Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Converting garage to en suite

• 31-05-2021 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some guidance on something please....
    I'm considering buying a house which only has one bathroom but it has a garage which is connected to the house, so I'm thinking the wall between master bedroom and garage would need to be knocked through and then convert the garage to a very large ensuite bathroom with toilet, bath, shower, etc...

Is doing this very costly? I don't have exact measurements of the garage, lets say it's your standard garage that would easily hold a car etc, that connects to a house for the purpose of this question.
    And would planning permission be required?

Are there any questions I should be asking seller first or any obvious pitfalls of taking this on?

Basically I'm trying to weigh up whether this is going to be feasible or very costly before I decide if I'm taking the house as I'm not interested if it only has one bathroom so this is kind of the only way of doing it....

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Depending on access to the existing pipework or if a lot of new pipework routing is needed this will affect cost.
    Also if shower water tank is needed.
    Then it's the normal stuff, fixtures/fittings/tiling/plastering etc

Would really need to get a builder/plumber to advise on specific cost for the pipework for that house.
    Everything else can be priced in a local hardware/bathroom supplier. (Prices are increasing a lot at the moment)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Thanks Bronson!
    Oh I should have mentioned the house was built in late 1970's in case that might be relevant. Only thought of it there now when you mentioned the pipework

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the garage is to the side or rear of the house, then you don't need planning to convert it to domestic use provided that it's less than 40 sq.m.

As the man says above, a lot of the cost is dependent on how easy it is to attach new pipework to the existing. If the garage is not plumbed at all, then there could be a lot of work digging soil pipes across the property, adding central heating, etc etc. Same for electrics; an electric shower can't just be attached to the ring main.

And so on. I'm assuming here that when you say garage, what you have is a bare block room with a big garage door, attached to the house. Few or no electrics, no insulation, no plumbing.

Rough Ballpark: 1k per sq.m. just for a basic upgrade from "garage" to "usable room". And another 1k per sq.m. to upgrade to a fully kitted (and tiled, presumably) bathroom.

Fair play thanks Seamus! And yes spot on about the "bare block room with a big garage door, attached to the house...no insulation, no plumbing" bit.

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Is the front of the garage visible from the road?
    • Are you changing the front: eg window for garage door?
    • Are the floors at the same level?
    • what sort of roof is on garage?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

• Is the front of the garage visible from the road?
    • Are you changing the front: eg window for garage door?
    • Are the floors at the same level?
    • what sort of roof is on garage?

Is the front of the garage visible from the road? YES
    Are you changing the front: eg window for garage door? YES garage door would be removed and regular window added
    Are the floors at the same level? YES
    what sort of roof is on garage? Standard tiled roof same as rest of house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OK, then I think you need PP for changing the door to window.
    I may be wrong
    My guess is there is no insulation in the floor of garage

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Is the garage about 16' by 8'?
    Are the walls solid or cavity block?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leave the garage add bathroom on. I think converting will lose value tbh

PMBC wrote: »
    Is the garage about 16' by 8'?
    Are the walls solid or cavity block?

Slightly bigger than that and they're cavity block as far as I know. I can double check to make sure though
    listermint wrote: »
    Leave the garage add bathroom on. I think converting will lose value tbh

actually I never even thought of that. It's not the worst of ideas. I'm guessing it would cost more though than using the existing garage due to roof etc... I was under the impression that converting is cheaper than just adding on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Think of your needs now and in the future. As other poster says, it may be cheaper to stay away from the garage. Also its a great place to store stuff or for children to play in during wet days. Having said that, its a pity to see that space go unused. My first house was cavity block with pumped insulation and we improved it reamrkably by dry lining and internally insulating.
    You could ask an architect or engineer or builder look at it for you and make suggestions. Not looking for a job btw!

Advertisement