Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pump Action Shotgun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Can you legally own a 3 shot pump-action shotgun?

Yes you can.Did you not already apply for shotgun licence,what did you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I strongly suggest you read over this web page - https://garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/firearm-certificate-renewals.html and inparticular this document-
    An Garda Siochana. The Garda Commissioner's Guidelines
    https://garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/commissioner-s-guidelines-2018.pdf
    Altough it is not the letter of the law it is guideance document used by Garda reference firearms ownership and other important areas of legal firearms use in Ireland.
    If you wish to seek further detail then there are the various Acts for these Google is your friend or trawl through the stickies found in the various forums here.

To save you asking potentially the same questions again refer back to this familiar thread-
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117147744.
    The potential questions you may have in relation to pump action shotguns are found in this thread that you started.

This is a great place for advice and direction but we as members are not always right and therefore you, for good due diligence, should double check the value and reliability of the information passed on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Paddy Mc Ginn

Asus1 wrote: »
    Yes you can.Did you not already apply for shotgun licence,what did you get.

I did I was just curious because a shop was selling a 6 round pump action shotgun plugged to 2 rounds and I was wondering why they didn’t plug it to 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I did I was just curious because a shop was selling a 6 round pump action shotgun plugged to 2 rounds and I was wondering why they didn’t plug it to 3

1 in the chamber 2 in the mag maybe??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

The wording for shotgun is based on the total number of rounds the shotgun can contain, not just what the magazine can contain.
    Thus for 3 in a non restricted shotgun you are stuck with a mag of 2 and one in the chamber.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Why don't you join a club, decide what you like shooting most, and buy the best gun for that discipline. Rather than "Can i have a centrefire pistol, can i have a pump action, etc). No point blowing your money on a pump action if you decide you prefer rifle shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As you are waiting to licence an older Browning, why not see how you get on with it first?
    Join a clay shooting club,and get lost of practice in.
    Your gun should create a bit of interest, and you'll probably be able to shoot a round if Clay's with someone's pump action shotgun on exchange for letting them have a go with your Remington...

Advertisement