Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€25-30k for 2-4 year old premium diesel family car

• 17-05-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Any thoughts on what cars to look at for a spacious family car (and commuter), but not an estate. Up to 30k to spend and am looking for a diesel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

kifi wrote: »
    Any thoughts on what cars to look at for a spacious family car (and commuter), but not an estate. Up to 30k to spend and am looking for a diesel

Audi a6, bmw 5, Mercedes e class, Skoda superb, vw passat, ford mondeo, Volvo s60.....should be able to get a 17 in any of them for 30k. Might sneak into an 18, just.
    Up to a 19 maybe for the passat, superb, mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not sure any premium brands like the E Class/A6 or 5 Series are really spacious family cars unless you consider the estate versions. Yes they are big, comfy and built for eating miles but they are not the most family friendly cars. Something like a Skoda Superb would definitely trump all of them when to comes to space and family practicality.

If you want to stick to premiums brands then your 30k will probably get you more E Class than 5 Series or A6.

Some examples:
    Low mileage though a bit drab E Class SE:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2830933

or a higher mileage sportier AMG Line:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2803274

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go to Donedeal, add in your requirements like so https://www.donedeal.ie/cars?fuelType=Diesel&price_to=40000
    Look at the cars and see if there is anything you like.

If you find some you like go to youtube and check for reviews https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mercedes+cla+2019+review+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Audi a6, bmw 5, Mercedes e class, Skoda superb, vw passat, ford mondeo, Volvo s60.....should be able to get a 17 in any of them for 30k. Might sneak into an 18, just.
    Up to a 19 maybe for the passat, superb, mondeo.

S60 is fairly tight but I would go with a S90 all day long. I’ve a V90 and its v spacious - back seat is designed for three with ample shoulder and legroom. Pro pilot is standard unlike any of the competition and if you drive motorways it’s really great. S90 boot is large and well shaped.

This ad has no photo and description is all wrong but the price is very good- I know somebody who paid 32k cash for a similar car recently

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volvo/s90/fpa/202105102443423?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Old codger

kifi wrote: »

After owning almost every make ever made including some lemons, we have owned a Peugeot 3008 1.6 litre diesel auto for two years now. It was one year old when we got it and we have clocked up 55,000 km since with no issues. It does about 54mpg and has five full seats with a huge area in the rear. It’s not a saloon but equally it’s not an estate with all the noise and parking issues that tend to be a problem for some. It gives a great view of your surroundings due to its higher than saloon car visibility. You should be able to pick up a one year old low mileage one within your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

If you are talking Premium then you need to look at
    Merc
    Audi
    BMW
    Lexus
    Volvo

All the the rest mentioned above are not premium
    Amazed anyone would ever stick a Ford or a Skoda into Premium.
    Even the Ford Vignale range I wouldn't put into premium bracket.

Edit I will change it, Volvo should be in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pretty sure Volvo S90 would be very hard to beat at that budget.

If spending that amount, you'd be mad not to head up North. People say you spend less money, but in practice you end up spending the same as you would down here, but get much more bang for your buck.

It's a bit of extra work, but well worth it in the end. I got an A6 s-Line ultra, Black edition about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I then got a Tucson SE Nav for the missus in 2019. Both worked out cheaper than the bog standard editions on sale down here. For the A6, he even drove it down for me to Dublin and I dropped him into Connolly to get the train back up North.

Jan 2018 Audi A6 2.0 TDI Ultra SE Executive S Tronic - 18,000 miles - €21k + another €5k VRT+Nox

That's a steal, really. The lowest priced one on Carzone with that kinda mileage is a 182-D for almost €40k

Your comparing the price of an old model A6 SE to a new model S Line there. There are also other factors such as discount on the Irish car and warranty. There will be a savings but just outlining it's not as dramatic as above.

Apologies, you're correct. I rushed the comparison as I was heading out to lunch, but the point still stands.

€25k up north/across the pond goes an awful lot further than the same amount round these parts.

• Advertisement

You have to pay import duty now on top of VRT and Nox if you buy across the pond.

Here is one down here asking 28k with an Audi warranty:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2719055

The savings are not as big as they used to be due to Brexit.

Is that a Brexit thing? Must say I hadn't heard of it. Is it the same story with Norn Iron now as well?

It's funny, but the link you've provided proves the point I was making earlier. That car is lower spec and has three times the mileage of the one I linked earlier, yet it's 25% more expensive (before the additional costs associated with importing). When spending that much money, 25% is an awful lot of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Yes, any vehicle imported into the island of Ireland (although they aren't enforcing it in NI....YET) is now liable for VAT and Import Duty before being VRTed as they are no longer in the customs union.

If the vehicle was in Ireland pre 2021 then only VRT is liable.

This has reduced the pool of viable cars massively and also increased the price of used cars in NI and the Republic.

$hifty wrote: »
    Is that a Brexit thing? Must say I hadn't heard of it. Is it the same story with Norn Iron now as well?

It's funny, but the link you've provided proves the point I was making earlier. That car is lower spec and has three times the mileage of the one I linked earlier, yet it's 25% more expensive (before the additional costs associated with importing). When spending that much money, 25% is an awful lot of cash.

Well Brexit has been what everyone has been talking about before Covid and additional import taxes were always part of that if buying something from the UK post Brexit.

Also I don't think the model I linked proves your point to be honest, both models look to have similar spec to me. And the one I linked to is average mileage for a 3 year old diesel car, there are higher mileage cheaper examples. I also don't see where the 25% more expensive is coming from, you said it's roughly 26k with VRT and Nox only which is only 2k less than the 28k asking price of the one from Audi Galway. The one in Galway will probably come with a main dealer warranty too. I think the price difference is alot smaller than you think to land that car here with the next additional taxes. The savings just aren't there anymore in alot of cases.

2k cheaper
    70,000 fewer kilometres
    Better spec (SE vs SE EXECUTIVE)
    No idea why you'd assume one has a main dealer warranty and the other doesn't

I mean, there's not one quality that's better on the Galway one, bar not having to import it.

I give up, I'm out.

Advertisement