Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Thanks V. It's just great to be able to enjoy a run without worrying about the foot. The injury sucked all the enjoyment out of running - I'd spend all day looking forward to a run, only to end up frustrated with myself and the injury by the end of the run. Hard going after a while. Hopefully things remain on track from here.

Glad to see you on the road back too, nice patience on show there too.

Yeah there's no fun in pain.
    To be honest, I only look patient from here.. the reality is definitely different :pac: I have many people's heads wrecked I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great stuff A, you've shown remarkable patience.

I had been meaning to ask you for a long time but kept forgetting, How did your swimming lessons go pre lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great stuff A, you've shown remarkable patience.

I had been meaning to ask you for a long time but kept forgetting, How did your swimming lessons go pre lockdowns.

Ah, swimming. I was really enjoying it actually - seemed like I'd found the perfect supplementary activity to do once a week. I'd completed an initial block of 8 lessons and had just started into another block of 8 weeks when lockdowns began. I had done some lessons when I was younger, so I wasn't a complete novice and progressed quickly with the bit of guidance this time around. Hopefully they will re-commence at some stage.

R.I.P. Boards? I may as well update the log in the hope that this new version improves and survives. It really is shite. Such a pity. Any improvements are coming at a snails pace too.

June and July were decent months, particularly June. Racked up 126 miles in June, which included a week what turned out to be warm-weather hill-training in Dunmore East. I was minding a tight hamstring for June, so kept everything easy, and the week in Dunmore East seemed to aggravate it further. Finally made it to the physio who advised dialling back the long run a touch while I worked on getting the hamstring in better shape. The hamstring also ended up causing a foot pain in the opposite leg as I over-compensated - happily this has now improved, as has the hamstring - I had all manner of 'career'-ending doomsday scenarios in my head prior to the physio visit!

Anyway, managed a still-solid 116 miles in July, and I've gradually worked back up towards 30 miles per week. I had hoped to be well into a base plan of some sort by now, but nevermind - there's no rush. I've a decent foundation there over the last few months and I'll try and progress things a bit further over the coming weeks, testing the hamstring and hopefully starting a base plan if I'm happy with it.

There's a few races popping up now relatively locally, which are somewhat tempting but I'll hold off for a while yet. Target wise, I'd like to train for a half marathon, but I'm happy enough to do lots of base stuff for the next few months and then look to a target race next Spring. I'll hopefully do a race or two before this year is out, but it wouldn't be a major target at all. Gradually building mileage and getting back to some sessions is the main target for the rest of this year.

To add some accountability for myself I've started manually adding my stretching/S&C stuff on Garmin Connect. Anytime I slack off on that stuff I notice a niggle or three popping up, so by logging it on GC I've found I am more likely to do it, and importantly, when I do it I'm dedicating myself to it, whether it's for 10 mins or 25. I would have been terrible for sitting on the mat for an hour in front of the TV and doing the grand total of 2 planks while sipping a cup of tea. At least now I do a strong 10 mins, or whatever. I find it doesn't take much maintenance to keep the niggles at bay.

When I left things 5 months ago I felt like I was in a decent position to build on what had been a relatively solid few months. Unfortunately I was soon hit by a couple more injuries, each of which stopped me in my tracks for 3 or so weeks and necessitated a gradual return to running afterward. The first injury was an oblique/side strain on my right side in August - no idea where it came from but it was agony to run with and took months to fully subside. By the start of November I was back around the 30 miles per week mark and had started throwing in the odd mile at "tempo" and a few strides here and there. Then I managed to damage my left quad somehow, maybe one of my faster miles was on a downhill bit and that triggered it. I couldn't walk without a severe limp for 3 weeks. That seems to be ok now, and I've been gradually increasing things again over the past month or so.

The physio reckons my hip flexors have a lot to answer for - they don't like me sitting down all day. I would have circulated more when in the office but with WFH I could sit for hours on end without realising. So I'm trying to be more aware of the need to walk around more and get out for walks at lunch if I'm not running. She's given me a few stretches for it too.

