Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun Slugs

• 30-05-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know of any firearms dealers who are doing a good deal (if there's such a thing) on shotgun slugs at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

John Burke had some last time i was looking for some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Ardee Sports had some, tunet seem to be the least expensive here but still looking at €~1 a pop at best.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    Ardee Sports had some, tunet seem to be the least expensive here but still looking at €~1 a pop at best.

I was, maybe naively, hoping that they'd be less than a €1 a pop.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I was, maybe naively, hoping that they'd be less than a €1 a pop.

Best I've seen in Ireland was ~90 cents a pop, but that was when buying a thousand, so I didn't take them up on that ;)

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

I thought we couldn't have them here?

• Advertisement

I thought we couldn't have them here?

You can have them for target shooting on a restricted licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

How many would you go through in an average competition?

How many would you go through in an average competition?

I'm new to the game, only got my shotgun last week so I haven't taken part in a competition yet. A T&P 1 is 30 rounds, Multi Target is 24 rounds. Embassy cup is 24 rounds. Then there's long range comp, 100 yard and 200 yards. I think that's 24 rounds.

So, those 4 comps would cost about €100 in ammo if you were paying about €1 per slug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'm new to the game, only got my shotgun last week so I haven't taken part in a competition yet. A T&P 1 is 30 rounds, Multi Target is 24 rounds. Embassy cup is 24 rounds. Then there's long range comp, 100 yard and 200 yards. I think that's 24 rounds.

So, those 4 comps would cost about €100 in ammo if you were paying about €1 per slug.

Don’t forget that you’ll need to shoot a fair few multiples of that to become proficient with the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭JP22

Crazy money..........:eek::eek::eek:

Just as well I only shoot 22RF, Eley match €15 a box with lots of other good stuff for far less.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

I'm reasonably new to Target Shotgun myself. The price mentioned seems about normal for what I have been buying.

A tip one lad gave me is to practice with ordinary shotshells (6s, 7s etc.) as far as possible. I've been doing this to get the feel of the gun and how it operates, practice reloading, emptying the mag quickly etc. and generally shooting it without worrying too much about accuracy. Basically improving my gun handling and confidence without it costing €1 every time I pull the trigger.

I try to use the heavier loads so that when I then fire a few slugs, it seems lighter recoil, or certainly no worse.

Then I use some slugs on paper targets to see how good my aim really is (sadly room for plenty of improvement yet).

I'm looking forward to getting into it a bit more now that the lockdown situation is finally (hopefully) resolved. I've had the new shotgun over a year now but only shot it about 4-5 times so still in need of lots of practice.

the number of rounds you need for a few competitions is not too high os that keeps the expense down a bit but like a lot of our disciplines it's the practice that eats up the cash.

Glad I have a .22 as well. Still the best bang for buck

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Most of the slugs you get are only viable for the short range competitions and most are not even good at that

Geco slugs always worked the best for me in those competitions.

Dont bother using those or any other target slug for 100 and 200 not that ive seen too many do it over the years, even at 100 those slugs dont have the velocity. Ive seen them hitting a board at 100 and sticking about half way in, in the best cases.

Winchester slughunters Green high brass are the only ones ive used which have the velocity to get out to 200 yards.

A good red dot and a lot of luck helps for 100 and 200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Two questions, if not three...

Chokes -
    1.When using No 6/7 for practice, what choke do you use?

2. When using slugs, what choke do you use?

Slugs-
    Are the use of sabot or fin stabilised slugs used/allowed?

Chokes -

Slugs-

For me
    1 - Full, tightest choke. I use the same weight shells(28g) as the slugs I'll use.
    No perceptible difference in recoil in a gas operated semiauto.

2 - Modified(the tightest varies by slug though, some require cylinder, others can go tighter with modified being the norm.

3 - Yup, nothing in competition rules that prevent their use AFAIK. Some of my slugs are sabot, but most are rifled slugs in Brenneke style.

