Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should this be under Science?

• 22-10-2003 8:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Do you guys want this to be moved under the Science sub category of Sci/Tech?

It seems more reasonable a home then Afterhours but its up to you guys.

DeV.

ps: Dont get used to the idea of voting ... its only cos I couldnt give a sh*t on this particular issue :):)

Should this forum be in Sci/Tech >> Science >> Weather / Meteorology 15 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    46% 7 votes
    Perhaps (give reasons please)
    46% 7 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    6% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Personally I'm not too bothered.

It seems to be more a place to talk crap about the weather than to talk serious meteorology (though it's always welcome) so I think it fits comfortably under either.

I don't see any particular reason to move it, but I don't really mind.

I think Man would like it to stay under After Hours. He'd say so if his computer hadn't been fried by lightning. Ah the i-a-nee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Weather should be under science because that's what it is. It's about the application of big computers to do serious math/physics stuff on data gathered with satellites and other tech equipment.

Also might attract a few more interesting comments (other than it being a bit nippy out this morning) from people who know what they're talking about. Probably less traffic though.

Originally posted by henbane
    Weather should be under science because that's what it is. It's about the application of big computers to do serious math/physics stuff on data gathered with satellites and other tech equipment.
    Enda thats what it is to Meteorologists and scientists, not necessarily to everyone.

90% of the traffic on the board is just general weather chat which is something that needs to be considered.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    90% of the traffic on the board is just general weather chat which is something that needs to be considered.

Poop, I say. General weather chat can occur in the science setting but the science types will probably shy away from After hours. Look at a lot of the tech forums - questions which in some places would be greeted with "freaking n00b, RTFM" are usually answered politely and plenty of discussions of bread and butter stuff goes on even though the forums are also an outlet for advanced users who know the obscure/interesting stuff inside out.

I reckon weather would be more interesting if the science type stuff was encouraged by it being under there and the general weather chat could persist there anyway though it would possibly get less new traffic in that vein there so I guess it's a question of what the mods want from the forum.

Offtopic: Could someone post some satelite or otherwise pictures of yesterday's big freaking storms?

I reckon weather would be more interesting if the science type stuff was encouraged by it being under there and the general weather chat could persist there anyway though it would possibly get less new traffic in that vein there so I guess it's a question of what the mods want from the forum.
    Why would it being in After Hours scare off science types?

I think the question is where is the more appropriate place for the forum not what encourages more traffic or what panders to the sensibilities of those interested in hard science.

On that question (as I've said before) I'm neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'm more for the chatty side of the weather than of the science of meteorology, tbh.

When Man arrives from his new PC quest, I'm sure he'll air his views.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    I think the question is where is the more appropriate place for the forum not what encourages more traffic or what panders to the sensibilities of those interested in hard science.

The most appropriate place for the forum depends on the aims of the forum. If it's just to shoot the breeze about the weather then leave it in After Hours; if you reckon you want people to feel that the science end of weather is also relevant to the discussion then put it in science. I'm not advocating a big fat weather geek forum, just one the encourages input of a scientific nature.
    On that question (as I've said before) I'm neutral.

Call yourself a Mod? Pah!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by DMC
    I'm more for the chatty side of the weather than of the science of meteorology, tbh.

When Man arrives from his new PC quest, I'm sure he'll air his views.

What he said. :)

• Originally posted by henbane
    The most appropriate place for the forum depends on the aims of the forum. If it's just to shoot the breeze about the weather then leave it in After Hours; if you reckon you want people to feel that the science end of weather is also relevant to the discussion then put it in science. I'm not advocating a big fat weather geek forum, just one the encourages input of a scientific nature.

For the record, we do encourage all types of weather discussion here, scientific discussion included.

I would prefer to have the forum in a setting that keeps those interested in it in general,from shying away from discussing it.
    Thats afterhours :)
    I don't think Scientific people have a shyer proportion of the population than the rest do they? ;)

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The most appropriate place for the forum depends on the aims of the forum. If it's just to shoot the breeze about the weather then leave it in After Hours; if you reckon you want people to feel that the science end of weather is also relevant to the discussion then put it in science.
    There is nothing about this forum that discourages scientific discussion. Also forums don't have to have aims per se (beyond narrowing to a specific area) they take thier impetus driven mostly by the people who use them, much like boards itself I suppose.
    I'm not advocating a big fat weather geek forum, just one the encourages input of a scientific nature.
    Sounds to me like you are.
    Call yourself a Mod? Pah!
    No that was someone else.

P.S. I'm better at Soul Calibur 2 than you.

Advertisement