Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was speeding pretty badly yesterday

• 30-05-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm a complete f***ing idiot. I drove to Dublin on the N4 overtaking people over the speed limit and speeding on open roads. I feel like ****, I can't believe I didn't think I might crash into someone and ruin their lives. I don't know what to do, I want to talk to someone but I don't even know what to say

Sorry I don't know what board to post this in, I can't find a casual or personal board
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I'm a complete f***ing idiot. I drove to Dublin on the N4 overtaking people over the speed limit and speeding on open roads. I feel like ****, I can't believe I didn't think I might crash into someone and ruin their lives. I don't know what to do, I want to talk to someone but I don't even know what to say

Sorry I don't know what board to post this in, I can't find a casual or personal board

Talk to a priest
    Or the motors Forum if you want to get annihilated

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Someone you trust would be a good start. Just tell them all of this. You could also consider a course to reset your driving. Maybe something like this?

https://www.advanced-driving.ie/

I would second the motoring forum BTW to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stupididiot

I'm not religious, I don't suddenly believe in god becuase i did something ****ed up and I don't think a priest would appreciate me trying to get "forgiveness" or anything. Should I go to the garda station? Confess and get whatever penalty points and lose my license, whatever the punishment is. Is that a bad idea? Should I just wait for them to come and arrest me for speeding instead?

Sorry Athlone573, I didn't mean to just rudely dismiss the suggestion. Thank you for the help

is_that_so I think i need that. Is it a pure diriving skills thing?

Thanks Hello_2D_Person_Below, I will try there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

It works even if you don't believe in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There were children giggling in the background the day I had to knock on a woman’s door and tell her that her husband had been killed by a speeding driver.

Slow down. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sorry Athlone573, I didn't mean to just rudely dismiss the suggestion. Thank you for the help

is_that_so I think i need that. Is it a pure diriving skills thing?

Thanks Hello_2D_Person_Below, I will try there too
    It was actually just a suggestion from me but one would expect a course like that to make you evaluate your current driving and what you can improve. I'm not saying it's necessarily the right choice for you but it might be an option to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭toffeeshel

You didn’t crash into anything. We all carry guilt about things that we have done that could have had awful consequences. You need to learn from how you feel now, and move on. Set the speed limiter on your car ( if it has one) or cruise control at under the speed limit. You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

After hours is the place to be.....

From a legal stance you are all good unless you were caught speeding by fatso, gun and they didn't chase you or if you were really bad then reported to traffic watch..... Then say bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

What kind of speeds are we talking here, just out of interest?

Speedline wrote: »
    What kind of speeds are we talking here, just out of interest?

3 fiddy

athlone573 I guess I don't really have anyone else to talk to. Thanks

Shield are you a guard?

is_that_so maybe learning that I might be pretty capable at certain things to do with driving isn't the best idea, thanks for the suggestion anyway I'll have to think about it

toffeeshel I don't know, I didn't crash but I endangered people for absolutely no reason. Speed limiter and stuff is good for the future but I feel like I need something to address this specific thing. I know I can just feel bad about it but that doesn't help any of the people who had to hope I didn't lose control or hit a pothole while I was alongside them. I know that me doing "driver training" like what was suggested doesn't help them either but at least the offender (me) isn't just free to continue as though nothing happened?

punisher5112 say bye? And does Ireland not have static speed cameras? Even if there aren't any I don't feel like "I got away with it" is how I should feel about this

Speedline probably 10-20 for most of it but I went to 30 on one stretch when I felt it was "safe" (which is completely stupid I know, how would I even know what is "safe?")

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

You are aware you were acting recklessly so that's 90% of the problem solved. Just be more mindful.

Does a falling tree make a sound in a Forrest if there is nobody to hear it

Banned off the road no other way about it

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭derb12

I think you should talk to someone about how you’re feeling and what impulse made you drive like that. It sounds like there’s more going on than a one off reckless drive. Do you have a trusted family member or friend that you could reach out to? Or a counsellor of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That's 120kmph motorway the whole way...what speeds did you get to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

new reg and same style as previous trolling posts.

don't feed trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

For a start I'd park the car up. Alot of people speed at times either due to a situation or just being an asshole. If you fall into the asshole category make sure you don't do it again as you never know when someone will be on the receiving end.

I wouldn't berate youself too much. Just ensure you deal with whatever made you do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Probably the vaccine that made you do it, would you have been travelling at 5g speeds?

Next time focus on speeding pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

This is a mental thread, there's not a driver out there that hasn't drove at least one time in there life 20% over the limit.
    I think you need help for even thinking going into a garda station and telling them you drove over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    That's 120kmph motorway the whole way...what speeds did you get to

OP typed N4, (which could be a typo )It is not the Motorway, it's the " old road" into Dublin travelling from the West and is 100kph max limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Judging by the sincerity of the OP, I'd say he reached speeds of 2 or 3,000 km/h.

The inhumanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Sell the car, walk barefoot or in sandals if the weather is particularly bad preaching about the perils of speeding to all who will listen while relying on the kindness of strangers for shelter and sustenance. That'll go along way to righting your wrongs.

Advertisement