Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT for 2018 car?

• 29-05-2021 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend is selling their 2018 car that was registered in January 2018, therefore not due an NCT until January 2022.

However, for peace of mind for the new owner, she would like to have it NCT'd now, even if new owner will have to NCT it again in January 2022.

She knows that she can present it early for NCT 3 months however she is able to book an appointment this Monday and wondering what cert or report will be given if she goes ahead with the NCT booking?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭con747

Never heard of this before but there is a 4 month extension to Nct's due to covid as far as I know so the car should not be due until May 2022 if the extension still stands.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

con747 wrote: »
    Never heard of this before but there is a 4 month extension to Nct's due to covid as far as I know so the car should not be due until May 2022 if the extension still stands.

Why on earth would there still be a 4 month extension to a NCT in January 2022 because of Covid? That extension has ended!

I read on an old post that you can present a car for it's first NCT and if passes it'll get 30 months. Every other car it's 3 months early.

Anyone know if the above is right and with links to prove?

Why on earth would there still be a 4 month extension to a NCT in January 2022 because of Covid? That extension has ended!

I read on an old post that you can present a car for it's first NCT and if passes it'll get 30 months. Every other car it's 3 months early.

Anyone know if the above is right and with links to prove?

Ok, so I won't be bringing my car in for it's test in July with the extension. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :rolleyes:

con747 wrote: »
    Ok, so I won't be bringing my car in for it's test in July with the extension. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :rolleyes:

Okay because RSA set out the 4 month extension is for cars with NCT expiry dates from 20th March to 15th October 2020 Only!

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Vehicle-Owners-Reminded-of-4-Month-Test-Extension-and-16-NCT-Test-Centres-re-opening-on-Monday-29-June/

Any help with my issue? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi,

A friend is selling their 2018 car that was registered in January 2018, therefore not due an NCT until January 2022.

However, for peace of mind for the new owner, she would like to have it NCT'd now, even if new owner will have to NCT it again in January 2022.

She knows that she can present it early for NCT 3 months however she is able to book an appointment this Monday and wondering what cert or report will be given if she goes ahead with the NCT booking?

Thanks in advance!

She will get a cert valid for 2 years from the pass date if it is more than 90 days before being due, voluntary early testing. So the next owner will be tied into a July renewal.

Personality I wouldn't bother doing the NCT early for a 2018 car I was going to sell. It won't make it any easier to sell and could be a red flag to some, why would someone NCT a car when not due?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see how putting it through the NCT early would raise a red flag. A fresh NCT would give a potential buyer a bit more confidence even on a 3 year old car. If there were something wrong with it then surely not putting it through the NCT would be more likely than actually testing it? I don't see the harm with either.

BTW my car is 2017 and due it's first NCT next month, I tried to book it early within the 90 days before it's due date but the system told me that if I did that the cert would be 2 years from the date of passing the test rather than 90 days plus the 2 years from first registration. I found that odd given I have tested my cars during the 90 day early period previously but thought maybe they changed the rule due to backlogs as a result of Covid. I got a reminder letter from them a few weeks back and now I can book but if course the earliest date on the site is mid July. My car is due it's service next month anyway so I'll keep tabs on July dates as they turn up.

Okay because RSA set out the 4 month extension is for cars with NCT expiry dates from 20th March to 15th October 2020 Only!

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Vehicle-Owners-Reminded-of-4-Month-Test-Extension-and-16-NCT-Test-Centres-re-opening-on-Monday-29-June/

Any help with my issue? TIA

Somebody likes being dramatic. Goodbye. !!!!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot see how putting it through the NCT early would raise a red flag. A fresh NCT would give a potential buyer a bit more confidence even on a 3 year old car. If there were something wrong with it then surely not putting it through the NCT would be more likely than actually testing it? I don't see the harm with either.

BTW my car is 2017 and due it's first NCT next month, I tried to book it early within the 90 days before it's due date but the system told me that if I did that the cert would be 2 years from the date of passing the test rather than 90 days plus the 2 years from first registration. I found that odd given I have tested my cars during the 90 day early period previously but thought maybe they changed the rule due to backlogs as a result of Covid. I got a reminder letter from them a few weeks back and now I can book but if course the earliest date on the site is mid July. My car is due it's service next month anyway so I'll keep tabs on July dates as they turn up.

Yeah, I'd be the same mindset, a recent NCT can't be a bad thing for the new owner.

Is there any truth what I read on an old post that you can present a car for it's first NCT and if passes it'll get 30 months. Every other car it's 3 months early??

Advertisement