JP22 wrote: »
    Crazy money..........:eek::eek::eek:

Just as well I only shoot 22RF, Eley match €15 a box with lots of other good stuff for far less.:)

I must admit despite the more expensive loadings I've had the most fun of an afternoon with a semiauto 22 and a bulk pack of federal 22.

525 for €35 is a lot of fun for little outlay at ~0.07 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭JP22

freddieot wrote: »
    ............A tip one lad gave me is to practice with ordinary shotshells (6s, 7s etc.) as far as possible. I've been doing this to get the feel of the gun and how it operates, practice reloading, emptying the mag quickly etc. and generally shooting it without worrying too much about accuracy. Basically improving my gun handling and confidence without it costing €1 every time I pull the trigger...........

Practice is the only way to improve, familiarity and consistency is the name of the game.
    ............Then I use some slugs on paper targets to see how good my aim really is (sadly room for plenty of improvement yet).

Try this, using empty gun, aim at the target, then close your eyes, lower shotgun, then bring back up to the aim point, now open your eyes and see if your on target or very close to POA. If your mounting & holding the gun the same way every time you should be on or very near.

Like dry firing, this is a cheap way to practice your mounting and holding technique.

Enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

My first year shooting 100y, 200y at Bisley in the Phoenix competition I came second place. Shooting a Mossberg Maverick 88 pump action, 24" barrel. With a cheap Ebay Red Dot reflex sight.
    I was shooting the yellow box Brenneke KO slugs. I was leading right up until Sunday, but still a great result.

Chokes -

Slugs-

For Slugs Ive used improved cylinder for a Remington 870 and even a breaching choke at the end and it worked fine, as for Groups, its a shotgun, hitting the board at 200 yards with a score of any sort consistently is all thats required to do well.

The slugs are standard shotgun slugs, all the other stuff was too technical or too difficult to source for me. Some do vary but the slughunter by Winchester did the best for me at 200, maybe not in comps when your red dot glass moves, but thats life. Not Sure whats allowed for comps I thin it has to be lead or standard target slugs only.

Geco, Brennake, and Winchester slughunters I think they are spelt are the main ones I used, never had much luck with Tunet, lots of jams on cycling, I think the brass is too short on them, you need slugs with long brass necks especially for Pump action shotguns.

I'm reasonably new to Target Shotgun myself. The price mentioned seems about normal for what I have been buying.

A tip one lad gave me is to practice with ordinary shotshells (6s, 7s etc.) as far as possible. I've been doing this to get the feel of the gun and how it operates, practice reloading, emptying the mag quickly etc. and generally shooting it without worrying too much about accuracy. Basically improving my gun handling and confidence without it costing €1 every time I pull the trigger.

I try to use the heavier loads so that when I then fire a few slugs, it seems lighter recoil, or certainly no worse.

Then I use some slugs on paper targets to see how good my aim really is (sadly room for plenty of improvement yet).

I'm looking forward to getting into it a bit more now that the lockdown situation is finally (hopefully) resolved. I've had the new shotgun over a year now but only shot it about 4-5 times so still in need of lots of practice.

the number of rounds you need for a few competitions is not too high os that keeps the expense down a bit but like a lot of our disciplines it's the practice that eats up the cash.

Glad I have a .22 as well. Still the best bang for buck

For practice if you cant get hold of 12 snap caps, I tried them and they were of varying sizes so just get 12 high brass cartridges and fire them.

Then get a wooden dowel from the hardware store that fits inside them. Bring an empty cartridge to the shop and test fit, if its a tight fit, get the dowel and cut them to the size of the original round and trim the excess plastic and there you have it, 12 rds for practice for loading and dry firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    For me

3 - Yup, nothing in competition rules that prevent their use AFAIK. Some of my slugs are sabot, but most are rifled slugs in Brenneke style.

Speaking of slugs...Anyone tried or ever seen the French "Sauvestre" Sabot slugs around here?They are primarily hunting slugs,not paper punchers because of their price,and just curious to know has anyone any experience with those?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement