Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid ignorance.

Options
  • 30-05-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

Why is it that so many people don't know basic things like the fact you can still get covid after vaccination? and have never heard of long covid?

The amount of people I have met who don't know about these things is astonishing.

The vaccinators should tell everyone they give the vaccination that they can still catch and pass on covid.

"long covid, what is that?"

Long covid tv adverts, social media adverts, billboards etc should be highlighted in a big way, especially to young people. You don't want to get it and have to deal with chronic fatigue for the rest of your life or other complications.

why aren't the Government highlighting these issues? like are they not important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Most healthy people under 40 need a test to know they have it & the vulnerable are vaccinated

The government seriously need to consider a campaign to help people like yourself get confidence back to resume their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most healthy people under 40 need a test to know they have it & the vulnerable are vaccinated

The government seriously need to consider a campaign to help people like yourself get confidence back to resume their lives

People think the pandemic is over but it isn't. Don't be surprised if we are locked down again in the future.

Im an essential worker so have been out an about more than a lot of people the last 9 months, im not hiding away for your information.

The travel bans didn't effect me, I have been all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Burn out.

People don't have the capacity to remain at a high level of terror indefinitely.

Burn out.

People don't have the capacity to remain at a high level of terror indefinitely.

Terror? in fairness what I am saying isn't a major thing to implement, people should be made aware of these things. I really hope people just have a bit of cop on and don't get infected, who knows what the long term effects will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Time for those too comfortable on pup payments to have it slashed instantly to snap them back to normal and none of the “new normal “ bs

• Advertisement

Time for those too comfortable on pup payments to have it slashed instantly to snap them back to normal and none of the “new normal “ bs

what has the pup payment got to do with this thread?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are been a long and concerted effort to make and keep people frightened. But that only works for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

pgj2015 wrote: »
    People think the pandemic is over but it isn't. Don't be surprised if we are locked down again in the future.

Im an essential worker so have been out an about more than a lot of people the last 9 months, im not hiding away for your information.

The travel bans didn't effect me, I have been all over the country.

You’ve not suffered the same suppression as others as you were able to travel about and the associated freedom that allowed you. I wonder would you feel the same if you had to WFH for 15 months?

People have become desensitised to to Covid, surely it’s a basic survival mechanism in the species to not fear something that’s not a risk to those of the age of having kids etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

... & the vulnerable are vaccinated

Many pregnant women are still waiting for their vaccine, which has been delayed because of the ransomware attack. These women are justifiably concerned about the risk of covid related placentitis and stillbirths. I too am looking forward to "resuming my life" but I'd also rather my unborn child isn't a statistic, hence I will avoid people who are acting the maggot until I get my vaccine (hopefully next week).

You’ve not suffered the same suppression as others as you were able to travel about and the associated freedom that allowed you. I wonder would you feel the same if you had to WFH for 15 months?

People have become desensitised to to Covid, surely it’s a basic survival mechanism in the species to not fear something that’s not a risk to those of the age of having kids etc?

No one wants to have lockdowns, not you, not I or not the government. But they were needed sometimes we just have to do what is right for the general good of the country.

If I had to work from home, I would but I didn't have to. I was off for 4 months in 2020 due to covid, I enjoyed that to be honest but would prefer to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Perhaps the government need ANOTHER campaign to explain

That only 50% have had 1 shot and that less than 20% are fully vaccinated.
    That allowing the virus to spread in the community, even asymptomaticaly risks mutations.
    That long covid affects your people. The "vulnerable" due.
    That all the advice is to continue with precautions.
    That vaccination is not a silver bullet.

All the stuff they have been saying for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Long covid is post-viral syndrome. You can get it from influenza or scarlet fever as well. Two people I know have had post-viral syndrome for years (one has chronic fatigue) and there is a well known computer programmer who suffers ongoing illness from it after an influenza bout in 2005 (Michael Church, who used to work at Google).

No reason to believe - and no evidence presented - that instances of post-viral syndrome have increased in number or severity over and above a moderately bad flu year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Midland fisherman

Burn out.

Hold firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Terror? in fairness what I am saying isn't a major thing to implement, people should be made aware of these things. I really hope people just have a bit of cop on and don't get infected, who knows what the long term effects will be.

