Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solo Funraiser for IMNDA & Research Motor Neurone

Options
  • 30-04-2021 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

A bit of back story. In May 2020 my wife was diagnosed with motor neurone disease. Instead of a scuba diving holiday our lives were put on hold. So for the 1 year anniversary I have decided to do a fundraise cycle for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association and Research Motor Neurone with the intention of raising as much money as I can and as much awareness to both organisations.

My plan is to cycle 1000km in May and tomorrow I will start. I will do the event mostly on my new Suito turbo trainer. I will get out on the road when I can but I am nervous of going any distance in case I am needed.
    I would love if you can share it around and if possible donate.

My pages are here. www.1000kinmay.ie ( Links to facebook, Idonate, and tally counter,

www.facebook.com/1000kinmay for updates , awareness and photos
    www.idonate.ie/1000kinmay for donations

https://www.strava.com/athletes/911491 for strava updates and proof I am not an seasoned cyclist.. :)

All shares very much appreciated. If you want to join me you can point people to my page or do your own.

Thanks

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Just Updating this to keep anyone interested informed.

I am on day 4. Up to yesterday i have done 143km. The best bit is we have €3100 raised for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association and Research Motor Neurone.

I have some toe issues and for some reason i realised I was pushing my toes on the left foot into the sole of my shoe on the down stroke. I have to work on why I am doing that. I thought it was an ingrown toenail or tight shoe.

Donation link www.idonate.ie/1000kinmay
    facebook link www.facebook.com/1000kinmay.
    strava link https://www.strava.com/athletes/911491

I have had a few anonymous donations so if any of you have donated thank you.

I finished day 11 last night, with 1 rest day. I wanted 500km in by May10th but that was our anniversary so it didn't happen. So yesterday I managed 75km to bring me to the half way mark of 500km. 75km doesn't seem a lot but I'm caring for my wife so its sometimes on and off the bike a few times so I break the spins into smaller blocks.

A good thing about the challenge is I am getting to micro adjust my bike and its feeling the best it has done for a long time. Even after a bike fit a few years ago. I was able to mark all the original settings on the saddle height, position and angle and adjust 1 bit at a time and go with that for a few days.

Fundraising is going great. I have €3828 in donations. It's a great amount of money considering everything going on in May for fundraising.

If you know anyone who could promote this a little, like a shout out or a few shares please ask them.
    Hopefully my jersey awareness project will help in the future and earn a few quid.

I have 1 more project line up after this one is over that will be of interest to everyone here.

So if you have supported me thank you. I have a few donations from people I don't know and anonymous donations which I would prefer to know who donated so I can thank them properly, so to everyone I really appreciate every donation as does Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association and Research Motor Neurone.
    In a few weeks I will become a lab rat for them to do some control subject research. My my wife has already done the test pre lockdown. All for the cause :)

www.1000kinmay.ie (links to facebook & iDonate)

Update:

I am 807km in at the moment with 11 days to go. I think I might go for my strava 1250km badge. Yesterday we had new equipment in the house, engineer call for fix and issue and visitors. By the time everyone left and my normal carer duties calmed down I sat on the sofa and fell asleep. I am happy enough. I took 3 rest days so far which was planned.
    Weather dependant and carer availability I would like to finish by doing 1 more challenge for me and that is to cycle from Wexford to Nine stones carpark, just under Mount lenister antennas and back (Maybe even attempt a section to the mast). Today or tomorrow I might try 1 way virtually on the trainer.

Donation wise I just got my 100th donation and I have raised €4568.50 for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Assocation and Research Motor Neurone.

For the last week I would love as much shares as possible so if your on facebook, twitter or instagram pay a visit and give me a share.

Thank you for your donations to date. I know a few of you have and as mentions I have lots of Anonymous donations.

Twitter / instagram @lochdara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Best of luck with that and your situation. My Dad succumbed to motor neuron disease.... It's an awful thing. :(

Update.
    I wasn't intending in doing daily updates. I have been going in all sorts of directions and asking for shares to increase donations. Well yesterday I hit my €5000 target. Now its increased. I couldn't believe it. I am now at €5188. Up from €4468 the previous day.

I would like to cycling Mt Leinster so I took yesterdays crap weather to make a map from Wex to Nine Stones. My first attempt failed 12km in when I realised the trainer was not adjusting the resistance so I stopped, reset and started again later on. I didn't feel like cheating. I couldn't restart then as I am time limited being a carer. So 57km spin, last 7km with 300m elevation approx was a tough one for me. 877 km in total cycled.

Today I am going to try go from the carpark to the mast virtually. I have an elite suito so I dont think the trainer can make that resistance. 2.6km over 300m+ elevation. To be truthful I think the trainer will do better than me. I reckon I'll make the first 50m. Its hard enough to walk it but we will see.

I will try complete the 1250 strava challenge and the 7500m climbing for the last week.

Again thank you for your support.

• Advertisement

Virtually cycled up the service road to the mast on Mt. Leinster 14.7% max recorded. I took a 23km flat warm up route to bring me over the 900km mark before hand.
    Took 22 minutes but i finished it without stopping. I would love to try it for real this year. I reckon it will be much harder for a few reasons. Road surface, wind, weather and the 57km in the legs before i arrive.

I have increased my target to €7500 and to offset that I have decided to increase the km cycled to 1250km. On top of that I will try to reach 7500m climbed. I am currently on 1927m so the next few days will be interesting. I got through 900km on almost flat routes so why not make it a bit more of a challenge.

Yesterday was the wifes birthday and I manage to reach the 1000km yesterday evening. Its very satisfying climbing up 10% hill even virtually and zwift upto 100% and send back thanks to those who donated while you are on the bike.

I have 1000km done, 4224m climbed and €5643 raised as of this morning.

My challenge is increased to 1250km and 7500m climbing. Considering on the trainer I can get 30km in just under an hour it took me 90 minutes to climb the highest route in watopia the other night at 12km climbing.
    Thanks to anyone who as donated.

I done a little video to show why I am fundraising if anyone would like to look at it

https://twitter.com/lochdara/status/1396143816818798592

Thatsmy #1000kinMay fundraiser complete. As i hit my €5k target I increased distance to 1250 to get my Strava badge and 7500m for the same reason. I done that last night, although my stupid trainer disconnected and would not reconnect at 1249km.

this morning I decided to amuse myself as climb to Everest height, completing my challenge 1281km , 8850m Currently raised €6423.50 for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association & Research Motor Neurone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Well done on the 1,000km. And far more significantly, well done on the fundraising.

Chapeau.

I hit the €7500 target last night. As a local reporter said he would run a story as soon as our new wheelchair vehicle arrives I have increased my target to €10k. I'm not sure if its the right thing to do but my thinking if someone sees 100% target they may think they don't need to donate.

I have contacted Cycling Ireland and Sticky Bottle asking for help in my raffle next month for the signed pro jersey. I will go in search of a few spot prizes too.

Thank you to the boardsie's who donated

• Advertisement

I got an article about my story printed today in the local Wexford paper.

Link to a photo of the article here for anyone interested. I used the story to highlight the service available so it may help someone someday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10158656342334775&set=a.71940634774

1 week left in this fundraiser. My total collected is now €9046. I am absolutely delighted. My target is €10k so I'll keep pushing that. I mailed trek, elite and continental asking if they had a charity fund. Trek replied with an online application for a donation which is very fair. I may or may not get it but I got the opportunity to pitch my story and ask.

Next project is a jersey raffle.

Last night I got to my fundraiser target of €10,000. So delighted to achieve that. It was difficult enough to keep momentum going while being a full time carer to my wife. Thanks again to anyone who donated , shared and liked posts on my many social media platforms.

I'm collecting Pogacar's signed jersey tomorrow and I'll start prepping to raffle it off. I will contact a few companies for spot prizes so If you know any contacts or have the ability to supply one do get in touch.

Advertisement