Finished 2021 with 790 miles, which was actually a slight increase on 2020 (711 miles). I feel like I was responsible and built things very gradually on each of my comebacks and that I've just been unlucky. Does one injury lead to another? Maybe I'm just injury prone? I was inactive for 20 years before I started running so the body is bound to wonder WTF is going on I guess. Anyway, I'm taking this latest comeback very gradually again. 25 miles last week and I'll aim for the same again this week.

For 2022 I'd just like to run consistently - I've been whacked with injuries for two years now so feel like I'm due a break. I feel like I'm ok right now niggle-wise, so for the rest of January I'd like to work towards 30 miles per week and then just try and maintain that for a few months. All going well I'd love to target a Half Marathon later in the year, Clonmel or Charleville maybe, but I've made and then torn-up so many tentative plans over the past year that I won't get too set on anything just yet. I do have an entry for the Mallow 10 mile at the end of March, so hopefully I can string together a solid period before then. I just want to look at that 12 week progress graph on strava and not seen any huge prolonged dips.

Probably a bit of a moany post, so apologies. I'm actually feeling really positive about my running for 2022. Great to see lots of activity in the forum over the past month or two as well - I've a lot of catching up to do. I'll try and keep the log updates monthly for now - hopefully the next couple are short and boring.

• Advertisement

A short and (mainly) sweet January update as I hoped for. Ended up just about surpassing the 100 mile mark - slightly down on what I'd hoped for, but 100 mile months have been few and far between of late so it's solid progress and I'll happily take it. In the middle of the month, a very tender left hamstring required a few days rest and seems ok again now. Right now, my level of general niggles is at a long-time-low.

All runs have been at a fairly easy pace, and have felt comfortable - HR readings look even enough, even for the longer runs - I'm just very concious of putting too much too soon on the legs and body. My best week in January was 28 miles, with a long run of 9. So for February I'll aim for 4 x 30 mile weeks and hopefully start adding in a liitle bit of stuff here and there. Itching to get back to a parkrun as well, but may leave that until March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice one , you are well overdue a break from injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see the progression A, you have been very disciplined & patient with your injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see you have a good month A, I hope the streak continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As a fellow 'always searching for the smallest bit of light at the end of a very long tunnel' runner I'm delighted to see you get some consistent training in. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Cheers folks. Had plenty of false dawns last year so I'll tread carefully.

A frustrating February saw a continuation of my struggle to achieve some consistency. This time it was due to a bout of covid tearing through the house at the start of the month. I was physically and mentally spent for a couple of days, and some of the other symptoms (coughing, general aches) lingered a bit longer. I tried a couple of runs after 6 or so days - the runs themselves were fine but being honest afterwards I was still not fully recovered, so gave it another 6 days and eased back into it then. Feel much better now and even managed to log a 30 mile week last week so I'm back on track.

My swimming lessons returned last week after a 2 year hiatus - it was great to get back in the pool again, although there was definitely some rust there! Speaking of swimmimg - we'd a family trip to Center Parcs in Longford last weekend and the swimming pool there is amazing. Great craic for kids of all ages 😊. I managed a couple of runs while there too - found them pretty boring to be honest - kinda like running on a treadmill with the same scenery around every corner.

I'm still planning on running the Mallow 10 miler on March 20th. Hopefully things will go smoothly until then.

A Race Report!!

Firstly a quick catch up on the few weeks at the start of March. I'd identified 80 minutes as a logical target for Mallow - the thing is it's hard to envisage running 10 x 8 minute miles when pretty much everything I'd managed to do in training for the past 2 years was at 9:30 pace and above. So, I said I'd try fit in a couple (literally) of 8 min miles into a long run in early March - failed to hit the pace with these. The following week I put an 8 min mile into a 7 mile midweek run, and this went fine, although the pace mile was wind-assisted tbf. Followed this up with an Endurance run that weeked and this really gave me a bit of confidence as I felt great and spent most of the time reigning in (and readjusting on the fly) the paces as I progressed from 10 min miles to 9 min miles. All-in-all a couple of good weeks to kick off March, followed by an easy week with reduced mileage in preparation for Mallow.

Still loads of unknowns heading into the race. How would I react when the going got tough in the later miles? 80 mins seemed like a reasonable target, but I'd no idea really with no recent parkrun even to give an indication. Running 10 x 8 min miles seemed daunting if I thought about it - so I just didn't think about it and accepted that was the goal. I'd taken a quick look at the course, and it seemed the worst of any climbing would be in the first 2 miles and it was reasonably flat after that. The plan was to take those handy, then settle into the 8 min pace and hopefully finish strong. On the Saturday night there was mention on Facebook that wind might be a factor, and it would be into our faces for the closing 4 miles. This didn't really change my strategy tbh - I'd either reach 6 miles in ok shape and deal with the wind when I got there, or else I'd have blown up by 6 miles and the wind would be another problem to deal with.

Got to Mallow in good time and did a gentle warmup before heading over to the start line. I'd travelled down with the OH who was also running, and a friend who has been dipping his toe in running over the past year or so. We made our way across to the start area in the grounds of Mallow castle. I'd never raced Mallow before, but this was a new start area and it was brilliant. A bank offered an ideal area for supporters to position themselves and the area was very family freindly compared to the roadside start that you would normally have. An occassional breeze suggested there might be trouble later, but really it was almost ideal running conditions. Nice and mild.

Anyway, I positioned myself between the 80 and 85 min pacers, and before long we were off. A small bit of congestion in the early stages as we exited the castle grounds but nothing major at all. Looked at my watch after we'd settled into position on the road - it said 8:45 or similar - I was a bit worried initially but then I realised I was feeling fine and easing myself into the race. It probably took me half a mile to wake up and realise I was in a race, and that meant racing, not just cruising along. But it just felt great to be out there again in the thick of it. There was a bit of an uphill in the early going, but it wasn't too bad - I just concentrated on not killing myself on the hill and settling into my running when it levelled out. Mile 1 clocked at 8:21. Felt pretty good.

Mile 2 followed a similar pattern - mainly uphill but nothing mad. Picked the pace up a little and Mile 2 was 8:08. One thing I love about the 10 mile distance is that the maths are so easy - especially when the target time is a nice round number too. Picked up the pace a bit as we hit the bypass and a nice downhill section. I was pleasantly surprised when mile 3 came in at 7:46. I was pushing on a bit now but didn't feel like I was putting myself into the red or in danger of a blow up. Hopefully anyway. We passed the first water stop around here and then I had a decsion to make - I'd passed a good few people and but now emerged into some clear road with a group maybe 100 yards ahead - I figured it made sense to expend the effort now to bridge across and I'd have that group as company and a windshield later if the wind was a factor. I took advantage of the nice bit of remaining downhill to eat into the gap, maybe halving it, and then settled into the task of catching the group over the next mile. Mile 4 was a 7:31.

As I neared the group ahead I realised it was the 80 min pace group - ideal. I caught up to them by the middle of the 5th mile and then settled into the 8 min pace for a while. I don't think I've looked at my watch less during a race - I'm normally one for constantly looking at the thing, but for some reason I was not as concerned with it here. Obviously this section with the pacers helped with the lack of watch-watching. Mile 5 was a 7:48.

A runner in the pace group wearing a black t-shirt seemed intent on staying ahead of me, and he had another runner in sunglasses seemingly shadowing his every move. Anytime someone moved up or back through the group positions would readjust but black t-shirt would always position himself ahead of me, with sunglasses on his shoulder. I was happy enough to sit in. Mile 6 and 7 ticked by in 8:03 and 7:59 respectively as the pacers did their job. I was working hard enough but feeling pretty strong at this stage. There was the odd hint of the forecasted breeze, but nothing major at all.

At the 7 mile water stop came the second key moment of my race - with all the commotion passing through the water stop I found myself ahead of the pacers and made the decision to stay ahead and drive on a bit. I'd have probably sat in with the pacers for another mile had I not found myself ahead of them. Upped the effort anyway and about halfway through this mile black t-shirt and his shadow pushed ahead of me. I left them off and just maintained my effort. They never really got more than 10 yards clear. Mile 8 came in at 7:42. Not much looking at the watch in this time either - just concentrating on maintaining a strong effort.

