Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

long distance cycle and tyre choice

• 26-05-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

considering doing the wild mayo ultra 300k , a lot of it is on roads i know fairly well, just to get through that kind of distance will be the challenge

im curious whether it would be worth putting wider tyres on for it , i have 2 options put some 28s on the road bike, or i have a cross bike thatl take pretty much any size tyre i want , speed is not neccesarily an issue , im not worried about how long it takes, but if wider tyres help me keep going / delay fatigue then they would be worth the investment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

woody1 wrote: »
    .. i have 2 options put some 28s on the road bike, or i have a cross bike thatl take pretty much any size tyre i want , speed is not neccesarily an issue ....
    What width are you currently running? If 25's, you'd probably be fine.

Will a cross bike be suitable for a 300? I didn't think they were designed for long on-road rides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you can get the anywhere still, Vittoria voyager hyper tyres are both wonderfully comfortable and super fast rolling.

Not the best in the wet now, and puncture protection isn't wonderful either, but that's more in a glass strewn city centre I find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Currently running 32c Gravel king slicks for road and light off road and find them very good. When I was regularly doing longer spins (150k+) I had 25c Durano plus on the road bike and moved to 32c Marathon Supremes on the CX bike which were a bit slower but much more comfortable. Way less road buzz coming through to the hands and ass. Thicker bar tap with a few strategically placed pads also helps on crappier roads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Will a cross bike be suitable for a 300? I didn't think they were designed for long on-road rides.

I've done the WW200 and a number of other long days on the CX bike and had no issues. Bit heavier and slightly higher BB but not far off an endurance / relaxed road bike on my setup (compact gears + 11-34 cassette). Many CX bikes would have a narrower gear range which could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

smacl wrote: »
    I've done the WW200 and a number of other long days on the CX bike and had no issues. Bit heavier and slightly higher BB but not far off an endurance / relaxed road bike on my setup (compact gears + 11-34 cassette). Many CX bikes would have a narrower gear range which could be a problem.

i have a focus mares al cross / commuter . i call it a cross bike as thats what i use it for but in reality its too heavy for cross, more a gravel bike, heavier than the road bike but i did 80k down the greenway to achill and back on it , with about 30k on the road , with the cyclocross tyres on and it was one of the most comfortable rides ive ever done ,

• Advertisement

What width are you currently running? If 25's, you'd probably be fine.

yeah 25s

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

considering doing the wild mayo ultra 300k , a lot of it is on roads i know fairly well, just to get through that kind of distance will be the challenge

im curious whether it would be worth putting wider tyres on for it , i have 2 options put some 28s on the road bike, or i have a cross bike thatl take pretty much any size tyre i want , speed is not neccesarily an issue , im not worried about how long it takes, but if wider tyres help me keep going / delay fatigue then they would be worth the investment

Wider is better, but also depends on which bike you are used to. Dont overthink it, its only 1 day, even if its very long!

You also may want to consider the tradeoff between speed and puncture protection. You dont want to use a tyre that is designed for racing, or one with the best puncture protection - these are designed for commuting (e.g. Marathons).

A very popular tyre in audax is the Continental 4 seasons. Lasts longer and more puncture resistant, but a bit slower than the gp4000 / gp5000. Over a long event, its a good compromise. Someone else mentioned Gravel king slicks, which are another popular tyre in endurance cycling, but havent used them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

I have ridden in Mayo. You will encounter a lot of old pavement. The mixture will not be so coarse. Places like Derry are the worse.

I would recommend 25 or possible 28.

I would feel very comfortable with GP5000TL. Especially since I have better luck within them in the wet. I would avoid the Gravelking; this is a very slow tire. It's faster than other gravel tires not road tires. I find that it more probable to cut on glass in the roadway. My last ride in Mayo was on the GP4000.

Some of the tires mentioned really serve no better for sidewall protection. All tires are weak in the sidewalls. Some will offer a bit more. Sidewall failure is more probably than tread puncture. In the last 50000 miles I only had two sidewall failures.

Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

mh_cork wrote: »
    Wider is better, but also depends on which bike you are used to. Dont overthink it, its only 1 day, even if its very long!

You also may want to consider the tradeoff between speed and puncture protection. You dont want to use a tyre that is designed for racing, or one with the best puncture protection - these are designed for commuting (e.g. Marathons).

A very popular tyre in audax is the Continental 4 seasons. Lasts longer and more puncture resistant, but a bit slower than the gp4000 / gp5000. Over a long event, its a good compromise. Someone else mentioned Gravel king slicks, which are another popular tyre in endurance cycling, but havent used them myself.

I currently have conti 4 seasons after having Gp 5000s. 4 seasons I find are just as fast as the 5000s yet they offer far better puncture protection. 5000s are more for racing and smoother roads. They are a pig to get off and on too.

I'd go 32, I just done a quick run there this morning of 60klm on 4 season 32s from tallaght to Hollywood and back. The roads were awful, mucky, debris etc yet the 4 seasons managed it all and not one puncture. I ride a defy advanced 2 2020.

n1ey wrote: »
    I have ridden in Mayo. You will encounter a lot of old pavement. The mixture will not be so coarse. Places like Derry are the worse.

I would recommend 25 or possible 28.

I would feel very comfortable with GP5000TL. Especially since I have better luck within them in the wet. I would avoid the Gravelking; this is a very slow tire. It's faster than other gravel tires not road tires. I find that it more probable to cut on glass in the roadway. My last ride in Mayo was on the GP4000.

Some of the tires mentioned really serve no better for sidewall protection. All tires are weak in the sidewalls. Some will offer a bit more. Sidewall failure is more probably than tread puncture. In the last 50000 miles I only had two sidewall failures.

Bill

cheers. i live in north mayo, ive ridden most of the roads on the route barring about 50k but ive been in it in a car so i know its fine, generally on gp4000s and dont puncture that often , actually for the past month been bashing around on a tyre that was on a turbo all winter and still no punctures, although il probably get one next week now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

cheers. i live in north mayo, ive ridden most of the roads on the route barring about 50k but ive been in it in a car so i know its fine, generally on gp4000s and dont puncture that often , actually for the past month been bashing around on a tyre that was on a turbo all winter and still no punctures, although il probably get one next week now

I’m living in north Mayo as well. I do all my miles on Mayo roads and use 25mm Conti GP4000s all year round without issue. But I’m nearly through my last pair so will be switching soon to GP5000s.

I wouldn’t be making too many changes to your current setup as long as it’s reliable and relatively comfortable. I’d opt for the road bike before anything else...

Advertisement