Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any option for me?

Options
  • 31-05-2021 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice. Would like the thought of going electric but not sure its an option or possible, perhaps someone could advise

Currently have a 2014 Kia Optima, spending €70 a week on diesel. commute to work is approx 75km one way so a 150km round trip Mon - Fri

Next year i'll do this trip twice and the other 3 days will be approx 100km round trip

Is there any electric option that could work for me?

Finance wise could be where i'm caught possibly. My car has high mileage, i'd probably get €8,000 - €9,000 in a trade in. I'd be able to get a loan to bring me up to around the €20,000 mark. I'm realising that might not be enough to play around with but said i'd explore if any options exist

Paying the bones of €300 a month on diesel is something i'd love to try reduce.

Couple of other points:
    - I'd be able to install a home charger. But i would not have any access to charging while at any of the workplaces i'll be
    - I'd have no issue with keeping a car for a good number of years so wouldn't be looking to change once i'd found something i enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was grappling with this question. Longer commute but fewer days. Usually buy second hand cars. I did my sums and ended up ordering a new ID3 Tour on 0% pcp. The fuel savings for this kind of mileage cancel out the depreciation.

You might manage fine on the regular ID3 (58 kWh battery). Without needing to charge at work. Look into it.

Other options include the Hyundai Kona, Kia e-Niro and Kia Soul. The Kia are good cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

fits wrote: »
    I was grappling with this question. Longer commute but fewer days. Usually buy second hand cars. I did my sums and ended up ordering a new ID3 Tour on 0% pcp. The fuel savings for this kind of mileage cancel out the depreciation.

You might manage fine on the regular ID3 (58 kWh battery). Without needing to charge at work. Look into it.

Other options include the Hyundai Kona, Kia e-Niro and Kia Soul. The Kia are good cars too.
    Ya its a case of trying to work out by reducing fuel have i extra available to finance what would be a long term purchase.
    I'm just the kind that doesn't like having any type of loan hanging over me so don't want to borrow anything major

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A 150km commute puts you within the range of a 28kWh Ioniq, it would handle that reasonably well, though you may want to slow down on extremely wintery days. Current pricing for 2017 models is around €16,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

big_drive wrote: »
    Ya its a case of trying to work out by reducing fuel have i extra available to finance what would be a long term purchase.
    I'm just the kind that doesn't like having any type of loan hanging over me so don't want to borrow anything major

I would be the same. Hate having loans. I thought about it a long time before making the leap. As above you might be able to get one second hand that would do the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For 20k you're looking at an Ioniq28 or leaf 40. The Ioniq would have better range most of the time and charges faster on the correct standard (CCS) than the leaf will on the deprecated chademo.

If you could look at spending 26-27k you'd get a 19 Kona EV with double the range of the Ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looking for a bit of advice. Would like the thought of going electric but not sure its an option or possible, perhaps someone could advise

Currently have a 2014 Kia Optima, spending €70 a week on diesel. commute to work is approx 75km one way so a 150km round trip Mon - Fri

Next year i'll do this trip twice and the other 3 days will be approx 100km round trip

So, the car is doing about 6l/100km?
    And what's your annual km looking like... 40k km?

For those stats...
    Diesel: ~€3200
    BEV: €560 (20kWh/100km, 7c/kWh)

Fuel saving ~€2600 per year.

Finance wise could be where i'm caught possibly. My car has high mileage, i'd probably get €8,000 - €9,000 in a trade in. I'd be able to get a loan to bring me up to around the €20,000 mark. I'm realising that might not be enough to play around with but said i'd explore if any options exist

Paying the bones of €300 a month on diesel is something i'd love to try reduce.

Factor in the yearly fuel savings. You might not like a loan but if its saving you money from day 1 it might be worth it rather than feeding the oil companies the money instead! ;)

KCross wrote: »
    So, the car is doing about 6l/100km?
    And what's your annual km looking like... 40k km?

For those stats...
    Diesel: ~€3200

Fuel saving ~€2600 per year.

Factor in the yearly fuel savings. You might not like a loan but if its saving you money from day 1 it might be worth it rather than feeding the oil companies the money instead! ;)

Ya i'd be around annual 40k , depends on the weekend driving involved but it would be there abouts

Ya i'll have to do some proper calculations around money, if the money saved on diesel went to paying for a car i was happy with and could keep for a few years it might be a sensible move to make on it. After paying off loan i'd probably be happy with the decision its just the initial taking on of a debt that needs to be paid off that puts me off

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sound advice all around

Energia now have a special EV deal, I switched to it myself as soon as they launched it. They charge just 4.78c per kWh, incl. VAT at night.