I kept the momentum going and kept the pair ahead in my sights throughout the 9th mile. Working very hard now but still picking up the pace and feeling strong as I passed plenty of runners throughout this mile. One of my favourite things in racing is feeling strong and passing people in the closing miles of a race. 9th mile was a 7.29. As we passed the 9 mile marker I moved onto the shoulders of sunglasses and black t-shirt and then just motored past them and never saw them again. I felt like I was running on empty but just kept digging in. Can't be long left now I thought - a sneaky look at the watch - 9.45 miles - ah FFS. Come on, drive on. I just kept going hoping the finishing line would reveal itself before too long. Eventually it did of course, and the final mile was a 7:08 for a chip time of 1:18:00.

Aside from the blow-by-blow of the race, it was just great to be at a race again. I enjoyed every second of the experience. Of course, a pleasing result always helps and I was very happy with my time. It is a full 5 mins outside my PB, but I'm nowhere near that right now. I'll get back there, and surpass it, but for now I'm so happy with this result. Glad also to know that the fight was still there in the closing stages of the race. The OH and my friend also exceeded expectations so it was a happy car on the way home. The body is a bit creaky today, but I'm still buzzing. Onwards.

Post edited by Mr. Guappa on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well Done A. A very good description of a really well executed race. Some finish and great to see you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Delighted to read this! Great report & race, must have felt good finishing so strong. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lovely to read this A, what a great run. So happy to see you back on the upward after a run of bad luck. There was no doubt you'd fight to the end of that race, you've never given up running with all the setbacks so that says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great running and a full 2mins inside the target. Great report too.

Cheers D. Happy out with how it went. Wouldn't say I feel like I'm properly "back" - maybe when I'm running times similar to where I was pre injuries then I will feel different. At the moment I still feel that I'm on the way back. On the other hand, and in complete contradiction to what I just said, when I was out there in the race it felt like I was never away.

Thanks E - great to have the excuse to write a race report again! Apologies for rambling on! The last mile or so didn't feel so good at the time as I lived through it but yeah definitely pleasing to finish the race well.

Thanks E, very nice words. I don't really (or at least try not to) dwell on the injuries or setbacks but yeah I suppose it's nice to get to a start line, run a strong race and hopefully draw a line under the bad luck and start progressing again.

Thanks a mill. I meant to put in a preamble about how I arrived at the 80 minute target, but figured the report was long enough so left it out. However, you are after opening the door now, so I may as well add a bit extra. For my own records if nothing else.

I'd ran Dungarvan 3 times:

2018 - 1:23:xx - off the back of sporadic, unstructured "training" when I didn't have much of a clue what I was doing.

2019 - 1:18:xx - following on from my first DCM under the guidance of ariana and co in the novices thread, and then OONegative in the grads thread.

2020 - 1:12:59 - was in the best shape of my running career at this time, following my second DCM and a strong P&L block after that.

So anyway I figured I lay somewhere between 2018 and 2019 shape and came up with 1:20 as the nice round target. Delighted then to push past the 2019 time in the end, and it gives me an indication that I might be in with a shout at cracking one or two of my softer PB's later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Super run and report A. Quite an effort for your first race in two years. Always nice to get the better of those who seem to be targeting you for some unknown reason.

• Advertisement

Cheers J. It's most likely that the two lads were oblivious to my presence and any competition between us was imagined on my part, but that doesn't really matter - they distracted me for a few miles and offered me a target to work towards and eventually ease past. Hopefully the back of my head was a similar (if maybe less annoying) target for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great report, and great run ! Goes to show how the very basic 'run loads of miles' approach can work pretty well. Great place to start working from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Great racing. It's been good to see you back running and racing on Strava.

Thanks V. In spite of all the stops and starts I'm actually closing in on 1,000 miles over the past 12 calendar months, 99% of which were easy pace. While that's not near what I'd like to be doing mileage wise, it's not an insignificant total either, and at least gives me a reasonable foundation to build from. Not that I'll be doing anything too extravagant anytime soon.

