Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New used car, limit of €3500 - looking at Megane

• 01-06-2021 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The missus currently drives a 2005 BMW 320i which has been a great car but between insurance and tax it's costing €1500 before it moves anywhere. Add in that it's not exactly economical and she spends 95% of her time driving my 2015 Nissan Note.

She needs a new car but as we're looking to move home in the near future she doesn't want to spend much. There's a limit of around €3500 which isn't much to play with but it does give some options. She'd have long enough runs to warrant a diesel but petrol is fine too.

Having a look around and the Megane Mk III comes into budget. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this model had the issues it's predecessor had? Unless I'm wrong (I hope not) the something like the below would seem to fit the bill. Estate would be her least desireable body style but it's fine. The main criteria is it needs to have rear doors as we have a four year old:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-grand-megane-1-5dci-2010-new-nct/27266472 - Doesn't seem to have rear parking sensors?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-grand-megane-1-5dci-tom-tom/28287275 - Seems to be a better option perhaps?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-1-5-dci-2010-new-nct-tax-08-21/28305210 - Says it has sensors but I can't see them? Also find it odd that it has Bluetooth but no steering wheel buttons?

Anything I should look out for with the above? I'm not set on a Renault by any means but the above and to a lesser extent the Fluence seem to come in on budget, though most of the Fluence seem to have huge mileage on them.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The steering wheel controls on a lot of renaults are actually on a stalk down to the right, as they have been since the late 80s.

First one is an Expression 86bhp. Worth getting one with higher bhp
    It looks to be in the dealer since January, which is unusual for a cheap car.
    1 owner car though , which is a big plus at this price.

Second one is a Tom Tom which is a good spec to get but again it only has the 86bhp engine.
    3 owners, which isn’t outrageous.
    Last change of ownership in October 2020 which might potentially be a red flag. Private sale so no comeback.

Last one is an Expression 106bhp, I think the higher bhp has a 6 speed box too vs 5 speed on the 86?
    This ones a UK import, 3 owners in Ireland already plus whatever in the UK. only in that garage a few days by the looks of it. Timing belt being done is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The steering wheel controls on a lot of renaults are actually on a stalk down to the right, as they have been since the late 80s.

And it's so much easier to use than steering wheel mounted systems.

As regards the Megane, service history is key with these. It's a great engine but doesn't do well if neglected. The cars are very solid so should wear well.

Things to watch for:
    Keycards fall apart but a case can be bought seperately to fix them, make sure they all work as a replacement can be expensive
    As Colm points out, a little more power makes them nice to drive, 6 speed box is good for motorway MPG but 5 speed is better on A and B road for MPG,
    I rate them highly, very cheap to run and service. Never had an issue with ours.
    Earlier Meganes don't have a DPF which is a consideration, I know out 2010 didn't have one.

I had a 2010 Megane Coupe and I can genuinely say it never gave me an ounce of trouble it was a decent spec as well and was unbelievable on fuel. The only gripe I had was that the front on the buttons would fade easily but was a cracking little car

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-grand-megane-1-5-dci-tom-tom-tax-nct/28204589

Folks, could I get your opinion on this? Rather than hassling you all, is there someway I can check the power output myself?

I see they are a Naas Road dealer so doesn't that ring alarm bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

We have had a number of Meganes, the diesel engine is excellent, very economical and trouble-free. 300k is no problem to them

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Also, for the sake of a few euro, do a history check before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-grand-megane-1-5-dci-tom-tom-tax-nct/28204589

Folks, could I get your opinion on this? Rather than hassling you all, is there someway I can check the power output myself?

I see they are a Naas Road dealer so doesn't that ring alarm bells?

Interesting that they say it is worth €4k but are selling at €3500 without a warranty.

I would offer them €4k and ask for a warranty and see how they react. Will give you an idea of how much faith they have in the car.

Why would you even buy off a garage that’s selling without warranty?

Now to their credit, that garage has been open 4 years, but the fact that they won’t stand over the car as per your consumer rights speaks volumes.

Why would you even buy off a garage that’s selling without warranty?

Now to their credit, that garage has been open 4 years, but the fact that they won’t stand over the car as per your consumer rights speaks volumes.

I didn't actually see the 'no warranty' statement. Scrub that so. Thanks for the eagle eyes.

The missus experience a flat yesterday so we'd need to replace two tyres on her E90 which really means now that it's undriveable so there's a bit of pressure to find something to replace it.

Annoyed with myself for missing that.

• Advertisement

A few other possibilities, I'm not solely into getting a Megane:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-note-2010/28068859 - Seems quite decent

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-1-5-dci-new-nct-07-22/28391360 - Suspiciously low mileage and the steering wheel seems to have a fair bit of wear

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-grand-scenic-2011/27197613 - Absolutely more car than she needs but it seems appealing

I only know them from new and they seemed to be intrinsically reliable, comfortable and economical.
    I don't know how they stand up to neglect and poor roads but back street mechanics should know them inside out making servicing inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I like that Bazz, I didn't see it as it was outside of the budget set. I know that model was alright and fairly overlooked by the public.

