Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free running of an EV?

• 27-05-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I am not too techy so forgive me.
    Apart from the cost of the car and maintenance etc, Could you charge an EV using a solar panel or 2 ? Forget the house electricity and all that How many panels ? would you need just to run the car ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ish66 wrote: »
    Apart from the cost of the car and maintenance etc, Could you charge an EV using a solar panel or 2 ? Forget the house electricity and all that How many panels ? would you need just to run the car ?

You'd probably need about 2.5kw of panels to get any sort of charge into the car, and you'd need a smart charger that can take the surplus solar power only as opposed to just charging at the max capacity of the charger.

Panels are typically between 300-400W each so about 7 panels needed and would cost about 2500e

Query is somewhat redundant as it costs circa 1/10th the cost of an ice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No is the short answer.

The min power required to start a charge session is 1.4kW so you’d need 4+ panels running at full tilt to start a charge and even then it would take days to charge one of today’s long range EVs and the small detail that the car needs to be plugged in at home during the peak sunshine hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Alkers wrote: »
    You'd probably need about 2.5kw of panels to get any sort of charge into the car, and you'd need a smart charger that can take the surplus solar power only as opposed to just charging at the max capacity of the charger.

Panels are typically between 300-400e each so about 7 panels needed and would cost about 2500e

Query is somewhat redundant as it costs circa 1/10th the cost of an ice

ice ?

KCross wrote: »
    No is the short answer.

The min power required to start a charge session is 1.4kW so you’d need 4+ panels running at full tilt to start a charge and even then it would take days to charge one of today’s long range EVs and the small detail that the car needs to be plugged in at home during the peak sunshine hours.
    Thank you for the short answer without if's or but's etc. I am happy now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Y

Panels are typically between 300-400e each so about 7 panels needed and would cost about 2500e

Think you are well off the mark there, hovering just over a ton at the minute

Back to OP, the answer is no, I have a 6kWp array and had a great day yesterday putting 26kWh into the EV, we don't get weather like that in Ireland consistently and also the car was plugged in all day.
    You can forget about charging from Nov-Feb, you'll get nothing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

ice ?

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I am happy now.

If it were normal times I’d say your thread was an effort to settle a pub bet! :)

Did you win the bet? :)

Are you considering an EV or Solar panels? Or was it just a general wondering?

slave1 wrote: »

Back to OP, the answer is no, I have a 6kWp array and had a great day yesterday putting 26kWh into the EV, we don't get weather like that in Ireland consistently and also the car was plugged in all day.
    You can forget about charging from Nov-Feb, you'll get nothing
    I was amused at your sig, selling a Nissan leaf !:D

slave1 wrote: »

Typo - should have been watts not euro!

KCross wrote: »
    If it were normal times I’d say your thread was an effort to settle a pub bet! :)

Did you win the bet? :)

Are you considering an EV or Solar panels? Or was it just a general wondering?
    The latter !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Typo - should have been watts not euro!
    They cost 2500w?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

fe10aead-86f3-4495-b163-f058904d1eae.JPG

Its a toyota prius plug in, I beleive something like 5 km a day from the solar panel, probably optimal sunshine on the equator to get that range a day.

Its an extra, costing around 2000 euro, so not worth it, also it only charges the battery when parked.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

kanuseeme wrote: »
    fe10aead-86f3-4495-b163-f058904d1eae.JPG

Its a toyota prius plug in, I beleive something like 5 km a day from the solar panel, probably optimal sunshine on the equator to get that range a day.

Its an extra, costing around 2000 euro, so not worth it, also it only charges the battery when parked.:D:D:D:D

That's not an indicator, but it is a type of virtue signal.

They cost 2500w?

For 2.5kW array installed yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This might be informative, obviously this guy gets more sun than Ireland.

Advertisement