Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Henry Cavill has been cast in The Highlander reboot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I'm actually all for this.

Feel the franchise deserves a proper expansion.

First one is a charming mess, and if we just ignore the rest maybe we'll see what should have been.

As much as I like Geralt, hoping for a bit more obvious levity from Cavill here. Lambert had a bit of silliness to him

Agree 100% with that bit of your post.

Highlander was a highly enjoyable movie....albeit maybe a bit silly... they should have just stopped at that point though, and not bothered with any sequels.

Ps. The Queen soundtrack was great and definitely helped elevate it from just being another actioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lambert had such a peculiar acting style

Its called "squinting"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Slydice wrote: »
    I didn't have a clue from what I'd remembered! They did that well!

Considering he was almost 3000 years old and roamed the planet for centuries. I think hes allowed to have whatever accent he likes

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

needs more hair, suffering a lot of hair loss past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Highlander' was absolute junk. But very enjoyable junk nonetheless. The thing is you can't just reboot something like that. 'Highlander' managed to come together in spite of itself. It really should never have worked, and is dangerously close to so bad it's good territory, but through god knows what, it kinda does.

But that kind of thing you just cannot replicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

If i recall it tanked at the cinema but established a return on VHS and that pushed the dog awful sequel years later. Lets not mention Connery cast as a Egyptian/Spaniard Jesus wept :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

BrookieD wrote: »
    If i recall it tanked at the cinema but established a return on VHS and that pushed the dog awful sequel years later. Lets not mention Connery cast as a Egyptian/Spaniard Jesus wept :D:D

Well, in fairness, the role of the Scot went to a Frenchman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Highlander' was absolute junk. But very enjoyable junk nonetheless. The thing is you can't just reboot something like that. 'Highlander' managed to come together in spite of itself. It really should never have worked, and is dangerously close to so bad it's good territory, but through god knows what, it kinda does.

But that kind of thing you just cannot replicate.

this is spectacularly accurate.... the theory of the Highlander is awesome, but that should never have been possible to do in the 80s.... i do love that movie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Connor and Duncan need cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

and Quentin! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭corkie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I think Mark Wahlberg has got there first :p

" Ian Shorr(screenplay)Todd Stein(screen story by)D. Eric Maikranz(based on the book "The Reincarnationist Papers" by)"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6654210/

Someone having past lives is different to been immortal. Film look interesting anyway.

Glad Highlander has a male lead role, so it won't be some female lead film. Maybe they could tell the story of another character than Connor or Duncan, maybe fill in the blanks of 'Ramírez' life.

As I'm posting

The Idea Behind Highlander Is Pretty Ridiculous by Mick Joest Published: Feb. 19. 2019

YouTube ~ The Critical Drinker ~ Highlander Doesn't Need A Remake

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, women can be scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

I watched Highlander last night on Netflix. God, it's an absolutely atrocious film, it's really more "so bad it's good" than being any sort of decent movie from any perspective imaginable. Horrible acting, cheesy, wafer thin story with no emotional depth, incoherent/nonsensical scenes aplenty.

I enjoyed it to a degree watching it with beers and friends but I absolutely would've turned it off if I was watching alone. I can't even begin to fathom how bad Highlander II and Highlander III must be, given the general consensus that the first only is "the only good one" by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Highlander was better suited as the series and the series was great fun in much the same way as Stargate was able to grow, Highlander was able to put down some sort of proper mythos involving Immortals & Watchers.

Duncan, Joe, Amanda, Charlie, Methos, Horton, Fitzcairn some great characters human and Immortal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, the second went so off the rails from a simple premise I applaud the nerve to do it at all. God knows sequels fall into a trap of just regurgitating the original - that can't be said of The Quickening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Homelander wrote: »
    I watched Highlander last night on Netflix. God, it's an absolutely atrocious film, it's really more "so bad it's good" than being any sort of decent movie from any perspective imaginable. Horrible acting, cheesy, wafer thin story with no emotional depth, incoherent/nonsensical scenes aplenty.

I enjoyed it to a degree watching it with beers and friends but I absolutely would've turned it off if I was watching alone. I can't even begin to fathom how bad Highlander II and Highlander III must be, given the general consensus that the first only is "the only good one" by a wide margin.

I kinda agree with this. I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago and by all measures it's a pretty terrible film. The acting is abysmal and story almost non-existent but I still enjoyed it as it's totally over the top and very '80s'. I did have a few beers while watching though.