Thanks M. Aside from a little covid enforced layoff and one minor niggle it's been a solid start to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done A, great racing and report. Super splits, lovely controlled running.

Loved the bit with the 2 lads and leaving them in your slipstream, what racing is all about!!

5 months to the day since the last post here back in March after the Mallow 10 miler. It seems that everytime I post with a positive update a setback comes hurtling around the corner, so hopefully I'm not tempting faith with this update. An adductor injury after Mallow meant pretty much no running for the guts of 7 weeks and it was well into May before I was able to gradually pick things up again. Thankfully things have gone nicely since then and I've now put three decent months together.

At the moment my main goal is DCM 2023, so I'm kinda following a rough plan to get me there. Basically, it's lots of base and half marathon stuff for the majority of the next 10 or so months until I'm officially (hopefully) marathon training. Currently I'm broadly following a FRR Base Plan, although I've capped the mileage at low 30's and subbed out some endurance runs for vanilla paces if I think it's merited. My long run has been 11 miles the last few weeks - my first runs north of 10 miles in 30 months. Hopefully I'll nudge the weekly mileage toward high 30's later on this year, and into the 40's regularly in the early part of next year. I'm just trying to string some consistency together and put solid week on top of solid week - nothing too fancy. Starting this week it seems that I'll be adding a weekly 5-a-side game to my schedule, so I'll give that a go for a few weeks and see how it meshes with the running.

I've ran a few races over the past 2 months, from 5k to 5M, and I'd like to continue to drop in races reasonably regularly over the coming year. The two most recent races have been reminders, for me at least, that racing is a learned skill which I'd forgotten somewhat and need to practice. Just learning what race effort should feel like, and also staying focussed throughout - in both races I'd a period where I just lost focus, tuned out and allowed the pace dropped. My times at these distances are way off my PB's but we'll get there.

Speaking of races I've a couple of Half Marathons over the next month or so. Clonmel this weekend, then Charleville four weeks later. Charleville marks the end of the current base plan, so I guess it's somewhat of a target. I'm not really enthused for Clonmel - it's a new route for this year and looks to be a bit of a shocker. My HM PB is pretty soft (1:43:xx) - I'll give it a lash in Clonmel but maybe Charleville will be the better chance - hard to know exactly where I'm at over this sort of distance so Clonmel will give a solid indication.

It's exciting to see so many long runs popping up on strava over the past month or so. Best of luck to everyone with their marathon training. When the late batch of entries for DCM became available early in the summer I gave it about 20 seconds of consideration before thinking better of it. This time next year Rodney....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great you have some consistency going again and best of luck in Clonmel and Charleville and hope your injury woes are behind you now. I’m registered but not sure whether I’ll do it or not as decided to do the Waterford Greenway HM on Sept 3rd instead so will decide after that what to do about Charleville.

Cheers K - I've never done Charleville before so looking forward to it. I seem to do well any time I cross the border for a race 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Charleville is a good course and great chance of a PB, once the weather plays ball. Best of luck for both races and also delighted to see you back running consistently A.

My only concern is the planned weekly 5 a side game of ball. As much as I would love to go back playing football, I know that it would injure me straight away. The reward is not worth the risk unfortunately. Astro is so tough on the ankles/knees/everything. As someone who has had issues with injuries and is targeting DCM 23, I would advise some caution on that front

• Advertisement

Cheers T, appreciate the input. To be honest you've raised some of my own concerns about the football, and I'm not convinced I'll stick with it long term, or even past a few weeks. But for whatever reason I'm keen to give it an initial shot and check out what the standard and intensity is like (hopefully low on both counts!). I figure while I'm in a base phase it's not a bad time to experiment a little. Ideally it will turn out to be something I dip in and out of depending on where I'm at with running, but more likely after a couple of weeks I'll remember that I can't kick a ball and knock it on the head. Or maybe interest in the weekly game itself from others in the group will fizzle out. Either way if I feel like I'm pushing my luck injury wise I'll knock it on the head sharpish.

Advertisement