Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To good to be true... what am I missing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

This statement isn't great and may affect who will buy and how they will source the monies
    PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME BOUNDARY / MAPPING DISCREPANCIES ARE SUCH THAT LENDNING INSTITUTIONS MAY NOT LEND ON THIS PROPERTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

You could check the property price register to check what it sold for previously in case it's a typo in the first article

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its unmortgageable - "some" will be "all".

The house looks like it could be across three folios on landdirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

HI All,
    we are in the hunt for a new family home (detached 3 or 4 bed) in or around castleknock area. We came across this house but it was way over our budget :

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/four-on-the-market-three-beds-in-dublin-15-39097773.html

However, it has now come back on the market approx 1/3rd of the cost less than it previously was :
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-cottage-delwood-grove-castleknock-dublin-15/4505392

Just wondering if anyone can advise on what may have caused such a dramatic reduction in the price... what am I missing as it seems too good to be true.

Any advice welcome

Have a look at the house on street view - it seems as though they have extended out the back onto land that they don't own......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Just looked it up on Google maps and the house is a totally different style to the rest of the estate - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I also wonder what the mapping descrepancies are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

It's an awful ugly house anyway. Inside and out. Move on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PCros wrote: »
    Just looked it up on Google maps and the house is a totally different style to the rest of the estate - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I also wonder what the mapping descrepancies are?

Its a replacement, albeit for a 'single storey' house according to the planning so I suspect there was an older house the estate was built around.

As I mentioned above, it looks like there's three folios on the site which is going to be costly to sort. If the vendor isn't in a position to do it, its down to the buyer and you will not get a loan for it.

MacDanger wrote: »
    Have a look at the house on street view - it seems as though they have extended out the back onto land that they don't own......

Just noticed that, its come right out onto the path and cut across the grass verge that was there.

There's one thing sneaking in a bit of land that cannot be seen but this is in plain view on a main road!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nice looking house.
    Ask the EA whats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

MacDanger wrote: »

Ha, the in-laws live on one of the Kirkpatrick's there and I always thought that wall looked out of place. It all makes sense now :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Read the last few pages in the 'Who'd Live in a House Like This?' thread in After Hours. That house featured there and there's a boundary issue that makes it's suitable for a cash buyer only.

Still a hefty price for a house you might not be able to sell.

L1011 wrote: »
    As I mentioned above, it looks like there's three folios on the site which is going to be costly to sort. If the vendor isn't in a position to do it, its down to the buyer and you will not get a loan for it.

Question from the simple man here...

What is the difference between 1, 2 or 3 folios for one address and why would you not get a loan for it?

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Boundary discrepancy" makes it sound like someone has put a fence post in the wrong place.

What is should say is "the entirety of what remains of the garden is actually on public land".

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Look on "Who would live in a house like this" thread for info re the boundaries

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd hazard a guess that what happened there is it went up, someone went to buy, they got so far through the buying process and discovered a problem with the site boundaries, and let it go as it was too much hassle. I've seen it before on a site here near us.
    I'd suggest you contact the agent and ask what the story is. It could be a bank sale also - we have viewed bank sales and the estate agent was quite up front with us that the banks wants cash and will move on their timelines - ie, you need to sell your house first and be prepared to rent until the bank are ready to process the transaction.
    It appears the original house and land did extend to the boundary visible on Google maps (planning permission F08A/0580 - slow afternoon), but there is obviously some issue there - estate agent should explain it.

Question from the simple man here...

What is the difference between 1, 2 or 3 folios for one address and why would you not get a loan for it?

The seller may not actually own all of the land its built on is the main issue.

Part of what landdirect is showing is leasehold and looks like it should be the garden of a different house; but boundaries are not always accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its bizzare to say the least, how did they get planning permission for that when it looks so out of place to say the least.

Also very odd the garden seems to of consumed a common area grass verge behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I suddenly feel better about the state of my cobblelock drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

There's a Luas stop in Coolmine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

sweetie wrote: »
    There's a Luas stop in Coolmine?

Train station is about 40 yards from there. I'm guessing they got their mass transits confused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks all. Basicaly, walk away and avoid the hassle.... However, if this is going to be our forever house what are the potential consequences? Or are we just unlikely to ever get a mortgage for the purchase?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How did nobody connected with the council not notice that on the public road?

thanks all. Basicaly, walk away and avoid the hassle.... However, if this is going to be our forever house what are the potential consequences? Or are we just unlikely to ever get a mortgage for the purchase?

You will never get a mortgage until the boundary issues are resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

you won't get a mortgage and face costly legal bill to get the boundary sorted (including potentially having to 'give back' the walled area)

awec wrote: »
    You will never get a mortgage until the boundary issues are resolved.

Do you think its a case of demolishing the shed and pulling the wall in from the road in line with the other houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭C14N

Theoretically, could you just buy it and give/sell the bit that's obviously on public land back to the council to resolve the boundary problem?

In any case, that house is almost the definition of a McMansion. Looks very gawdy and oversized imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Do you think its a case of demolishing the shed and pulling the wall in from the road in line with the other houses?

on a solicitor will be able to provide you that level of detail...

• Advertisement

And in terms of sorting the boundary issue, you must account for the fact that if it was straightforward the current owner would have already done it and not had to knock a huge chunk off their asking price.

I think this property will struggle to sell as it doesn't really appeal to any segment of buyer. Mortgaged buyers can't touch it. Someone with the cash to buy it and sort the boundary problem is likely to have much better alternatives elsewhere without the headache.

Advertisement