I get why it's a cult classic. It's a fun film but only because of how bad it is. I'm not sure a remake would be able to capture that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Highlander was better suited as the series and the series was great fun in much the same way as Stargate was able to grow, Highlander was able to put down some sort of proper mythos involving Immortals & Watchers.
    Duncan, Joe, Amanda, Charlie, Methos, Horton, Fitzcairn some great characters human and Immortal.

Yes I also think the tv series surpassed the films

Drew McIntyre in WWE kinda has a Connor gimmick mixed with Braveheart maybe he'll get a cameo :p

{collider.com} Why 'Highlander' Is the Perfect Franchise to Reboot
    As it turns out, there can in fact be more than one.

"Long story short: Not every announced reboot is a bad idea, and Highlander in particular seems ripe for another go. Even if it ends up being a straightforward remake of the original film with Cavill playing MacLeod, it’s hard to consider it sacrilege when the first film is full of cheaply-built sets, dicey accents, and plot points that don’t make a ton of sense. Sorry, Christopher Lambert superfans – it’s just not a terribly good movie. But it is an interesting movie, with some unique story components that could provide a solid foundation for an updated version of the tale. Ironically, in this case, there doesn’t have to be only one, and a Highlander do-over with Stahelski and Cavill onboard should be a reboot we welcome with open arms and upraised swords."

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was there some course that all these bloggers who write for pop culture sites took to ensure that they come across as condescending ****?

It's endemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I was wondering when they were going to get around to rebooting Highlander, I've been saying it for ages. It makes sense with the success of GoT, the Witcher and the other sword and magic shows on at the minute. The audience is there and Cavill will draw in loads too.
    Another step closer to rebooting a live action version of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. :pac:

Rumours that Cavill has dropped out of the remake/reboot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

he's doing the Warhammer/games workshop stuff isn't he?

That could end up as a big commitment if it succeeds (doubtful) and he is playing one of the characters that have multiple novels

Henry Cavill seems to be having himself a whirlwind of opportunities, but also cancelations that are combating those new opportunities. Through our trusted and proven sources, we can report that Henry Cavill has now been dropped from starring in the Highlander remake, and Chris Hemsworth is now being targeted for the role. Cavill has now been let go from three separate franchises in the last few months.

that website seems to want us to believe that it was him being dropped... i would think it was the opposite..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love the original Highlander and hate pretty much everything that followed including the series. I don't think any of them captured what made the original work, half of which was Freddie Mercury crooning about not wanting to live forever. Also just how down right weird present day Lambert is in that film. The premise of immortals having sword fights etc is really nothing on its own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Highlander is a good example of something that's perhaps not actually good on any technical or structural level, but kinda magnetic in a purely trashy, pulpy sorta way. It entertains, despite the very overt flaws.

Minus the Queen soundtrack it's a bit shít, but still has that charisma of an interesting idea executed with just about the right amount of brio to compensate for (as an example) its lead's total lack of talent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Honestly, the best effort I can think of at giving the franchise some life was probably the animated series (and I say this as someone who generally enjoyed the series when it originally aired).

The live-action stuff is phenomenally 80s/early 90s in its styling, relying hugely on moody blokes in trenchcoats having swordfights in the street and the kind of cod-historical drama that's somewhere around Braveheart levels of sophistication. The Queen soundtrack on the first film is a large part of why it came together at all, so in the absence of both that music and that setting, you've just got a fairly dull premise.

The animated series felt very much like one of those "we'll greenlight your idea but you're grafting these names and ideas into the end result so we can reuse this IP/branding" - but it was at least something different (set in a far future where the immortals were still somehow tramping round the place). Its biggest issue in terms of "lore" (>spits on ground in disgust<) is probably that the Immortals have found a non-death-based quickening method that can be used by the protagonist to accumulate skills and knowledge to defeat the big bad... At least, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I loved it when it came out and I was 11 or whatever, but I saw it a couple of years ago on TV and it's dreadful, and I say that having watched and enjoyed a lot of old 80s/90s action classics with my kids recently. Highlander by comparison doesn't stand up at all, the story is dumb, the acting terrible, and the effects laughable. (I recall seeing Highlander II in the cinema and thinking even then that it was terrible, IIRC it features a lot of talking and guff about aliens and the environment).

Advertisement