Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards in 1939

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Raphael Picard

Just started reading Finnegans Wake ... anyone else lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

sunbeam wrote: »
    Eddie and Wallis: Did you see the state of that brazen American hussy in the latest newsreel? Just who do the think they are jetting around the world like minor film stars? Will this be the end of the royal family and is it all her fault?

The Emergency Thread I-XXV. Later to be followed by The Emergency Forum, which will bring us such highly debated threads as:

To Gas Mask or Not to Gas Mask?
    Can we please have some fcuking control on fighter jets from high risk countries invading our airspace?
    Will the Brits ever piss off and stop asking for the use of our ports?
    Do ration coupon cheats cheat us all?

What’s a jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

What’s a jet?

It's what happens if you have too much water pressure and the water just "jets" out of the fosset like mad.

Those can be pretty powerful, I can understand why someone might call that a "Fighter Jet"...loads of Fight in that Jet. Not sure how foreign jets could enter our airspace...unless you're up North with a hose pointed at us...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What’s a jet?
    Given the context it's a dark black colour. If they are really dark then searchlights won't pick them up.

But the neighbours have the latest detector technology so they should be OK.

acoustic_locator_12.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8cbKCMBdDvw/V8jmRC7_WPI/AAAAAAAAK4s/mW24UNfiYZcMz_MAEjZnnWwzoHK_VsXfwCLcB/s1600/acoustic_locator_12.jpg

From https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/aircraft-detection-radar-1917-1940/

I didn't get a paper today. Anyone know what date it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What’s a jet?

ME262, might have only existed on paper but the threat of its existence was probably enough

ME262, might have only existed on paper but the threat of its existence was probably enough

[pedant alert] Frank Whittle had a working turbojet in 1937, but considering I don’t know what date it is cos I didn’t buy a paper today it’s possible I don’t know about these magnificent men in their flying machines
    [/pedant alert]

I didn't get a paper today. Anyone know what date it is?

The twenty sixth day of May, in the Year of Our Lord Nineteen, Nine and Thirty.

Rawr wrote: »
    The twenty sixth day of May, in the Year of Our Lord Nineteen, Nine and Thirty.

Thanks. I’ve been meaning to find out what happened to those poor American sailors on the submarine Squalus.

It seemed to be lost in all the news the other day about Mr Hitler looking to reunite Prussia and Danzig with Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Love this thread. It's all that's keeping me going at the minute. Collen I'm supposed to Wed next week has just informed me she wants a small family of no more than 6 kids. I'm devastated as there's 34 in my family including 12 priests and 9 nuns and 6 St. Bridgets Cross technician's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Has anyone got the new Glenn Miller record? That guy is going to be big in the next decade or two.

Nah, Tommy Dorsey or Artie Shaw for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks. I’ve been meaning to find out what happened to those poor American sailors on the submarine Squalus.
    I hope they did better than the sailors on HMS Thetis

Long read https://janmeecham.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/the-thetis-submarine-disaster/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1939 summed up in 9 seconds

New housing is being built and it is much needed. Mind you you'd need the best part of a thousand pounds to buy a large house in a good area of Dublin. Can prices rise more?

saabsaab wrote: »
    New housing is being built and it is much needed. Mind you you'd need the best part of a thousand pounds to buy a large house in a good area of Dublin. Can prices rise more?

These concrete blocks are quicker than stone, plenty of farm labourers laid off because of Mr Ferguson will slap up new buildings quickly,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

These concrete blocks are quicker than stone, plenty of farm labourers laid off because of Mr Ferguson will slap up new buildings quickly,

Lazy mans mortar, it’ll never catch on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Them unionists, they are full of it. This Lord Craigavon wants conscription in the 6 counties, even though the British reckon it is too much trouble.
    He made a speech "Nothing would cause so much resentment in Ulster as the suggestion that they wished to be relieved of the sacrifices which were being borne by their fellow-citizens".
    I'll tell you, I know a few lads round Forkhill and Dromintee and they are doing well smuggling cows, and they'll not be joining the British Army!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Noooooooooooooo my youngest is quite taken by a Protestant girl up the road, any one know the ramifications if he goes ahead ? Don’t think she’s even intact

Noooooooooooooo my youngest is quite taken by a Protestant girl up the road, any one know the ramifications if he goes ahead ? Don’t think she’s even intact

Ex-communication

May his sole rest in HELL

The post office wants to put the price of a stamp up to 3d ,nobody will posting letters soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have a feeling that in a few years time, we will have a bomb so destructive, it will put other bombs in the shade

branie2 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that in a few years time, we will have a bomb so destructive, it will put other bombs in the shade

You'd need tons and tons of TNT , no aeroplane could carry it,

Might need a large airship?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Might need a large airship?

They are basically a floating bomb anyway

No existing aeroplane. They are working on bigger ones all the time. But still not a patch on what an airship can carry.

But you don't need bombs when you can use poison gas. I fear that H.G. Well's book The Shape of Things to Come may be prophetic.

They are basically a floating bomb anyway
    That old chestnut.

Only if you use Hydrogen. If you use Helium they are safe as long as you keep away from storms. And they can carry aeroplanes too.

That old chestnut.

Only if you use Hydrogen. If you use Helium they are safe as long as you keep away from storms. And they can carry aeroplanes too.

Helium is expensive.

Why is Germany signing all these non aggression pacts? According to those in the know they are signing one with Denmark later on today.

I'm beginning to think Hitler isn't the Volk Loving peace keeper we all hope he is. Maybe he's signing all these pacts as a distraction.

No doubt, some jovial gentleman will direct me to the conspiracy theories pages of this missive for expressing my thoughts

There's a lot of buzz coming out from Norway about Norsk Hydro making this stuff called "Heavy Water". I don't understand the fuss. It's water for crying out loud. If you have loads of it, of course it will be "heavy" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The ice caps are predicted by climate scientists to disappear by 1955. Hopefully any skirmishes are carbon neutral.

Electric tanks are the future and air ships.

Advertisement