Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superintending 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    Nothing in the post here today either.

There are three schools within about one km of me. If I get any of them, they can stick it. A couple of weeks sitting in the sun/wind/cold is getting more and more attractive.

I got the magic letter this morning. I’m 50 miles from my home which is a surprise

BBB25 wrote: »
    I received my letter today. Does anyone know how far in km you need to be in order to get the over night fee? I’m placed in a school 1 hour 30 from my home house. 1 hour 10 mins (100km) from the school I teach in. Thanks

Pretty sure 100km qualifies for overnight rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BBB25

Pretty sure 100km qualifies for overnight rate.

According to google maps my normal school is 105km from the center I’ve been given. So fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tiredteach

I just got mine , late post. Schools 20 minutes from the house and I got an LCA centre for the week. I usually be on a lot longer but it’s probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Hontou

Got my letter too. 60km from my house, 58km from my school. Says my centre is open until the 29th. Surprised I'm so far away too. Will drive past 15 schools on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Got my letter. I have to collect a box at the distribution centre on three separate occasions over the period. Is anybody else doing this? Why not give all the relevant boxes to us at once, on the 8 June?

Also, does anybody know where the rates per day and for collecting at the distribution centre are published?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Can anyone remember the petrol allowance? I'm 50km from my home and 53km from my school which I wasn't expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

I just saw in letter today that we have to watch video. Looked at the last email we received last Friday and it said an invite with link would be sent to us through Combined Media.
    I looked through all mail including junk mail also as was advised and no invite. Just wondering if anybody got an invite yet. We are supposed to watch all sections of this video. Video apparently going up on SEC website on Friday.

I know for oral examinations you must be 100km or more from your own school to school where you examine to receive overnight allowance. I remember from previous years with superintending they chose the closest to the center ie your school or house. I am almost sure it’s 100km. I’m just glad that I don’t t have to cross over busy traffic in city this year.One year doing superintending, even though I was only 40km from the center, I ended up being stuck for over an hour in traffic most mornings - one morning for over 1.5 hours due to crash on the M50!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I will be withdrawing. I got a centre that is 2km away. They can’t give me my timetable either only a start and end date.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Hontou

I looked at my school's website to check what LC subjects they offer to estimate my timetable. I'm on until the last day and it is a very big school so at a rough guess my centre may be used for most subjects. The school doesn't offer about 7/8 more niche subjects so am guessing what days will be half days. Could be completely wrong but I have my estimated timetable now. Have also checked out my weird back-roads drive on google maps. (Yes, I should be doing more constructive stuff with my time!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Millem wrote: »
    I will be withdrawing. I got a centre that is 2km away. They can’t give me my timetable either only a start and end date.
    OMG, must be one of the schools near me? That's shocking, never heard of anyone getting that close to home before.

OMG, must be one of the schools near me? That's shocking, never heard of anyone getting that close to home before.

Close to both of us!! Sent you a pm!!

Can anyone remember the petrol allowance? I'm 50km from my home and 53km from my school which I wasn't expecting.

37.95c up to 1.2L
    39.86 for 1.2-1.5L
    44.79 > 1.5L

• Registered Users Posts: 41 finicio

Millem wrote: »

Il be doing the same. 9km from my own school.

finicio wrote: »
    Il be doing the same. 9km from my own school.

If I saw my timetable and it was half days that would be ok but not full days. I would make a loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Have superintendents to arrive on Tuesday to set up etc? Any info on that? Exam aide in school here, unsure what to expect Tuesday.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Have superintendents to arrive on Tuesday to set up etc? Any info on that? Exam aide in school here, unsure what to expect Tuesday.

It just says on the letter to make contact with the school before/on 8th before arriving and doing the necessary paperwork and admin on arrival. So yes superintendents will be in the school on the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

It just says on the letter to make contact with the school before/on 8th before arriving and doing the necessary paperwork and admin on arrival. So yes superintendents will be in the school on the 8th.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Finally got notice. LCA and 9km away. I don't even get a full week.
    LCA the only positive thing. I like LCA students.

I won't be bothering again next year. The bus fare to the school would be 3 euro cash 2.25 Leap. The expenses will give me 3.58.

It's a pisstake really.

Not a lot of time to fix any issues if I can't check things until I get it all back from the back of beyonds to the school. Anyway, that's their problem, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Its my first time doing it so I assumed I'd get a short stint but looks like I'll be there until the end.
    I assume that training video will go through everything that we need to do next week will it? I'm a bit anxious about getting something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Don't worry, the book tells you everything day by day. The only thing that is really important is to double check the right papers before each session. Everything else that could go wrong is minor. There will be an exam aide ECT knocking around and they usually know the system too.

And the geography takes ages to hand out. Open that package a little earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

so the petrol expenses are from your school or home whichever is closer? I got a school 55km from my home but 18km from school. I don't understand the logic of them having the system above (part from trying to screw us). We never would have been driving into the school in June anyways. I understand it for things like inservice where you would have driven into the school otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DubLad69

What is the distance required to get the daily allowance? Also, is it straight line, or via Google maps?

so the petrol expenses are from your school or home whichever is closer? I got a school 55km from my home but 18km from school. I don't understand the logic of them having the system above (part from trying to screw us). We never would have been driving into the school in June anyways. I understand it for things like inservice where you would have driven into the school otherwise.

That change came during the recession. All SEC mileage used to be from your house. I could understand it during the school year but as you said, we are not in school in June/July. We are employed as independent contractors essentially for the exams so the distance from where my normal workplace is shouldn't come into it.

DubLad69 wrote: »
    What is the distance required to get the daily allowance? Also, is it straight line, or via Google maps?

100km for overnight allowance. I presume it's via Google maps, you can't drive in a straight line. If you are under 100km you would get the daily mileage and either of the allowances 5-10 hour or 10+ hours along with the mileage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Phones are out of order in the school I was assigned to. It's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tiredteach

School is already not happy with the time I’ll reach them from the industrial centre. There’s flip all I can do about it. Also got a much shorter stint than other years. This is my last year at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DubLad69

If you are given a city centre school that requires you to pay for parking, will the SEC refund this?

DubLad69 wrote: »
    If you are given a city centre school that requires you to pay for parking, will the SEC refund this?

If you have receipts maybe.
    I would clarify it in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Elenorrigby

I have been assigned a school an hour from my home - almost 70km. Is mileage taxed?

Advertisement