I think I'll give them a shout.

At that price range consider a Leon/Jetta/Corolla/Jazz/Fit and at the age and miles your looking for something with good regular service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I like that Bazz, I didn't see it as it was outside of the budget set. I know that model was alright and fairly overlooked by the public.

I think I'll give them a shout.

It's above budget alright but I'd say you could haggle a few quid off that price and it's still 2 years younger than the Megane you were looking at earlier. The interior looks very clean but just make sure everything works as it should do.

Just after running a cartell report and I have one or two things I'd like to run past you guys (hopefully going to see it today).

NCT pass dates:

18-03-2020 23 months
    18-04-2018 21 months
    16-07-2016 52 months - flagged

Tax dates:

30-04-2021 28-02-2021 3 Months
    31-01-2021 09-02-2020 12 Months
    31-01-2020 01-09-2019 6 Months
    31-07-2019 02-09-2018 12 Months
    31-07-2018 04-03-2018 6 Months
    31-01-2018 05-03-2017 23 Months - flagged
    29-02-2016 23-03-2015 12 Months
    28-02-2015 31-03-2014 12 Months
    28-02-2014 02-04-2013 12 Months
    28-02-2013 12-03-2012 12 Months

First owner had it for almost 4 years from 2012 to 2016
    It then went to trade where seemingly it was held for 11 months
    They sold it in 2017 where the 2nd owner had it for over 4 years
    It then went to the current trade owner who has held it for 2 months

That would seem right as it may have been a hard car to shift on. Not uncommon for a trader to have it for 18 months unable to move it. Have you checked nct dates and any history they may have for servicing?

Zylias wrote: »
    That would seem right as it may have been a hard car to shift on. Not uncommon for a trader to have it for 18 months unable to move it. Have you checked nct dates and any history they may have for servicing?

NCT dates are as per above, it looks to have been serviced on time in the last few years. I haven't checked service history yet- I will do when I get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Megane III is a very good car. Have nearly 550k kms on mine, no problems apart from normal high mileage wear and tear and not much of that. Solid flywheel on the 86 bhp version (not sure about the higher powered model), no particulate filter before 2011. Result is much less potential for "diesel grief" on these cars than on many others.

You could buy one for around 15-16k new during the Renault scrappage scheme around 10 years ago, these prices will never be repeated and were exceptional value at the time.

If you are in the market for a car in this class it would be foolish to pay more for an Auris, Civic or Golf because of the perception of better reliability, if anything the Megane might be most reliable of this lot as well as being cheaper. Win win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

Just after running a cartell report and I have one or two things I'd like to run past you guys (hopefully going to see it today).

Nothing to see there. As long as mileage finance and accident damage checks out its pretty much good to go

User1998 wrote: »
    Nothing to see there. As long as mileage finance and accident damage checks out its pretty much good to go

You’d want to be physically checking for previous adventures too, such is our lack of record keeping on insurance claims.

Well I passed on the car. There was absolutely no service history at all with it. Nothing, not even a receipt of any kind. The dealer wasn't there as he was off delivering a car to someone so I was dealing with his right hand man. On the phone he opened up that the car was due a timing belt change soon so he was flexible on the price. He was willing to come down about €500 on the price.
    However the lack of any service history and some little niggly points about the car put me off. There was a fair bit of wear to the gear knob/steering wheel. There was a knob missing from the radio, the cubby hole in front of the gear stick wouldn't stay closed. It just made me wonder how well it had been looked after- something I couldn't tell, given the lack of paperwork.

30000km service interval and getting a discount for timing belt renewal are positives.
    My experience of the cars was that they didn't burn much oil and was always annoyed at how much the dealer charged for a service when doing so little not that I paid the bills for the cars.

UK import. read registration certificate and get uk registration number then go to uk mot website to check milage matches your expectation.

They’re a ball of a yoke. Stick with the Meganes.

They’re a ball of a yoke. Stick with the Meganes.
    Petrol Focus good, diesel Focus not so great.

• Advertisement

On one hand it’s great. 1.4 TSI engine so nice and torquey, DSG gearbox so lovely quick gear changes and no big drop on fuel economy. Only €400 tax too.

On the other hand, the 1.4 TSI isn’t a paragon of reliability, that said the 122ps version like that is one of the better ones. Same craic with the DSG, if it calves you’ll be crying.

If it was €2k and older or something I’d chance it, I don’t think I’d risk €4K on one though.
    Now it might be fine and it might cause no issues and be a great car.

Advertisement