Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

km79 wrote: »
    Missed call from them today

Any update for us.... Deal or No Deal??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Masala wrote: »
    Any update for us.... Deal or No Deal??

They called again the following day
    40% off everything
    I declined . I’m happier without. I watched a full day of soccer on Now using my mobile broadband on Sunday with no buffering or interruptions .

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

km79 wrote: »
    They called again the following day
    40% off everything
    I declined . I’m happier without. I watched a full day of soccer on Now using my mobile broadband on Sunday with no buffering or interruptions .

mind me asking how much it was with the 40percent off for sports ?
    got now tv aswell but having problems with internet slowing down if i watch for about 2hours. might wait till august to go back tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    mind me asking how much it was with the 40percent off for sports ?
    got now tv aswell but having problems with internet slowing down if i watch for about 2hours. might wait till august to go back tho.

With HD last year it was 60 euro with the sports

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

blowin3 wrote: »
    Whats the best number to contact Sky I am sick of holding and been cut off :(

1800 92 74 76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Butson wrote: »
    I see they are offering HD free for 6 months now for new sign ups

And then it goes back up to full price! :mad:.
    If everybody here stopped paying them for "extras" like HD, they would start to bring the prices down or stop charging for it.
    As said before, UK customers get HD for free so why do we pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Everyone pays for everything. There’s no ‘free’

If your pack is 30 and HD is 8 then your HD pack is 38

Stop getting hung up on what they call payments.

If 38 seems value for you pay it, if it doesn’t, then don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

okidoki987 wrote: »
    And then it goes back up to full price! :mad:.
    If everybody here stopped paying them for "extras" like HD, they would start to bring the prices down or stop charging for it.
    As said before, UK customers get HD for free so why do we pay for it?
    On one hand you're giving out about paying for it and on the other you're agreeing to pay for it. Why not take your own advice and just stop paying for HD.

Just remember, so long as people are prepared to pay for HD then Sky will charge for it. Its a business they're running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

muffler wrote: »
    On one hand you're giving out about paying for it and on the other you're agreeing to pay for it. Why not take your own advice and just stop paying for HD.

When I say we, I meant as a nation.
    I've never paid Sky for HD and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I am contemplating leaving Sky.
    Kids are now late teens/20+ and gone to college, etc.
    I don't have fibre locally so I use Imagine for broadband.

My original Sky Box (non HD) is probably in the attic.
    My neighbour had a spare Sky HD unit and I have used that for the past 24+ months.
    We are probably with them 12+ yrs by now.
    When cancelling do they demand the box back ?

I realise they try to stall you cancelling.
    What is the quickest anyone has managed to cut loose of them ?

If I do get to keep my box - within ROI what FTA channels will I still have access to ? The Beebs ?
    I realise the "Irish Terrestrials" will go once the card is defunct.

Is there anything else to consider in terms of unsubscribing from them ?
    I realise that live pause and recordings would be disabled on the box as the service would be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ifconfig wrote: »
    I am contemplating leaving Sky.
    Kids are now late teens/20+ and gone to college, etc.
    I don't have fibre locally so I use Imagine for broadband.

My original Sky Box (non HD) is probably in the attic.
    My neighbour had a spare Sky HD unit and I have used that for the past 24+ months.
    We are probably with them 12+ yrs by now.
    When cancelling do they demand the box back ?

I realise they try to stall you cancelling.
    What is the quickest anyone has managed to cut loose of them ?

If I do get to keep my box - within ROI what FTA channels will I still have access to ? The Beebs ?
    I realise the "Irish Terrestrials" will go once the card is defunct.

Is there anything else to consider in terms of unsubscribing from them ?
    I realise that live pause and recordings would be disabled on the box as the service would be gone.
    No they won’t ask for the box back. Just be insistent on the phone that you want to leave, they got a bit of stick for making it difficult for people to leave so it might be a bit easier. I cancelled their phone and bb for my father’s house it was just a matter of sticking to my guns (I pretended I was him:D) as I wasn’t getting into all this gdpr malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Anyone know the rules on the 31 days notice for leaving ?

I tried to cancel yesterday but was 45 days away from being out of contract , was no no l can't give more than 31 days notice that l have to ring back exactly 31 days from being out of contract .

Seems madness l don't believe them they are liars in sky customer service from past experiences with them.

I looked at my contract from last year but it just says you must give 31 days to leave nothing about exactly 31 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Juwwi wrote: »
    Anyone know the rules on the 31 days notice for leaving ?

