Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying from the UK

• 25-05-2021 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone give me the definitive breakdown of what tax/import duties I’d have to pay for something bought from the UK? I’ve been searching online but I can’t seem to get the definitive answer. Lots of “you may this” or “you might be liable for that”. It’s all very frustrating.

I know I won’t pay UK VAT but I’ll have to pay Irish VAT which is fine, but I just want to know what I’m liable for. Item is way over £500stg and it’s made in the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

You will be liable for 23% vat and 2.5% duty on both the cost of the guitar and shipping. The courier might also add a €10/€15 handling charge.

So if the guitar cost £500 exactly including shipping, you would be looking at paying an extra €150 / €160 at the door, maybe a little more. What I normally do is just set aside 30% of the total cost of the guitar and that will be more than enough to cover all the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

3wayswitch wrote: »
    You will be liable for 23% vat and 2.5% duty on both the cost of the guitar and shipping. The courier might also add a €10/€15 handling charge.

So if the guitar cost £500 exactly including shipping, you would be looking at paying an extra €150 / €160 at the door, maybe a little more. What I normally do is just set aside 30% of the total cost of the guitar and that will be more than enough to cover all the charges.

Thanks for that. It’s a bit annoying that there’s no exact calculation that tells you exactly what you’ll be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sorry, just to add. Is the duty calculated before or after VAT us added? Or is it added as a separate charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sorry, just to add. Is the duty calculated before or after VAT us added? Or is it added as a separate charge?

VAT is calculated after the duty is added.

It can be a bit of a frustrating process trying to figure out the exact amount you will owe ahead of time. Some couriers like An Post charge a fixed processing fee (€10 I believe), whereas other couriers can charge up to 2.5% of the item cost as their processing fee.

At least some couriers will now make contact before delivery is attempted to pay the duty and VAT charges online which makes the process a bit less painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

This is a bit of a headache for me also as I'm looking to buy a Rickenbacker 4003 and the specific colour I'm looking for is out of stock in all of the European stores I can find, but some UK stores have it. For that amount I'm not really willing to risk buying from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

Just said I would share my experience as I recently bought from UK. Ordered Tuesday evening and paid net of VAT amount. Email Thurs morning from DPD who were the courier to pay Duty and VAT (plus handling fee of €5+VAT). Got delivery next day.

It was actually alot less painful than I was expecting.

Advertisement