Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl: Irish artisan coffee producers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've bought 2 of these so far, both to bring in to share at work.

- Slumberjack, I bought it both ground and wholebean. This is very, very dark roast and personally wouldn't appeal. If someone was an espresso drinker maybe there's an application but as someone who only drinks filter it was not for me. In fairness, it's labelled fairly clearly.

- Brady's High Grade Guatemalan / Brazilian blend. I thought this was excellent for €4, would definitely buy again, and I preferred it to Aldi's Velo offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I posted feedback on Brady's in the other thread - I would agree exactly! Preferred it to Velo and at €18 per kg was very drinkable. Nothing exceptional or remarkable about it but a good solid option and you wouldn't throw the bag out like!

Hope the Soma is in soon - looking forward to that

I see galway roast see 4x200g bags for €20 on their website which is great value - anyone tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any idea when they will be in stock in Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I'll be interested in how much the Soma beans retail for. They're one of my favourite Irish roasters and their original Cork café is one of my favourites in the city. I did try the Brady's stuff last week and couldn't stand it at all even though I've had it in cafés and enjoyed it. Recent roast date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SheepSeeker

What's the price range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Here's the pricing according to the examiner:

"Taking note of the army of home baristas that the pandemic has created, Lidl is expanding its coffee range to include five new Irish roasters, including Cork’s Soma Coffee (€6.49).

Other brands coming to the country’s 209 stores include Brady’s coffee from Wicklow (€3.99), The Galway Roast (€4.49), SlumberJack Coffee from Antrim (€3.49 to €4.99), and Tyrone’s Bravo Tango (€6.49)"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Grabbed a bag of Brady’s to get it a try, Guatemalan. Think roast date on bag might be 29/04

Here's the pricing according to the examiner:

"Taking note of the army of home baristas that the pandemic has created, Lidl is expanding its coffee range to include five new Irish roasters, including Cork’s Soma Coffee (€6.49).

Other brands coming to the country’s 209 stores include Brady’s coffee from Wicklow (€3.99), The Galway Roast (€4.49), SlumberJack Coffee from Antrim (€3.49 to €4.99), and Tyrone’s Bravo Tango (€6.49)"

€6.50 for the soma, if there isn't a roast date (hopefully there is), is pricey enough. They do have a good reputation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there'll be a BB, not a Roast Date you'd imagine

Maybe this is naive, but given that it's coming from in-country I would figure the effective roast date cannot be that far out. Last month or the month before at most seems credible. The logistics chain surely isn't long enough for bags to have been knocking around any longer, you'd hope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

there'll be a BB, not a Roast Date you'd imagine

I might be misremembering but I think some of Lidl's own brand beans had roast dates on them, the single origin ones they had for a while.

But yeah if it's anything like what Velo did it'll be best before

....or they could be dumping stock they weren't able to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Maybe this is naive, but given that it's coming from in-country I would figure the effective roast date cannot be that far out. Last month or the month before at most seems credible. The logistics chain surely isn't long enough for bags to have been knocking around any longer, you'd hope?

I just go with the approach that no roast date then i expect to pay less.

Just the way I have it in my head,

I literally just went out and bought a Brady's Guatemalan blend and there's a 'best before 30-05-22' on the base.

I literally just went out and bought a Brady's Guatemalan blend and there's a 'best before 30-05-22' on the base.

Then we now have the question as to whether its a 1 yr expiry and they managed to roast yesterday, pack ship and get on shelf by today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I picked up a bag of Slumberjack beans last week and have been making my way through them, mostly as flat whites. Not bad, but very dark alright - not really my thing, but I'll still be drinking it.

Then we now have the question as to whether its a 1 yr expiry and they managed to roast yesterday, pack ship and get on shelf by today??

very suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The Brady's beans have a batch no. which appears to be 00-day-month-year which I would take as a roast date. Mine for example is stamped 00150421. I don't think that's too much of a leap, maybe I'm wrong though.

The Brady's beans have a batch no. which appears to be 00-day-month-year which I would take as a roast date. Mine for example is stamped 00150421. I don't think that's too much of a leap, maybe I'm wrong though.

Mine says 00170521.

I think you're exactly right..

Mine says 00170521.

Must have a look at some bags when i am in shop - Don't get the refusal to print the detail on the bag or label.

Especially is the batch number is giving it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

....or they could be dumping stock they weren't able to sell

This is likely I think based on my experience of the Velo beans

Don't get the refusal to print the detail on the bag or label.
    Too difficult to sell if something is perceived as going stale (ie roast date is too far in the past) than having a Best Before 10 months in the future

Especially is the batch number is giving it away.
    "normal" punters aren't going to be bothered trying to work this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Mine says 00170521.

Mine had 00290421.

Tried it this morning, not too shabby for 4euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

barista quality...

Saw the Tango Brava in Lidl today - roast date printed don the bags - 21st May. €6.49 for the bag. Guatamalan whole bean available.

Didn't pick it up as I have loads at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedSteve

Does anyone know when the Soma beans are supposed to be in stock? I read it was the 10th June but I looked in 2 stores and they weren’t in stock, and I would have expected Soma to say on their Instagram that they’re available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No more Velo for me, anything over 3 months of so and my machine just hates them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

No more Velo for me, anything over 3 months of so and my machine just hates them.

I tried Velo from Aldi and did not like it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Using the slumber jack beans at the moment. A bit dark but not a bad cup. Using as espresso and Americano. Great value at 5 quid for 500g.

Looking forward to trying the others.

• Advertisement

Bravo Tango on the shelf in my local Lidl today, just newly gone up. Roast date is on the pack as 21/05...

Advertisement