Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giro D'Italia Stage 18: Rovereto to Stradella (231km)

• 27-05-2021 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

After yesterday's damn good stage both from an Irish and general point of view, today presents a final opportunity for sprinters with just 2 more mountain stages and the TT to go.

Some small lumps towards the end of what is a long stage may encourage the likes of Bora to once again drill it on the climbs to try to distance the majority of Sagan's few remaining competitors.

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-18-map-20cba91025.png

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-18-profile-n2-736926f88e.jpg

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-18-climb-1c5c834c92.jpg

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-18-finish-dfafe84b27.png

Odds from Bet365
    Peter Sagan 9/2
    Diego Ulissi 12/1
    Alberto Bettiol 12/1
    Fernando Gaviria 14/1
    Remi Cavagna 18/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

A lot of talk of Bora not doing their usual strategy and leaving the breakaway to mop up all the points so that Sagan is safe in the ciclamino jersey. As if they do bring them back and make it into a bunch sprint there is a chance he loses the sprint to Cimolai/Gaviria and gets overtaken.
    So will we see UAE/Bahrain pulling the peloton all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

t'would be nice to be sitting on the bridge in Pescheira Del Garda today, drinking an Aperol Spritz watching the peloton cycle past.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

230km of nothing stage today, looks flat enough for them to just roll along on with a break up the road then a scramble for a sprintish finish

neris wrote: »
    230km of nothing stage today, looks flat enough for them to just roll along on with a break up the road then a scramble for a sprintish finish

Some of the views from the helicopter here are unreal, how the hell they built that church on a ledge of a mountain with a sheer face above and below it back in 1625 amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Enfilade wrote: »
    Some of the views from the helicopter here are unreal, how the hell they built that church on a ledge of a mountain with a sheer face above and below it back in 1625 amazes me.

I bet many poor guys died doing it

• Advertisement

Enfilade wrote: »

I cycled up Mont Baldo in 2019 and stopped for a look at the church on the way. Breathtaking spot.
    Baldo was a tough climb on a hot day with 19% gradiants near the top which had me stopping about 5 times to ehhh... take a few pictures.
    DSC-0205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Roche in the break, one of 3 DSM riders

retalivity wrote: »
    Roche in the break, one of 3 DSM riders

Kelly had him as his pick this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m just glad that Brouchard has been allowed a day off. No doubt he’ll be off up the road tomorrow for more KOM points but he can enjoy today in the peloton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

1hr 40mins between posts on an ongoing stage shows what an absolute belter it is today :pac:

Hopefully it livens up in the last 20 or 30km.

• Advertisement

1hr 40mins between posts on an ongoing stage shows what an absolute belter it is today :pac:

Hopefully it livens up in the last 20 or 30km.

I’m not even watching it tbh. Will tune in when that break splits I think

Selection made already, Roche Izaguirre, Bettiol, Bevin all there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Its getting exciting now Nico is chasing down Sam Bennett at the front of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cavagna in TT mode at the front off the breakway ... Nico in a chase group 20 seconds back.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

retalivity wrote: »
    Selection made already, Roche Izaguirre, Bettiol, Bevin all there

Unbelievable attack by Cavagna, would be an amazing win if he can make it stick

Kinda want Cavagna to win if Roche can’t. Does a lot of work for Sam of course, but love that he tries these breaks in nearly every race he enters

Dodge wrote: »
    Kinda want Cavagna to win if Roche can’t. Does a lot of work for Sam of course, but love that he tries these breaks in nearly every race he enters

Absolutely - been rooting for him and loving his aggression for a long time.

Dodge wrote: »

At least rte have his photo for the sports news this evening

Roche back in with Bettiol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

It would make my cycling year if Roche wins a Giro stage. He's never gotten the results he deserves.

• Advertisement

Letting Bettiol do all the work by looks of it

So strong by bettiol

Hope for Nicos sake tje 2 bits have killed themselves with that effort

Cavagna completely blown :(

Cavagnas gone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nico 18 seconds back on Bettiol with Cavagna gone.
    Looking like Bettiol will do it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

no catching Bettiol by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

the gap to Nico seems smaller than 17seconds?

Head shaking from Nico there.

• Advertisement

Yep, downhill all the way from here.

Advertisement