No one knows. Didn't stop you from posting this though -
    You don't want to get it and have to deal with chronic fatigue for the rest of your life

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    No one knows. Didn't stop you from posting this though -

Well we know long covid exists though, don't we?

The lady who was crying on the radio lately didnt sound like she was having much fun with long covid.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Many pregnant women are still waiting for their vaccine, which has been delayed because of the ransomware attack. These women are justifiably concerned about the risk of covid related placentitis and stillbirths. I too am looking forward to "resuming my life" but I'd also rather my unborn child isn't a statistic, hence I will avoid people who are acting the maggot until I get my vaccine (hopefully next week).

What risk?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Well we know long covid exists though, don't we?

The lady who was crying on the radio lately didnt sound like she was having much fun with long covid.

No one knows if it's permanent or not.

What risk?

The risk that it can cause placentitis which can lead to stillbirth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

What risk?

Several stillbirths were written down as covid deaths a few months ago. We're supposed to believe a third of all covid placentitis cases in the world occured in Ireland which is an absolute statistical miracle or it could be NPHET telling the usual scary story

No one knows if it's permanent or not.

Even if it isn't, would you want to get covid today and be chronically fatigued this time next year from having contracted covid? no, so people should be told about it.

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    Several stillbirths were written down as covid deaths a few months ago. We're supposed to believe a third of all covid placentitis cases in the world occured in Ireland which is an absolute statistical miracle or it could be NPHET telling the usual scary story

There have been 11. Are you suggesting these were made up? I'm sure the grieving mothers will be delighted to find out that their babies are still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why is it that so many people don't know basic things like the fact you can still get covid after vaccination? and have never heard of long covid?

The amount of people I have met who don't know about these things is astonishing.

The vaccinators should tell everyone they give the vaccination that they can still catch and pass on covid.

"long covid, what is that?"

Long covid tv adverts, social media adverts, billboards etc should be highlighted in a big way, especially to young people. You don't want to get it and have to deal with chronic fatigue for the rest of your life or other complications.

why aren't the Government highlighting these issues? like are they not important?

The rest of your life?? Ah here the disease has been around for barely 18 months

There have been 11. Are you suggesting these were made up? I'm sure the grieving mothers will be delighted to find out that their babies are still alive.

Spare me the play on emotions, you're the one using dead children to whip up hysteria along with nphet, not me. Do you believe that by some statistical anomaly that we had a third of all worldwide cases of this incredibly rare phenomenon?

Spare me the play on emotions, you're the one using dead children to whip up hysteria along with nphet, not me. Do you believe that by some statistical anomaly that we had a third of all worldwide cases of this incredibly rare phenomenon?

Whip up hysteria? Because I said I'd be avoiding people acting the maggot until I have my vaccine? There's only one of us resorting to hysteria now and it isn't me :D
    Do you always react with such hostility to other people deciding what their personal risk tolerance is? Do you not realise that we each have the right to decide for ourselves where we draw a line?

Whether the statistics given are right or wrong, I don't want my baby to become one of them, so why would I take a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Likely the same reason people drink, smoke, eat fastfood etc... They are willing to trade off some life expectancy and health concerns for enjoyment.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Likely the same reason people drink, smoke, eat fastfood etc... They are willing to trade off some life expectancy and health concerns for enjoyment.

As is their prerogative.

Whip up hysteria? Because I said I'd be avoiding people acting the maggot until I have my vaccine? There's only one of us resorting to hysteria now and it isn't me :D
    Do you always react with such hostility to other people deciding what their personal risk tolerance is? Do you not realise that we each have the right to decide for ourselves where we draw a line?

Whether the statistics given are right or wrong, I don't want my baby to become one of them, so why would I take a risk?

You're the one who's hysterical not me, Ive posted in a calm and reasonable fashion while youve gone the full Helen Lovejoy and pulled out the grieving mother's card. Please don't bother responding to me at least until you've taken a deep breath and are able to respond to what I'm actually saying rather than what you imagine I've said.

Please don't bother responding to me.

Ah, that one :)

You really seem to have issues with other people deciding their own risk tolerance. You should probably work on that..live and let live and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The next 2 weeks are critical x 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

As is their prerogative.

100%... nobody is perfect, and people should be allowed to do so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement