Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW iX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

KCross wrote: »
    The price is the price. No VRT relief or grant for this car.

The new rules are....
    Grant
    1 Jul 2021 reduced grant of €2500 for some PHEV's. Others get nothing if they dont meet range/emission requirements.
    €5000 for BEV's
    but only if RRP is <€60k

VRT relief
    VRT relief already gone for all hybrids and PHEVs
    BEV - Up to €5k but no relief for €50k+ cars

This car is greater than €50k and €60k, so no grant or VRT relief.

OK that's clearer, the price is the price so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭listermint

v10 wrote: »
    OK that's clearer, the price is the price so, thanks.

Would it matter. It's ambitiously ugly. Like a real yak looking thing. BMW really lost their essence of late. I don't see this Bentley psuedo rip off aging well either .

listermint wrote: »
    Would it matter. It's ambitiously ugly. Like a real yak looking thing. BMW really lost their essence of late. I don't see this Bentley psuedo rip off aging well either .

Maybe, I'll judge it when I see it in the flesh. I'd rather the look of an X5 tho.

In saying that, it's not Tesla ugly. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭listermint

v10 wrote: »
    Maybe, I'll judge it when I see it in the flesh. I'd rather the look of an X5 tho.

In saying that, it's not Tesla ugly. IMO.

It is though the low shoulder lines running down the length of the top of the doors the high ridge of the a pillar roof all the way back. It's actually looks like one of the Chinese collaborations from ten years ago where they would steal bits of other marques design and make a jam together.

listermint wrote: »
    It is though the low shoulder lines running down the length of the top of the doors the high ridge of the a pillar roof all the way back. It's actually looks like one of the Chinese collaborations from ten years ago where they would steal bits of other marques design and make a jam together.

I dunno, similar money to a base Tesla Model S .. I'd take this any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’d be interested in one of these for my next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As I always say, I was a bimmer fanboy since I had my first e60 in my mid 20s - and long before I was a Tesla fanboy.
    Id love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Given that I hate the weird kink lines, odd proportions, strange bulbous growths and hilarious large grills that have crept up on nearly every BMW in the current generation, I was fully expecting to click on something I hated. Strangely, I don't mind it. It's far, far better than the X7 I was parked next to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Good Lord that front end and grille is horrendous. Chrysler Ypsilon on steroids. I realise beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but generally BMW's are decent looking

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Looks ugly af in pics, maybe it’ll be ok in real life. The grille makes it look all narrow and tall. It’s very uninteresting, was hoping for something like an evolution of the i3 design for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've been a BMW fanboi for many decades. I've owned about a dozen of their cars. My last one was a straight 6 petrol E60. When it came to the time to replace it, there was nothing out there, just sh1t cancer diesels. Had a look at other makes then like Mercedes and Jaguar, was the same. So I bought a brand new electric Hyundai.

I'd like to get back into the fold, but there is nothing, not even in the pipeline, from BMW that even remotely interests me. Why can't they just do a fully electric 3 series or 5 series as a hatchback? Preferably without those idiotic grilles?

bmw-grille-comparison-years-larger-and-larger.jpg

BMW had a good start nearly a decade ago with electrification until that asshole Krüger blocked that division and caused it to pretty much dismantle. Now BMW are so far behind, they might never make it back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://youtu.be/oejorlv84Z4

Bjorn BMW iX interior review

hmm

Saw bjorns video.
    I love it.
    A real model X competitor. If this gets here before the cybertruck I may end up with this instead.
    125kWh battery and 600km range with 200kW charging and ionity support?

NOw if we could just stop getting outbid on houses and actually get moved any time soon I may order it! I see the dealers are taking €1k preorders already

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

Am I wrong or is 300 miles from a 125kw/h(!) battery pack a really poor energy efficiency figure?

600km is 400 miles not 300.

125kWh to do 600km is 209wh/km which is actually comparable to an MX

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

Ah right, it's the 111.5kW battery that gets 300 miles. Not brilliant compared to other EVs but ok I guess for SUVs of this size. Was hoping to see a hatchback or an estate coming out from BMW rather than another luxury SUV - the market is saturated with them.

smackyB wrote: »
    Was hoping to see a hatchback or an estate coming out from BMW rather than another luxury SUV - the market is saturated with them.

This. I don't give a rats that SUVs are fashionable. I want a hatchback. Super low centre of gravity and all the practicality you need for a family of 5 + dog. I carried a complete large PV installation in my hatchback yesterday, including 12 oversized solar panels. And I didn't even need to use the frunk or any of the seats.

Or indeed an estate but the missus dislikes their form factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

looks much better in that Bjorn video than the pics - they will sell a ton of them I'd think

drumm23 wrote: »
    looks much better in that Bjorn video than the pics

Agreed. It's bigger than I thought, proper Model X competitor.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Saw bjorns video.
    I love it.
    A real model X competitor. If this gets here before the cybertruck I may end up with this instead.
    125kWh battery and 600km range with 200kW charging and ionity support?

NOw if we could just stop getting outbid on houses and actually get moved any time soon I may order it! I see the dealers are taking €1k preorders already

I agree. Definitely my next car, unless something changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Jesus, thats hideous looking !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

kanuseeme wrote: »
    The grill reminds me of some type of rodent.

554785.JPG

It looks like a project/concept car grille that they forgot to update for the production version. I love it.

The configurator is live now.

I spoke to a dealer the other day, they should have one available for test drive in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Isn't the upcoming I4 gran coupe a hatchback? It's still got the big fake grille, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Leather seats is a €4,500 option, otherwise choose between "leatherette" and cloth

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I actually like the look of the iX, although it seems I’m in the minority on that. There’s a lot of technology in that ‘fake grille’ so it serves a purpose. Coating on the grille is self healing aswell.

Apart from the looks the reviews out this morning all seem very positive.

To be honest I'm ignoring most of the hate the new BMW grills are getting, I don't think they're nearly as bad as some people are making out. Some people are just writing the latest BMWs off because of their grill is silly, they'll still sell by the bucket load. I'll wait until I see the iX in the flesh before I make my judgement but from what I've seen on the latest 4 series it's not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I was in audi North Dublin a while back and tipped over to Joe duffy bmw for a look. Was a bmw fan for years and years but don't like most of their new cars. There was an ix or an ix3 or something there, not sure what it was but it was hideous looking. They are really abandoning their design roots and going after USA and China markets in my opinion. 3 and 5 series as yet untouched, they are the 2 cars I'd be interested in anyway. Fear for the next generation though.

And for what it's worth, I liked the e60 from the start so its not a case of getting used to new designs. They won't grow on me.

Advertisement