Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should i get a new bike?

• 02-06-2021 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭

Hows things!?

I have had this bike nearly a year now. https://www.decathlon.ie/hybrid-trekking/300777-56759-riverside-500-hybrid-bike-white.html#/424-demodelsize-200l/28117-demodelcolor-8405209

I find it grand for most trips but its starting to kill me on long journeys lately.

Me mates have mentioned a few times I don't look comfortable on the bike. Ive tried raising the seat but it doesn't really help.
    I am wondering do I need something bigger for starters?

I'm 6ft3 and the bike size is Large but I find in general extra large is impossible to find especially atm and every time I go to check one of those size charts online it wont give me any information when I enter my details.

I cycled from Citywest to Dalkey at the weekend and on the way back my knees and arms where at me big time. I had to get off and walk a bit for a while so I cant keep that up obviously.

I keep getting told I should sell what I have and upgrade to more of a road bike with a better setup but I haven't looked into it to much yet plus there's hardly any stock anyway!

I just wanted to ask on here as yous all clearly know more about it than I do haha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Yes.

I didn't read the post, just the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anything to add to the yes? Bit more detail on why and what I should be looking for etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the cycling forum. it's a running joke, anyone answering 'no' to the 'should i get a new bike' question faces a threadban.

rule #12
    https://www.velominati.com/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No.

I mean, yes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but yes, if the bike is the wrong size for you, that's one of the most genuinely compelling reasons to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Yes.

I didn't read the post, just the title.

Exactly this.

6'3" is 190cm, and that puts you in decathlon's extra large size for their bikes - they recommend XL for 185cm and above.

but yes, if the bike is the wrong size for you, that's one of the most genuinely compelling reasons to change.

Right so say a grand at the very most on a budget what should I be looking at to give me some kind of idea for when stock is back in. A mate randomly mentioned the Cube sl road pro for example.

https://www.decathlon.ie/content/13-size-guides (halfway down)

you could possibly look at getting a longer stem and a longer seatpost; but if you want to stay with a hybrid, the likes of giant/trek/merida are usually as good as you'll get for your money.
    if you don't go off road, don't get front suspension; you pay more, it's heavier, and doesn't actually provide much functionality.

• Advertisement

https://www.decathlon.ie/content/13-size-guides (halfway down)

you could possibly look at getting a longer stem and a longer seatpost; but if you want to stay with a hybrid, the likes of giant/trek/merida are usually as good as you'll get for your money.
    if you don't go off road, don't get front suspension; you pay more, it's heavier, and doesn't actually provide much functionality.

Thanks for the help!

If I get a chance this week ill bring the bike into a shop and ask them.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

On here, the answer is always YES.
    In fact it's probably 2 that you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

Cube are a good brand and very competitive pricewise. Groupset wise if you get Shimano 105 that will cover you for years in terms of gearing and it would serve you well. Go for hydraulic disc brakes if possible but rims brakes are fine. Cable disc brakes are available but I would rather full hydraulic myself as you dont worry about cable stretch compromising braking quality.
    What would your budget be and would your employer do the bike to work scheme?

On here, the answer is always YES.
    In fact it's probably 2 that you need!

Ya herself will love that ! haha.

Cube are a good brand and very competitive pricewise. Groupset wise if you get Shimano 105 that will cover you for years in terms of gearing and it would serve you well. Go for hydraulic disc brakes if possible but rims brakes are fine. Cable disc brakes are available but I would rather full hydraulic myself as you dont worry about cable stretch compromising braking quality.
    What would your budget be and would your employer do the bike to work scheme?

I am not fully sure about the bike to work yet ill have to mention it to the boss when hes in. Without the scheme id say maybe 1000 at the most if I sell the other bike.

To be honest I don't do a lot of rough cycling its all mostly on the road at the most might have to go threw a bit of a bumpy dirt patch every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Citywest to Dalk and back is 50km so yes, get yourself a road bike and then use the hybrid as your pub bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

A cyclocross bike would give you plenty of options for tackling lots of terrain and all you do is change the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Citywest to Dalk and back is 50km so yes, get yourself a road bike and then use the hybrid as your pub bike.

Agreed, I commuted Deansgrange to Citywest (and back) for a few years and wouldn't have fancied it on a hybrid.

I would suggest even a more road bike type hybrid would make a huge difference.

Suspension is for cross country, not roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Right so say a grand at the very most on a budget what should I be looking at to give me some kind of idea for when stock is back in. A mate randomly mentioned the Cube sl road pro for example.

I bought the model up from that a few years ago, the SL Road Race. Better groupset but otherwise very similar. The prices have gone up since, it cost €1k then, but I got it on the bike to work so I essentially paid half that. It’s a perfect bike for about town and also doing cycles of about the length you’re describing. Quite nippy too although I’m easily outpaced by someone on a proper fast road bike.

I’ve just bought a new bike for doing longer cycles and more varied terrain, because I wanted one and had the money saved, but in all honesty I could probably have gotten away with just buying a new saddle and some gravel tyres. I am looking forward to having drop bars though.

I’d definitely recommend the SL Road range for what you’re describing. If you think you’ll regularly do longer than 50km, maybe look at an endurance road bike. If you want to do the longer rides and bring luggage, you might consider a gravel bike, although you can get bags that’ll strap on to basically any bike these days.

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    I bought the model up from that a few years ago, the SL Road Race. Better groupset but otherwise very similar. The prices have gone up since, it cost €1k then, but I got it on the bike to work so I essentially paid half that. It’s a perfect bike for about town and also doing cycles of about the length you’re describing. Quite nippy too although I’m easily outpaced by someone on a proper fast road bike.

I’ve just bought a new bike for doing longer cycles and more varied terrain, because I wanted one and had the money saved, but in all honesty I could probably have gotten away with just buying a new saddle and some gravel tyres. I am looking forward to having drop bars though.

I’d definitely recommend the SL Road range for what you’re describing. If you think you’ll regularly do longer than 50km, maybe look at an endurance road bike. If you want to do the longer rides and bring luggage, you might consider a gravel bike, although you can get bags that’ll strap on to basically any bike these days.

The trip out to Dalkey that's as far as I've went since i got back into cycling. The most I usually carry is a bag on my back but It wouldn't be anything crazy usually just a jacket my phone bottle of water etc. I have a saddle bag currently as well which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

There should be something 2nd hand out there for 1k. Giant defy, cube attain etc are decent bikes.

Its important to stretch before during and after a cycle. I use resistance cords at home before and after a cycle. if I'm out, I will push one arm against a lamppost with pressure to get a good stretch on my arms. The locals in Hollywood didn't know what was going on last Friday when they seen me pushing agaist a lamppost. I took the discomfort away so I didnt care.

Way too many people just jump on a bike without warming up and down. I train kickboxing too so my coach has been showing me stretches to do before and after. The shoulders/back are very important to stretch out also and can be done with a resistance band before and after a long cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Yes

Went into bike shop today got on few bikes just to test sizes. I'm deffo and XL anyway gonna be really hard to find!

Will it take long getting used to going from a Hybrid to a Road bike ? The riding position for starters than the seat itself is a lot higher than I'm used to.

Plus id imagine there not the quickest thing to jump on and off stopping in traffic etc least that's how it feels anyway.

Actually I was recommended this bike https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=159661

Advertisement