Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for commute

• 27-05-2021 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭

Howdy.
    Can someone point me in the right direction please.
    I’m looking for a half decent commuter bike.
    40k per day
    Comfortable
    Not too many gears
    Budget €500
    Would prefer new but might consider a decent 2nd hand one

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

40kms per day is a fair bit of cycling - I would try and increase your budget and get something a bit better. Is it a flat commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

C3PO wrote: »
    40kms per day is a fair bit of cycling - I would try and increase your budget and get something a bit better. Is it a flat commute?

Yeah, it’s fairly flat. Regional/country road.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Second hand aluminium CX/Gravel bike with hydraulic discs and mounting points for mudguards/panniers would come up on adverts occasionally at in and around that budget.

Boardman CXR 8.9
    Boardman team CX

or similar

It's well worth holding out for one with hydraulic discs. Plenty come up with mechanical discs but these should be in the picture dictionary under false economy. Decent rim brakes are better than mechanical discs. (IMHO)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Peterx wrote: »
    ...It's well worth holding out for one with hydraulic discs...
    For a flat commute on rural roads? Overkill IMO.

OP - single speed would be ideal - minimal maintenance.

Might be beyond your current budget but consider getting a belt drive instead of a chain as they they require almost no maintenance ideally it sounds like you would would be best off with a single-speed belt driven bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

http://www.adverts.ie/23847164

That's a nice little yoke, offer him 400.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

byrnem31 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/23847164

That's a nice little yoke, offer him 400.
    "Unwanted gift" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Had a look at that ad - Voodoo are decent.

54cm is a smallish frame, not large as he is saying.

When you are buying a bike - make sure its the right size for you, first and foremost. After that start thinking about spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Had a look at that ad - Voodoo are decent.

54cm is a smallish frame, not large as he is saying.

When you are buying a bike - make sure its the right size for you, first and foremost. After that start thinking about spec.

Well... That 54cm frame size is abstract figure. Means actually not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

I have that exact bike. I'm 6'1", and I have the 57" frame, if that any use as a size comparison to you, OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Peterx wrote: »
    It's well worth holding out for one with hydraulic discs. Plenty come up with mechanical discs but these should be in the picture dictionary under false economy. Decent rim brakes are better than mechanical discs. (IMHO)
    Not really my experience, having one of each, to be honest. In the wet, mechanical discs still perform better than rim. No doubt hydraulic a more significant step up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Discs would be my preference for commuting, especially in gritty winter months, at 40km one ride will have the bike destroyed. When I was commuting 40km on my bike with rim brakes I had to wipe down the rim surface with damp kitchen roll after getting home every day as the brakes would be useless in the wet otherwise.

Only issue with mechanical discs in my experience is the cables snapping once in a blue moon. If you need more power you can always get metal pads or a bigger rotor. Hydraulic is nicer feel and are self adjusting pads but not a must have.

Advertisement