Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How often should you replace your wedges?

• 27-05-2021 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm playing with 52 and 60 Cleveland trx wedges that I won as a prize around 4 years ago. I find now that the ball feels alot duller coming off the face and the ball doesn't launch as high.

Should I think about changing these out or is there more of an underlying problem that needs looked at? I've a 56 degree that matches my irons and it feels alot sharper and more accurate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I'm playing with 52 and 60 Cleveland trx wedges that I won as a prize around 4 years ago. I find now that the ball feels alot duller coming off the face and the ball doesn't launch as high.

Should I think about changing these out or is there more of an underlying problem that needs looked at? I've a 56 degree that matches my irons and it feels alot sharper and more accurate

After 75 rounds the wedges start giving less spin and control, for some it's a few months, for others it's a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

A new wedge will actually launch lower but bite a bit better.

Think of it if the ball and club are wet, the ball tends to pop up due to lack of spin.

A new wedge will give you more spin at least for a time and shiny things are always nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

As Dan says, new wedges tend to fly lower, not higher. How often you should replace depend on how much you play, and your ability to some extent...how important is it for you to be able to spin the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Always remember Harrington doing one of the Q&As at the British Masters when it was at its pomp 3/4 years ago.

A child asked him how often he changed his wedges and he said weekly.

It really does nail home how different the game is for the pros. When you take into account the time they take over putts compared to the average punter and the brand new wedges every week etc that's probably a shot or two off your handicap right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

callaway92 wrote: »
    Always remember Harrington doing one of the Q&As at the British Masters when it was at its pomp 3/4 years ago.

A child asked him how often he changed his wedges and he said weekly.

It really does nail home how different the game is for the pros. When you take into account the time they take over putts compared to the average punter and the brand new wedges every week etc that's probably a shot or two off your handicap right there.

Tour pros will use their irons for years if they can, and will only change when absolutely necessary. Drivers, Fairways, Hybrids, Wedges and putters can change on an almost weekly basis. Some of the TaylorMade truck videos on YouTube are fascinating. McIlroy used a new driver basically for the 4 days at Quail Hollow so that the driver would suit exactly how McIlroy saw the course set up. He did up a wish list and sent it to the truck and it was built for him while he was on the range outside. Last week Mickelson used a 6 degree Callaway driver with another half degree shaved off.

Those guys are playing a different game to the rest of the world, the level of detail of every single aspect of their equipment is unbelievable. Justin Thomas uses a 63.5 degree wedge and got an extra .2 shaved off it to make it at 63.3 degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

My pitching wedge, gap wedge and sand wedge came with my set. I've had them about 10 years. That must be what's wrong with my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You can sharpen the grooves. There are tools available to do the job. Never tried it, but I'd assume it would be of benefit to at least try it out. Especially if you're considering getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You can sharpen the grooves. There are tools available to do the job. Never tried it, but I'd assume it would be of benefit to at least try it out. Especially if you're considering getting rid of them.

Does this tool not make them non conforming though?

etxp wrote: »
    Does this tool not make them non conforming though?
    As I said, I haven't tried them. But I always thought that they would open the grooves back to (roughly) factory width where they've become nicked and dented through use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

prawnsambo wrote: »
    As I said, I haven't tried them. But I always thought that they would open the grooves back to (roughly) factory width where they've become nicked and dented through use.

From what I've read and heard anecdotally over the years, there seems to be a very good chance that you would make your wedges non-conforming with one of those tools. Equally you might not I suppose.
    Personally I wouldn't risk it, maybe I'd do up an old one for practice use but definitely wouldn't use it in competition.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    From what I've read and heard anecdotally over the years, there seems to be a very good chance that you would make your wedges non-conforming with one of those tools. Equally you might not I suppose.
    Personally I wouldn't risk it, maybe I'd do up an old one for practice use but definitely wouldn't use it in competition.
    Yeah. There's also the issue of the shape of the grooves which is different for irons under 25° to those over 25°. Also whether you'll do more harm than good and whether it's going to last for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Wedges aren't cheap. You are looking at €500 a pop to replace 3

Wedges aren't cheap. You are looking at €500 a pop to replace 3

yea they are silly expensive. I got my last set of 3 SM6's for 390 when they were out a year. was a good deal. But the base price of them has gone up now so doubt i would get such a deal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I change wedges like there is no tomorrow. Bought 3 Callaway Jaws wedges before Christmas which didn't like at all. Ended up getting SM8's this week which are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Wedges are very expensive when new and current models but i wouldn't rule out picking up used ones.....you can get lucky and pick up nice ones with not much use for around 100 quid and with a bit more use but with plenty of life in them for less again...i;ve SM5, 5 and 7 across 52 to 60 and picked all up from 50 to 100 and all were in great condition....i don't play nearly as much as i'd like so even with a bit of wear, there's still good life in them for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

Would you not get better spin from three €50 Wilson wedges than one €150 Vokey wedge over say 3 years?

As for Justin Thomas, 0.2 degrees over the length of a lob wedge at 35"/890mm is 3mm!! difference in hand position at the point of impact. The man needs more time with his sports psychiatrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

The new Wilson wedges look very good and get nice reviews.
    You'd pick them up for a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Played Wilson FG Tour PMP wedges for the last few seasons before changing to SM8's before Christmas. Picked up 50, 54 & 58 on Adverts for €75 for the 3. An absolute steal and a really nice wedge to play with. In fairness Wilson make quality irons too and usually an awful lot cheaper than your TM's and Titleist's. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

The attitude towards Wilson Staff products really does show the power of marketing. Our three time major champion P. Harrington uses Wilson Staff irons and wedges and to my knowledge used them for all the major victories, yet consumers (including in Ireland) turn their nose up at the product. Means other guys can win by picking up 3 wedges for €75 on Adverts I suppose! My irons and wedges are all Wilson Staff, they make great gear.