And not only is this incredibly cheap - less than one cent per km - so good for your wallet, but also good for the planet as in Ireland more than 50% of night rate electricity is produced from wind (renewable and zero emissions)

unkel wrote: »
    Energia now have a special EV deal, I switched to it myself as soon as they launched it. They charge just 4.78c per kWh, incl. VAT at night.

The increased 18c day rate is the kicker there though! ;)

You pay 4c/kWh more by day to save 2c/kWh by night.

You need to run the numbers to see if thats actually worth it for you. I know you have, but your usage is not at all "normal" so others could actually end up worse off on that plan but definitely worth looking at for sure.

It's 16 point something cent day. I have run the numbers and if you use 55% or more at night, you are in the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ACAandCTA

On the financing side of things, the current 0% PCP seems like a real benefit. (My ID3 is due in July)

Like you,I'd plan to keep my car longer term, so I would likely buy it at the end of the 3 years - I'm not restricted by mileage as the price to buy the car outright at end of 3 years is the GFV, irrespective - so I've been told.

I could just about stretch to pay for the car in full, but instead I think I'll pay the min deposit put aside e5.5k each year and then have the funds to pay the GFV, without any interest bearing loan and one off outlay up front, at end of yr 3.

In your case,you would pay the monthly pcp charge and if you could save the 70e pw on diesel and a bit more on top,you could use that to pay down the GFV in year 3?

*Just using ID3 as example as it is what I've looked into! Seem to be a few brands offering 0% PCP

It's 16 point something cent day.

It looks like you are quoting ex-Vat prices.

The plan their website takes you to when you select their EV plan shows 18.18/5.23 for day/night which is 16.02/4.61 ex vat.

Its called the "EV Elect offer". Are you referring to some other plan or maybe they upped the prices since you signed on, most providers have increased their rates recently.
    I have run the numbers and if you use 55% or more at night, you are in the win.

As long as people are aware of whats required then its fine but some people might struggle to hit 60+% at night to make it worthwhile, all the while thinking they are doing great with their EV charging plan... that was the point I was making. They need to see what their day/night split is first before they switch to that plan.

ACAandCTA wrote: »
    On the financing side of things, the current 0% PCP seems like a real benefit. (My ID3 is due in July)

Like you,I'd plan to keep my car longer term, so I would likely buy it at the end of the 3 years - I'm not restricted by mileage as the price to buy the car outright at end of 3 years is the GFV, irrespective - so I've been told.

I could just about stretch to pay for the car in full, but instead I think I'll pay the min deposit put aside e5.5k each year and then have the funds to pay the GFV, without any interest bearing loan and one off outlay up front, at end of yr 3.

In your case,you would pay the monthly pcp charge and if you could save the 70e pw on diesel and a bit more on top,you could use that to pay down the GFV in year 3?

*Just using ID3 as example as it is what I've looked into! Seem to be a few brands offering 0% PCP

Great thanks for that. It's definitely something I'll take a look into. You explained it very clear there and it sounds like something that could work for me. Need to get the figures on paper and see how it t looks

It looks like you are quoting ex-Vat prices.

The plan their website takes you to when you select their EV plan shows 18.18/5.23 for day/night which is 16.02/4.61 ex vat.

Its called the "EV Elect offer". Are you referring to some other plan or maybe they upped the prices since you signed on

It's really not hard to guess which of those two it is, is it now? :p:p:p

I pay 4.78c / kWh incl VAT night rate and 16.64c / kWh incl VAT day rate

Just installed another 4.5kW of PV today after I built my 10kWh usable battery at the weekend and hooked it up. That should ease the pain of the bills somewhat too :D

It's really not hard to guess which of those two it is, is it now? :p:p:p

I pay 4.78c / kWh incl VAT night rate and 16.64c / kWh incl VAT day rate

Where is it on their website?
    Or are you saying the price has gone up but you still have the original price?

Where is it on their website?
    Or are you saying the price has gone up but you still have the original price?

I signed up 3 months ago (as soon as I heard about their new EV plan) and I got the following fixed rates for the duration of my contract, which is 1 year:

554704.jpg

The first row is day rate, the third row is night rate, the other rows are for if you go over 2k or 3k units per billing period

I signed up 3 months ago (as soon as I heard about their new EV plan) and I got the following fixed rates for the duration of my contract, which is 1 year:

You’re lucky it’s a fixed price plan!

The new day rate is not so good at 18c though. Having Solar to reduce that and an EV to use night rate can make it work alright though.

A mate has a similar setup to mine. He uses just 2 or 3 units of day time electricity. Per week :D

Advertisement