Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car depreciation

Options
  • 01-06-2021 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi do you think a 2016 BMW I8 or a Tesla would depreciate in value over the next 4 years ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

crystal ball

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Like the lad in the call centre said to the irate lady on the phone " I have 2 balls Madam and neither of them are crystal"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Hi how can I found out how much a car will be worth in
    3- 4 years time ? Interested in finding out how much depreciation a 2016 BMW I8 and a Tesla would have gone down by .

I doubt an i8 will depreciate much...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

Murph85 wrote: »
    I doubt an i8 will depreciate

You can get them on fiancee for around 1k a month at moment why would you say that ? Just like any other car would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All cars depreciate.

All it'd take is a next generation battery breakthrough and all the current ev's will then depreciate like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What Tesla?

S
    X
    Y

Impossible to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Obviously they will depreciate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Hi do you think a 2016 BMW I8 or a Tesla would depreciate in value over the next 4 years ?

The Tesla's are already depreciating. Check the electric car forum and a few have picked up bargains. Once the likes of BMW/Merc/Audi bring out the full range of electrics they will drop like a stone.

Fact is every car depreciates.

Toyota are putting ads up everywhere saying they are releasing a solid state battery. VW said in 2020 it would be 5 years. Once that hits the market all electrics will take a hit.

Car manufacturers cant see new cars if old ones are still the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

All cars depreciate.

All it'd take is a next generation battery breakthrough and all the current ev's will then depreciate like crazy.

Many are appreciating ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Murph85 wrote: »
    Many are appreciating ...

And will continue to do so over 3-4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

So there's a chance of getting a BMW i8 so haha will buy a nice tesla model 3 for good value in 3 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

The i8 is a hybrid with a tiny battery.

Tesla's have been holding value very well lately, mainly due to a lack of used models for sale due to low supply a few years ago. However there is more alternatives now such as ID3/4 and more coming soon. The model Y will arrive at some stage hurting older Tesla prices.

The amount of depreciation is mostly based on supply and demand but also warranty may be going on older model s cars making new buyers worried. With a high starting price in the 50,000 euro range, the annual drop may still be quite expensive in the 5,000 to 10,000 range from new.

The BMW vs Tesla are very different cars, totally different driving experience, I would test drive both to see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 David Geary

Hi As a rule of thumb you can assume 10 to 15% depreciation per anim. But it is not an exact science. Some cars will depreciate less.

David.

Advertisement