Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling in Ireland guidebook

• 02-06-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I bought a copy of David Flanagan’s Cycling in Ireland during the lockdown, to give me something to dream about and plan for when the lockdown eased.

I’m not connected with the author but, having done his circuit of Mount Leinster last weekend, I would highly recommend the book to anyone looking for new places to cycle. There is a lot of research gone into the book and some inspiring photos. It’s a good book both for planning and for dreaming. Guidebooks don’t seem to be a big thing among cyclists, but in my case if I hadn’t bought the book I’d probably have done something familiar in Wicklow. It’s also nice to support Irish authors.

https://threerockbooks.com/product/cycling-in-ireland/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know him to say hello to; brother in law of a friend. nice chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I bought the book during lockdown. It looks really good, although I’ve been waiting patiently for lockdown to end, and then for my new, comfy gravel bike to arrive and replace complement my hybrid, to start doing some of the routes. The bike shipped today. Can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I bought it a while back as well.
    It is a lovely book to look at and have on the book shelf.
    Only problem like all these books is that it will be a bit outdated in a few years with new routes coming onstream.
    Still it is a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

You’ll just have to cycle all those routes before it goes out of date. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Zen0 wrote: »

…having done his circuit of Mount Leinster last weekend…

I have the book as well and have half an idea to cycle from South Dublin to do that loop and back. It’s coming in at about 230k which would be my longest spin to date.

Do you mind if I ask where you started from and how tough it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Only problem like all these books is that it will be a bit outdated in a few years with new routes coming onstream.

I've bought a few cycling guidebooks and was thinking the opposite - the routes will stay the same because it's not like roads will disappear!

Some good books here:

https://www.gillbooks.ie/search?q=cycling

Used the Munster and Kerry ones when I was in Killarney a few years ago - some great routes like the Skellig Ring and Gap of Dunloe-Black Valley-Molls Gap.

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    I have the book as well and have half an idea to cycle from South Dublin to do that loop and back. It’s coming in at about 230k which would be my longest spin to date.

I wimped out and drove to the start in Bunclody. I’m glad I did. It’s a tough route with an absolutely brutal sting in the tail. I like hills, but Mount Leinster is probably the most brutal climb I have done anywhere.
    I have a club mate who has done it from Dublin, but he’s made of sterner stuff than me. So it is possible.
    If you have your own transport, I would recommend doing it from Bunclody and enjoying the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The author has made the GPX files publicly accessible. https://threerockbooks.com/cycling/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Zen0 wrote: »
    I wimped out and drove to the start in Bunclody. I’m glad I did. It’s a tough route with an absolutely brutal sting in the tail. I like hills, but Mount Leinster is probably the most brutal climb I have done anywhere.
    I have a club mate who has done it from Dublin, but he’s made of sterner stuff than me. So it is possible.
    If you have your own transport, I would recommend doing it from Bunclody and enjoying the experience.

Really enjoyed the book and have had a brief natter with the author over facebook. Seems like a very genuine and enthusiastic type.

I've in-laws living up by the 9 Stones and cycle from Dublin a couple of times a year but am always a bit knackered by the time I hit the Mt Leinster carpark so have yet to attempt it. Maybe this year....

smacl wrote: »
    Maybe this year....

Gwan, you know you won’t be happy until you do it. :)

Good choice of in-laws. There are some really nice roads around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

The author has made the GPX files publicly accessible. https://threerockbooks.com/cycling/

He has, but if anyone is using the gpx routes he's put together, I'd urge you to spend the twenty or so quid on the book as well, even if it's just to support the work he put in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

cletus wrote: »
    He has, but if anyone is using the gpx routes he's put together, I'd urge you to spend the twenty or so quid on the book as well, even if it's just to support the work he put in

I don't need another book but I'd be more than happy to donate via an online method. I see he has a file for the Táin trail, that route is really hard to find online.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Have the book and swear by it, it’s very handy for weekends away to parts of the country I wouldn’t know very well.
    He has another book with Richard Creagh called exploring Ireland’s Atlantic way which is equally as handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Super book, as good for escapism and generating ideas as anything else. I've done a few of the spins and variants on them. Can't wait to do the Iveragh one, sounds amazing, he's a blog on that actual route on line where he describes it as the best route in the book. In the modern world you can find other people's spins online but for the sake of 20 quid, some escapism and idea generating I'd second the above recommendations for a purchase.

My variant on this was to get a bus form Dublin to Gorey (wexford bus, a couple a day), spin over and on to Kilkenny, then bus (dublin coach) or train home. So I didn't do the south side of his route at all.

The climb from Bunclody to the Nine Stones is grand, just a normal climb. The access road to the mast however is insane, I do a lot of hills and enjoy them but this is like nothing I've ever come across. Its kind of like Kilmashogue but 20 times longer. I actually changed my cassette and RD to easier gearing after it I was so fcking traumatised! I'd really like to go back and do it again but once the fitness is up.

Personally doing a climb like that in a 230k cycle would be pretty insane but maybe you like suffering! Definitely doable but a serious effort if you plan on going to the mast. Could possibly beat a retreat to Gorey and a bus home if it ended up being too much to cycle back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

a148pro wrote: »

Its kind of like Kilmashogue but 20 times longer. I actually changed my cassette and RD to easier gearing after it I was so fcking traumatised! I'd really like to go back and do it again but once the fitness is up.

Seriously, this is post of the year potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I have the book as well and find it great. Sure, you can find the routes online, but nothing beats reading about it in a book on my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

a148pro wrote: »
    Personally doing a climb like that in a 230k cycle would be pretty insane but maybe you like suffering!

After reading the feedback on the idea I just realised I’m busy that day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭this.lad

I cycled down from home one day, about 3 or 4 years ago, it was 105km round trip, and started up the mast road, got about 300m up the road and said, 'if I stay going here, I'm not getting back home'

I plan to drive a bit closer, maybe Bagnealstown, this year and take her from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seriously, this is post of the year potential.

Maybe for wimp list :)
    After reading the feedback on the idea I just realised I’m busy that day :-)

Ah do it and update us on the pain! On a serious note, don't let us discourage you, its definitely doable but going that much into red half way into a long cycle might be challenging later in the cycle. Once you're aware of that you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

I'm the author of Cycling in Ireland and just stumbled across this thread now. Thanks everyone for the positive comments, really appreciated.

I intend to update the book as more routes, particularly MTB trail centres and Greenways, open up.

Re: Mount Leinster. I have to admit I walked a lot of the last stretch and even that was tough. My legs were burnt out and I ran out of gas and gears. Might have spun up it in the granny gear of a MTB. Great route though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement