Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New v secondhand

• 26-05-2021 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Probably a silly question, but just looking for a bit of advice. I need to change my car and have a max budget of 20k (I hate spending money on cars). My preference is a hatchback, just myself and the wife, approx 15k Kms a year. Not interested in bells and whistles, just comfortable, safe and economic to run

Would you go for a new basic new car (such as a Sandero,), with associated warranty, or a 2-3 year old used car with a better specification. I would be financing the car

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Probably a silly question, but just looking for a bit of advice. I need to change my car and have a max budget of 20k (I hate spending money on cars). My preference is a hatchback, just myself and the wife, approx 15k Kms a year. Not interested in bells and whistles, just comfortable, safe and economic to run

Would you go for a new basic new car (such as a Sandero,), with associated warranty, or a 2-3 year old used car with a better specification. I would be financing the car

Any thoughts

It would depend on how long you intend to keep the car.

If you are going to keep it for say 10 years +, then I would go new.

You will get the benefits of 4 years with no NCT, probably free servicing for one or two years, brand new tyres, brakes etc. There will be minimal extra cost in depreciation as the main depreciation is in the first few years, and this will be spread over a longer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Dacia are simple and reliable but seriously no frills.

There should be some good petrol options or even elec at that price in higher specced 1 to 3 year old models.

You need to have some defined list of requirements to help direct you shortlist.

What features or requirements do you have? Max daily drive or commute? Is Android auto a need for Spotify. Big boot, comfy seats. Cheap to run. What ranks highest?

Edit, You could get a 2018 highline golf for 20k low mileage and warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Any thoughts

What type of driving are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I wouldn't personally go for the new car myself. Even a 12 month old car is probably thousands cheaper. I would go for that and a nice holiday to boot.

Personally I never go basic. If you are buying something then try get something which at least is a nice place to sit. You won't care when you are sitting in it if the number plate is 181 or 211.
    You mentioned not interested in bell & whistles but I would think the following are a basic to start off with
    Dual air con
    Cruise contril(adaptive if possible)
    Parking sensor & camera if possible
    Heated seats

You mention economical and safe.
    Depending on what driving you are doing, if you have a house with a driveway I would look at maybe the eGolf. It ticks all of the boxes. In terms of cost of running it is minimal because service costs/tax/tolls etc are all cheap. You will pick up in budget as well. Maybe even the leather seats instead of the material ones. Electric is a step too far for some people but just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Thanks for all the replies.

Important would be reasonable cab space. I'm fairly tall but kids are reared and gone, so rear space not important. Semi rural, 5kms to main county town. Work from home full time, even pre-covid. No need for golf clubs etc in the boot. Must suit my wife to drive. Other car that we're keeping is a Hyundai i30. Travel 120 Kms to Dublin approx once a month. Parking sensors would be nice, decent radio, decent (legal) motorway cruising.

Just to add, I usually hang on to cars until they start having serious issues

Thanks for all the replies.

Important would be reasonable cab space. I'm fairly tall but kids are reared and gone, so rear space not important. Semi rural, 5kms to main county town. Work from home full time, even pre-covid. No need for golf clubs etc in the boot. Must suit my wife to drive. Other car that we're keeping is a Hyundai i30. Travel 120 Kms to Dublin approx once a month. Parking sensors would be nice, decent radio, decent (legal) motorway cruising.

Just to add, I usually hang on to cars until they start having serious issues

Not trying to push electric but sounds like it might be the job for you.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202104271884994?journey=Search

You will do the trip to Dublin no bother BUT you will need to top up in Dublin or on way back. You could check if Ionity is available along the road. Or in Dublin multiple of the ecars chargers.

It might be a step too far and too much hassle mind you so I would look at a hybrid. The Toyota's or the Lexus.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/c-hr/fpa/202012096939046?journey=Search

These are a great car, bit of height for getting in/out of. Easy on petrol and its a Toyota so solid as a rock. The back seats are small but comfy for short trips but you will hardly use them. Gets away from a plug in charger as well

Lexus, this might be perfect. The biggest problem with this car is a small boot and limited back seat space which you have no issue with. Just a step up in comfort from the Toyota but again a Toyota underneath so wont break often

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/ct200h/fpa/202105253075595?journey=Search

Thanks for the suggestions, but it brings me back to my quandary. I'd love an e-car, but my budget would only let me get a 4 yr old model and I'm trying to weigh up the new v secondhand argument in my head. I could afford a more expensive car, but can never justify spending much on them.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it brings me back to my quandary. I'd love an e-car, but my budget would only let me get a 4 yr old model and I'm trying to weigh up the new v secondhand argument in my head. I could afford a more expensive car, but can never justify spending much on them.

It's electric so service cost are software update, fill the water etc. You can also buy extended warranty very cheap via a few companies. I am buying second hand all the time and I get, used once to twice but is safety net. Very few moving parts so very little to go wrong compared to combustion.

Again not trying to push you toward electric or any car but I personally always go down the years and get the more luxury car. Somewhere nice to sit and drive in. I love driving and want to enjoy it. Some of the "cheaper" brand cars are new but they are an awful place to be. Again just a personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Depends on what your use cases are for the car. Tipping around the town, then electric or petrol. Even at 15000km a year it would lean towards those (include PHEV too). Diesel would be out I'd say.

