Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Big Green Eggs are made in Mexico, as far as I know.

When it comes to anything made in China these days, there is such a spectrum in terms of what the quality may be like. There are Chinese factories who can make extremely high end precision products, that's been going on for the last 15+ years. But you also still have all the low end manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

awec wrote: »
    I have a Luna and I'm delighted with it, also couldn't justify the cost of a Joe.

I believe that all the brands are manufactured in China. At a guess I'd say the quality of the hinge mechanism and the top vent may be better in the Joe, but the other brands are still good.

I think the newer Joes have a new type of top vent that stops rain getting in? I would guess that Bono / Luna will eventually offer this too.

was slow cooking a shoulder for 15 hours and it was raining a little, water didn't seem te get in much. Having said this, something to avoid it it would be nice. Not 1000 euro nice, though. I was afraid of the hinge, but the lid weight on my bono is handled very well by the few strings

was slow cooking a shoulder for 15 hours and it was raining a little, water didn't seem te get in much. Having said this, something to avoid it it would be nice. Not 1000 euro nice, though. I was afraid of the hinge, but the lid weight on my bono is handled very well by the few strings

It might be worth checking if any of the Smokeware chimney caps fit. They work with BGE, Kamado Joe and I've seen them indicating they will fit other brands too...

https://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

I have cooked steaks (cote de boeuf, tomahawk, rib eye, bavette...), baby back ribs, spare ribs, pork belly, pork shoulder (pulled pork), burgers, chicken wings, sea breams, scallops, vegetables (cauliflower, asparagus, peppers...) even a pork’s head last week! All was very, very good, especially compared to my previous gas grill.

YUM Can I come to dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

My Kamado Bono was delivered from Higgins yesterday. Looking forward to getting it set up and cooking!

• Advertisement

hargo wrote: »
    YUM Can I come to dinner?

Bring some meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

tropics001 wrote: »
    My Kamado Bono was delivered from Higgins yesterday. Looking forward to getting it set up and cooking!

What size did you get?

Lamb is back on the menu. Winner, winner, f*ck off chicken

What size did you get?

grande.

Lamb is back on the menu. Winner, winner, f*ck off chicken

lovely. whats in the side salad, blue cheese or something?

• Advertisement

I see Also are doing the picnic kamado on the 10/6. Pity its not the same offering as the UK site selling which was selling the equivalent to the Bono Media for £350!!!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did baby backs at the weekend, they were nice. Wish spare ribs were easier to find here though, there's not a load of eating in the back ribs. :(

Personally I think ribs are over rated here for the amount of eating on them. As an alternative what I do is the whole belly of pork slow cooked in the oven in a bath of cider (Gordan Ramsey has a u tube video). Lovely on the day but if you let it go cold and firm up, you can cut it up the next day into nice thick slices and heat it them up on the bbq. I marinade the slices in a spicy mix i make myself. The effect is really soft tender pork on the inside with the the smokey searing of the BBQ on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

That sounds delicious. But Jesus I love ribs too.

Did baby backs at the weekend, they were nice. Wish spare ribs were easier to find here though, there's not a load of eating in the back ribs. :(

Higgins have provided me with good quality spare ribs

hargo wrote: »
    Personally I think ribs are over rated here for the amount of eating on them. As an alternative what I do is the whole belly of pork slow cooked in the oven in a bath of cider (Gordan Ramsey has a u tube video). Lovely on the day but if you let it go cold and firm up, you can cut it up the next day into nice thick slices and heat it them up on the bbq. I marinade the slices in a spicy mix i make myself. The effect is really soft tender pork on the inside with the the smokey searing of the BBQ on the outside.

May try this on my kamado instead of the oven. I shall call them DBB (double barbecued belly)

Higgins have provided me with good quality spare ribs

How did you order them? I can't find them on their site.

Been doing quite a bit of grilling on the BGE lately, what with the weather and all.

Ordered Aimsir Garden for the weekend, should be interesting. It's based around a 38 euro box which you then put add-ons with. All of the meats are suitable for grilling / BBQ, that's the concept.

Looking forward to the pork jowl, rare breed sausage and the stuffed flatbreads, sounds amazing.

https://www.aimsirathome.ie/pages/menu

Aimsir is a two star michelin restaurant. The head chef was over a three star kitchen in Oslo previously. Ate there last year and although it goes without saying it's extremely expensive, it is an unparalleled tour of Irish produce. They bend over backwards to only use Irish ingredients, you won't find things like exotic fruits on the menus, they'll try to find locally grown or foraged ingredients to create a similar flavour profile.

How did you order them? I can't find them on their site.

You place an order and on checkout there’s a space for special orders. You fill in that little square with what you want and they’ll call you to confirm and for payment. I order two ribs the last time and asked for 2 spare rib slabs cut st Louis style on the notes section. They’re 16/kg, but very meaty. The slabs were about 1.5 kg each and packed with meat.

You place an order and on checkout there’s a space for special orders. You fill in that little square with what you want and they’ll call you to confirm and for payment. I order two ribs the last time and asked for 2 spare rib slabs cut st Louis style on the notes section. They’re 16/kg, but very meaty. The slabs were about 1.5 kg each and packed with meat.

St Louis style is exactly what I'm after. 16/kg is the price, so 24quid for a 1.5kg?

I'd say 1 slab would be enough for a meal. Spares are a lot meatier than backs.

• Advertisement

St Louis style is exactly what I'm after. 16/kg is the price, so 24quid for a 1.5kg?

I'd say 1 slab would be enough for a meal. Spares are a lot meatier than backs.

1 slab was enough last sunday for 3 people, granted that we had other starters, but there as a good bit left. I'd say minimum 2 peole per slab

I ordered a kamado bono some time ago and was told it would be mid may. Recently I’ve seen a spate of people say they’ve received one.. so I’m starting to think mine was missed. I’ve also heard the next shipment is not due til August! Anyone else waiting on one? Dealer doesn’t really matter as it seems to be the same guy that imports them and distributes.

who did you order from? i ordered from higgins may 6th and was delivered last week. they did say when this delivery sold out they did not know when the next one would be.

Finally got my kamado bono limited! Super excited to use it!

Any suggestions for things to try that can be done in 3-4 hours? Other than ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Any suggestions for things to try that can be done in 3-4 hours? Other than ribs.

Beer-can chicken is a handy one.

I also made some lovely cornbread muffins (sweetcorn, sautéed onions, grated cheddar, flour, polenta and buttermilk) which cooked in about 45m-1hr.

Chicken wings also handy for a short cook — smoke them for an hour then sauce them and finish over direct heat.

Beer can chicken, spatchcock chicken, paella, reverse sear steaks, jambalaya. Or the classic, saussies and burgers that no matter how fancy you get, can never be beat!!

Picked up a pork tenderloin, will report back on it!

Gonna smoke it with some rub and bbq sauce.

Tenderloin works very well.

• Advertisement

Tenderloin works very well.

Any pics? Malcom Reed on youtube has a decent video on them.

Advertisement