I tried to cancel yesterday but was 45 days away from being out of contract , was no no l can't give more than 31 days notice that l have to ring back exactly 31 days from being out of contract .

Seems madness l don't believe them they are liars in sky customer service from past experiences with them.

I looked at my contract from last year but it just says you must give 31 days to leave nothing about exactly 31 days.

It’s 31 days, don’t know why you think you should get anything more. This is standard practice for canceling any contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It’s 31 days, don’t know why you think you should get anything more. This is standard practice for canceling any contract.

I know it's 31 days how am l looking for anything more .

I'm happy to pay up until out of contract but was just trying to give more notice than 31 days .

What if it doesn't suit someone to ring on the exact day 31 days before contract ends ,could be out of the country ,in hospital anything .

To me 31 days notice means a minimum of 31 days not exactly 31 days .

Juwwi wrote: »
    To me 31 days notice means a minimum of 31 days not exactly 31 days .
    It is a min 31 days which can be given anytime during the last 31 days of your contract or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kenn0

Had sky cinema at €14.50 cancelled

Offered it for €10 for 6 months then full

Cancel whenever I want.

Have it back now for another 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

kenn0 wrote: »

Cancel whenever I want.

To be fair, a Tenner a month for 6 months is quite good for Sky Cinema. Nice deal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cancel whenever I want.

How much is your total package costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kenn0

Breakdown of my monthly bill

HD and kids half price for 6 months

Cinema €10 for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Cinema €10 for 6 months

I see they now discounting HD!!!! Used to sell as it €10 down from €15!!

Now down to €4!

Well Well...... throw enough **** at the wall some is sure to stick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

If I sign up to the 6 months half price sports offer - am I tied in for 6 months? I only want it for the summer and want to cancel in Aug/Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

Stewball wrote: »
    If I sign up to the 6 months half price sports offer - am I tied in for 6 months? I only want it for the summer and want to cancel in Aug/Sept.

You can cancel the sports package but usually with these sorts of offers you have to keep a basic Sky TV pack for a minimum of 12 months. Per the T&C's:

6 months €25 Sports offer: Existing Sky TV customers and new Sky Sports customers only. Sky Sports €25pm for 6 months, then €40pm unless cancelled on 31 days' notice. Allow 24 hours for activation. Requires Sky TV on 12 month minimum term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Cinema €10 for 6 months

Looks like you're being charged €10 for one month, not €10 for 6 months

What's your internet like? Now TV have an offer at the moment at €19.50pm for 2 devices and you can cancel it anytime

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/sports-overview

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

Its for the parents house - so the Now TV offer isn't an option.
    They already have the standard Sky package, so I was going to put the Sports on it for them for the few GAA matches over the summer.

If I can cancel it in August it's perfect for them. They don't have any interest in Soccer or Rugby.

They already have the standard Sky package, so I was going to put the Sports on it for them for the few GAA matches over the summer.

If I can cancel it in August it's perfect for them. They don't have any interest in Soccer or Rugby.
    If there is any sort of basic pack used then Sports can be added and removed any time subject to the usual 1 month's notice of cancelling. In fact you can add it and cancel during the same phone call if taking it for a single month.

When adding sports Sky will try to impose a new 12 month contract on the basic pack but if you persist they may well yield on that ... they have done so numerous times in the past.

A lot of times its down to making a choice between getting a good offer on sports while agreeing a new 12 month contract on the basic pack versus paying full price for sports with no new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

"When adding sports Sky will try to impose a new 12 month contract on the basic pack but if you persist they may well yield on that ... they have done so numerous times in the past."

Crap - never once have they tried to foist a new contract on me when taking up a Sports offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I think the GAA comes on the standard package.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/sky-to-extend-its-2020-gaa-coverage-to-all-of-its-customers-1.4374417

That was last year so I cant say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone managed to get free installation when upgrading to Sky Q? They're looking for €155 when I check the website and I'm not giving them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get free installation when upgrading to Sky Q? They're looking for €155 when I check the website and I'm not giving them that.

If you sign up to multi room it’s free installation and you get multiroom for €12 a month, so slightly less than installation fee and you get an extra room……if you don’t need/want that then it’s useless of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ctlsleh wrote: »
    If you sign up to multi room it’s free installation and you get multiroom for €12 a month, so slightly less than installation fee and you get an extra room……if you don’t need/want that then it’s useless of course!

Herself wants multiroom alright and we had it years ago but we're only paying €40 at the moment and adding multiroom and upgrading will bring the bill up to €63 which is more than I'm willing to pay.

Advertisement