Do you need big boot space. No kids now, but maybe in future. Is that a possibility. Would need to handle a car seat then.
    ineedeuro wrote: »
    I would think the following are a basic to start off with
    Dual air con
    Cruise contril(adaptive if possible)
    Parking sensor & camera if possible
    Heated seats

I'd class all those as extras and in no way basic. Air con maybe for the few hot days. Cruise control only really useful if your chewing motorway miles on a regular basis. Parking sensor - maybe. Heated seats - no way.

• Advertisement

Depends on what your use cases are for the car. Tipping around the town, then electric or petrol. Even at 15000km a year it would lean towards those (include PHEV too). Diesel would be out I'd say.

Do you need big boot space. No kids now, but maybe in future. Is that a possibility. Would need to handle a car seat then.

I'd class all those as extras and in no way basic. Air con maybe for the few hot days. Cruise control only really useful if your chewing motorway miles on a regular basis. Parking sensor - maybe. Heated seats - no way.

No heated seats? but what will make your arse warm in the winter months

With electric you have pre-heated car. So you in the middle of the winter you step into a balmy 27 degrees.

At what mileage or age do e-cars need expensive work done to them? You all have me drifting to that option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

At what mileage or age do e-cars need expensive work done to them? You all have me drifting to that option

Electric drivetrain is basically non-serviceable (no oil, no coolant etc) - and the car will sooner rot than give you issues. The suspension works the same way between electric and non-electric. Brakes wear a little slower. Tyres etc - more less the same.

In general, you can expect more than 10 years of issue free motoring with an EV.

grogi wrote: »
    Electric drivetrain is basically non-serviceable (no oil, no coolant etc) - and the car will sooner rot than give you issues. The suspension works the same way between electric and non-electric. Brakes wear a little slower. Tyres etc - more less the same.

In general, you can expect more than 10 years of issue free motoring with an EV.

I had a tyre pressure sensor go in mine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

You cant keep the car you are in ? You say you hate spending money on cars... so dont...

What about the battery though? Would you feel confident buying a 5 year old battery? That's the only thing which would stop me.

Murph85 wrote: »
    You cant keep the car you are in ? You say you hate spending money on cars... so dont...

I have a 161 Hyundai i30, which is serving me fine. It's a 07 Focus which is starting to throw up engine management system problems that I'm replacing. If I start to not trust a car, I get rid

TP_CM wrote: »
    What about the battery though? Would you feel confident buying a 5 year old battery? That's the only thing which would stop me.

Are you talking about the 12v battery or the fuel source battery?

12v in any car will go and if not should be replaced at least every 7 years.
    The fuel source battery will last longer than the car itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

https://youtu.be/c4LyNjuSvHE

The new dacias.
    Buy and keep for 10 years.

TP_CM wrote: »

Yes. Unless unreasonably small (exp. Renault Fluence Że) the battery will last years

• Advertisement

Why is that? I'm still on the original battery in my 06 car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Agreed.

Why would you replace a battery that’s working fine?

https://youtu.be/c4LyNjuSvHE

The new dacias.
    Buy and keep for 10 years.

Why?
    I know some people like to have a new number plate but why?

Based on information I got before from AA, also was mentioned in a local garage to me as well

It’s 100 quid for a battery, after 7 years of driving a car spending 100 quid on a battery doesn’t seem like too much hassle

Yes. Unless unreasonably small (exp. Renault Fluence Że) the battery will last years

The Renault Fluence are still going strong, I seen one recently for sale and still had 80% battery. Was been used as a run around and was sold at more than it was more a few years back....still was doing 90km to a full which suits more than most as a second car

Based on information I got before from AA, also was mentioned in a local garage to me as well

It’s 100 quid for a battery, after 7 years of driving a car spending 100 quid on a battery doesn’t seem like too much hassle

It's not hassle. I don't get the logic. If a battery is working as it should why spend anything replacing it. Plus you have an environmental impact disposing of the old, perfectly good battery. I'm curious now if this is a recommendation or what from the manufacturers. I don't think any battery in anything I have apart from one machine is newer than 7 years

@mods - perhaps this battery talk should be moved to a new thread and let the OP discuss cars here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Why?
    I know some people like to have a new number plate but why?

I'd not buy one.
    But I think the OP would be quite happy in a Dacia.

Then you talk about the new reg.
    It'll not be new in 10 years.

If the OP spends 15k on a car and holds it'll cost 1500 a year over 10 years.
    That's very small depreciation per year.

One of the things that irks me about buying a 3/4 yr old car is that I usually finance over 4 years, which means I'm still paying back a loan when I have a 7/8 year old car

One of the things that irks me about buying a 3/4 yr old car is that I usually finance over 4 years, which means I'm still paying back a loan when I have a 7/8 year old car

Why is that an issue?

Firstly, you can probably pay back the 3yo car in 3 years comparing to 4 years for a new car.

Secondly, wouldn't you buy an insurance against expensive failures? If the car fails catastrophically, it would cover the remainder of finance deal and get you started on a next one.

• Advertisement

Are you talking about the 12v battery or the fuel source battery?

The fuel source battery will last longer than the car itself.

Does the fuel source battery not lose effectiveness after 3-5 years, like for example phone batteries? Just to clarify, I'm genuinely asking and not arguing this point. One of the main reasons I have not got an electric vehicle is because I'm priced out of the new car market and I'm worried about battery performance on the 2nd hand market.

Advertisement