet Place 2 did much better on a production cost of $61m, the film probably streamed another million watches so thats another $30m

https://screenrant.com/cruella-movie-budget-cost/
    Cruella's production budget is reportedly $200 million, making it a very expensive endeavor. That price tag is higher than other Disney live-action re-imaginings like Aladdin ($183 million), Beauty and the Beast ($160 million), and Maleficent: Mistress of Evil ($185 million). Cruella's budget is more in line with what one would expect from a tentpole comic book adaptation.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3708126721/

Grosses
    DOMESTIC (64%)
    $28,631,077
    INTERNATIONAL (36%)
    $16,100,000
    WORLDWIDE
    $44,731,077

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hopefully a signal to disney to stop producing mediocre adaptations nobody asked for and concentrate on some original content.

Hopefully a signal to disney to stop producing mediocre adaptations nobody asked for and concentrate on some original content.

I dont know what they were thinking, its not a kids film, nobody was going to buy into a female Joker film stupid idea.

• Advertisement

554810.png

Advertisement