The attitude towards Wilson Staff products really does show the power of marketing. Our three time major champion P. Harrington uses Wilson Staff irons and wedges and to my knowledge used them for all the major victories, yet consumers (including in Ireland) turn their nose up at the product. Means other guys can win by picking up 3 wedges for €75 on Adverts I suppose! My irons and wedges are all Wilson Staff, they make great gear.

i listened to a podcast a while ago where they talked specifically about the fall of Wilson and its attempts to get back to relevance....when i was a kid playing in the 90s, Wilson were a big name and had many top golfers in their ranks. Montgomery was a big staff player for them before he moved across to Callaway, Daly and langer too i think....i remember lusting over the wilson ultra irons with firestick graphite shaft but went for ping in the end....also had a killer whale driver when there was big hysteria around it for its size and Daly using it....i picked up a wilson infinite putter in McGuirks for no other reason than it was a bargain at 58 euro and its actually a lovely putter and a bargain at twice the price.....didn't they release a new wedge recently similar to the TM hi-toe for reasonable money too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

I played the FG Tour irons last few seasons also - absolute top quality. Went to get fitted in October for new Wilsons and had them paid for and all only to get a call few days later to say they were gone out of production. New CB's came out in Jan/Feb but I got a set of Mizuno instead - haven't the patience to wait unfortunately. Kinda regret this a little and haven't ruled out trading in the Mizuno's for Wilson's, just a bit too early in the season yet for that decision.

Wilson are still the winning most manufacturer of major titles. Obviously a lot of that was in the 80s/90s etc - think Faldo was Wilson also. Harrington and Gary Woodland would be their main players these days - both major winners. Kevin Streelman too - played great at the PGA. My ultimate view is if they're good enough for these guys to win majors then they're good enough for me. Also helps when they are very reasonable even when custom fitted compared to the more popular brands. Any lads I know who are going for a fitting I encourage them to try the Wilson options - predictably enough they don't and get TM's etc for €300 more expensive. They're the ones missing out.

I think Gary woodland used them too for his major victory.

Quality wise their irons are as good as any. For less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

The Wilson wedges aren't that cheap - 125 EUR. About 25 cheaper than the others except the vokeys which are more again

OEP wrote: »
    The Wilson wedges aren't that cheap - 125 EUR. About 25 cheaper than the others except the vokeys which are more again

Yea that is a good deal, and 2 for 220 on McGuirks. But for me they don't have the same choices that you get with the vokeys. The different choice in bounce/grinds is a must for me. I like to have options around the green, open and closing the face and the different grinds really help that.

But the Wilsons are great value for someone that doesn't get into that side of things

OEP wrote: »

They're not the budget option, they're just a little cheaper than the other top brands. I think their new irons are about a grand. Which is certainly not cheap. But I'm pretty sure it's cheaper that top of the range taylormade or callaways with no compromise or quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Russman wrote: »

Ffs it isn’t the PGA Tour you’re on pal. Sharpened grooves on a wedge won’t make you shoot 65 on a Sunday morning. I’ve seen lads play all sorts of mad clubs and balls in comps over the years. As long as there’s not a motor attached to the ball and lads aren’t taking the piss then nothing will ever be said. It’s sharpened grooves, technically it could be outside the rules but a round neck tshirt was deemed illegal in clubs up and down the country for donkeys years and still is in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Motivator wrote: »
    Ffs it isn’t the PGA Tour you’re on pal. Sharpened grooves on a wedge won’t make you shoot 65 on a Sunday morning. I’ve seen lads play all sorts of mad clubs and balls in comps over the years. As long as there’s not a motor attached to the ball and lads aren’t taking the piss then nothing will ever be said. It’s sharpened grooves, technically it could be outside the rules but a round neck tshirt was deemed illegal in clubs up and down the country for donkeys years and still is in some places.

I wouldn't use it incase it made it non conforming. The same way I wouldn't tee up in front of a tee box or any other rule that wouldn't result in a 65.
    If you want to play golf like that just play a casual where it's not an issue at all.

The other point being made seems less about Wilson and more about the money people have/are willing to spend on clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    i listened to a podcast a while ago where they talked specifically about the fall of Wilson and its attempts to get back to relevance....when i was a kid playing in the 90s, Wilson were a big name and had many top golfers in their ranks. Montgomery was a big staff player for them before he moved across to Callaway, Daly and langer too i think....i remember lusting over the wilson ultra irons with firestick graphite shaft but went for ping in the end....also had a killer whale driver when there was big hysteria around it for its size and Daly using it....i picked up a wilson infinite putter in McGuirks for no other reason than it was a bargain at 58 euro and its actually a lovely putter and a bargain at twice the price.....didn't they release a new wedge recently similar to the TM hi-toe for reasonable money too?

Monty was Yonex, rather than Wilson I think?Daly used to use the Wilson Firestick driver back in the 90s. Those were really popular.

fullstop wrote: »
    Monty was Yonex, rather than Wilson I think?Daly used to use the Wilson Firestick driver back in the 90s. Those were really popular.

He absolutely played Wilson back in the day which isn’t to say he didn’t play yonex at some stage maybe before that but I’m open to correction (pretty sure I’ve covered myself there!) the fire stick shafts we’re very desirable back in the day…I think I had some kind of howson fairway wood that had a red and black shaft to replicate the fire stick look….

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

I should back myself more…google Colin Montgomery Wilson and plenty of images playing the classic ultra irons…even one from Scottish golf museum with a set….

Advertisement