Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cheap disk brake bike?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 1:17pm

As per the title of this thread I'm looking for a suggestion for a cheap bike with disk brakes, I'm seriously considering building myself a DIY ebike but unfortunately the hybrid I have has rim brakes I've read from a safety prospective I should ideally have disk brakes for an ebike due to the extra speed involved. My budget is around €600 or I could go slightly higher if necessary.

Appreciate any suggestions for either a new or second hand bike.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an e-bike won't go any faster than a normal bike. the assist cuts out at 25km/h, which is a speed you'd easily hit on a normal bike. any brakes should be able to deal with 25km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

As per the title of this thread I'm looking for a suggestion for a cheap bike with disk brakes, I'm seriously considering building myself a DIY ebike but unfortunately the hybrid I have has rim brakes I've read from a safety prospective I should ideally have disk brakes for an ebike due to the extra speed involved. My budget is around €600 or I could go slightly higher if necessary.

Appreciate any suggestions for either a new or second hand bike.

600 bucks wont really get much of a bike, maybe try adverts?

an e-bike won't go any faster than a normal bike. the assist cuts out at 25km/h, which is a speed you'd easily hit on a normal bike. any brakes should be able to deal with 25km/h.

Sorry I should have specified I'm buying a DIY motor kit I'm aware of the off the shelf 25kph limit that's why I'll be buying a kit where I can take off that low speed limit.

600 bucks wont really get much of a bike, maybe try adverts?

Thanks, just curious is there anything inherently wrong with a hydraulic disc brake bike from Halfords I've seen they have a few decent looking models around the €600 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

Due to their much heavier weight ebikes can go much faster downhill than non ebikes. Disc brakes are advisable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

2x4 wrote: »
    Due to their much heavier weight ebikes can go much faster downhill than non ebikes. Disc brakes are advisable.

Just to clarify I’m talking about a road legal ebike with a 25km cutoff speed. The OP is building a non legal ebike.

Thanks, just curious is there anything inherently wrong with a hydraulic disc brake bike from Halfords I've seen they have a few decent looking models around the €600 mark.

I once bought one of their own shop brands and no, it wasn't a good bike.
    You get what you pay for. A bike with a good a gearset will save you money in the long run.

Really depends on what you want from a bike, but if I was paying cash and not availing of the bike to work scheme, I'd get an old Giant second hand, remember the second hand market is competing with the Bike to Work scheme, so you can pick up a nice bargain.

Another thing to think about is the tire size. If you're adding weight, you would probably want a bigger tire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thread closed. a cheap home made, deregulated e-bike sounds not only dangerous but illegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement