Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry Camino

• 11-04-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all
    Am thinking if doing the Kerry Camino this summer and am looking for accommodation ideas on the route, preferably not camping!

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

The Kerry Camino covers the first 3 days of the Dingle Way. The Dingle Way website gives accommodation options at the end of each section:

https://www.dingleway.com/trail-description/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

seablue wrote: »
    The Kerry Camino covers the first 3 days of the Dingle Way. The Dingle Way website gives accommodation options at the end of each section:

https://www.dingleway.com/trail-description/index.php
    Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

contact kerrycamino.com they will send you out an accomodation list if you want the only place to be careful is in Camp at the end of day one you need to figure out if you are in upper camp or lower camp its explained here https://kerrycamino.com/the-kerry-caminos-guide-to-camp-the-village-not-the-activity/ :D

Also Camp has limited accomodation options so I would book as soon as you have your dates

maii address is info at kerry camino

If you want the walkers passport give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but I am also thinking of doing the Kerry Camino this summer.

I've been checking out accommodation options, and there doesn't seem to be very much available, and what IS available seems to be expensive.

I would love to wild camp, but as a female traveling alone, I don't think I would feel safe (plus I don't want to have to carry all the associated gear tent/sleeping bag/mat/stove/extra food etc.)

The idea I'm formulating in my brain is to travel to and from Tralee via Bus Eireann each day. I have just checked the bus schedule, and they seem pretty regular, passing through Camp and Annascaul. I have a friend living in Tralee who has promised me a bed and a shower each evening if I go ahead with this way. Luxury!!

Has anyone here done this, got the bus each day, and how did it work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but I am also thinking of doing the Kerry Camino this summer.

I've been checking out accommodation options, and there doesn't seem to be very much available, and what IS available seems to be expensive.

I would love to wild camp, but as a female traveling alone, I don't think I would feel safe (plus I don't want to have to carry all the associated gear tent/sleeping bag/mat/stove/extra food etc.)

The idea I'm formulating in my brain is to travel to and from Tralee via Bus Eireann each day. I have just checked the bus schedule, and they seem pretty regular, passing through Camp and Annascaul. I have a friend living in Tralee who has promised me a bed and a shower each evening if I go ahead with this way. Luxury!!

Has anyone here done this, got the bus each day, and how did it work out for you?

Are you thinking of starting from the point you left off on the day previous?
    How close is the trail to the main road?

Wonder if Jo found out any more ^^

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's exactly what I'm hoping to do. As far as I can tell, the trail brings you into the villages, so hopefully the bus will be passing close by on the main road.

Plan so far is:

Day 1 - Walk Tralee to Camp, then bus back to Tralee that evening from Camp.

Day 2- Get up early, bus from Tralee to Camp, then walk Camp to Annascaul, then bus back to Tralee in the evening.

Day 3 - Get up early again, bus from Tralee to Annascaul, walk final leg Annascaul to Dingle.
    Won't need to get a bus back to Tralee on the final day, as my lovely non-hiking friends will be meeting me in Dingle with an already pitched tent at a camp site
    (and hopefully a cold beer).

As I said in my previous post, accommodation seems to be a bit thin on the ground, so this is the other option I am thinking of.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's exactly what I'm hoping to do. As far as I can tell, the trail brings you into the villages, so hopefully the bus will be passing close by on the main road.

Plan so far is:

Day 1 - Walk Tralee to Camp, then bus back to Tralee that evening from Camp.

Day 2- Get up early, bus from Tralee to Camp, then walk Camp to Annascaul, then bus back to Tralee in the evening.

Day 3 - Get up early again, bus from Tralee to Annascaul, walk final leg Annascaul to Dingle.
    Won't need to get a bus back to Tralee on the final day, as my lovely non-hiking friends will be meeting me in Dingle with an already pitched tent at a camp site
    (and hopefully a cold beer).

As I said in my previous post, accommodation seems to be a bit thin on the ground, so this is the other option I am thinking of.

Camp village is small and does not have a lot of accommodation Annascaul is a bit bigger and it has more options, there is a hostel there if you want a budget option so have a look. I believe they may have beer in Dingle :)

Day 1 it is near the main road at the start and the end there are 3-4 exit points down to the main road in the intervening part of the route

Day 2 Start of in the village of camp on the main road takes minor roads and bog / forestry track and some minor roads to Inch fom inch to Annascaul is minor roads and tracks. Annascaul Is on the main road between Tralee and Dingle

Day 3 Starts in Annascaul takes minor roads to Minard some tracks and minor roads to lispole which is on the main road continues to dingle via tracks and minor roads

Basically it meets the Main road at various points

sheesh wrote: »
    Day 1 it is near the main road at the start and the end there are 3-4 exit points down to the main road in the intervening part of the route

Day 2 Start of in the village of camp on the main road takes minor roads and bog / forestry track and some minor roads to Inch fom inch to Annascaul is minor roads and tracks. Annascaul Is on the main road between Tralee and Dingle

Day 3 Starts in Annascaul takes minor roads to Minard some tracks and minor roads to lispole which is on the main road continues to dingle via tracks and minor roads

Basically it meets the Main road at various points

I've not even done the circuit at tonevane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is couchsurfing still a thing? When I lived in Killarney we had people staying with us 2, 3, 4 nights a week in the height of summer. And mostly single females who didn't want to share a hostel or camp alone. You can review people on the site to make sure they have good feedback bit admittedly it's been a long time since I've used it so might not be active these days.

Could try and search for a few walking/hiking/adventure groups on Facebook. You may find someone in the area willing to put you up for the night.

I realise that may not appeal to you but it cuts out a bus journey and could add to the adventure by meeting new people.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Is couchsurfing still a thing? When I lived in Killarney we had people staying with us 2, 3, 4 nights a week in the height of summer. And mostly single females who didn't want to share a hostel or camp alone. You can review people on the site to make sure they have good feedback bit admittedly it's been a long time since I've used it so might not be active these days.

Could try and search for a few walking/hiking/adventure groups on Facebook. You may find someone in the area willing to put you up for the night.

I realise that may not appeal to you but it cuts out a bus journey and could add to the adventure by meeting new people.

I would think Covid has put a halt to random era staying in your house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I would think Covid has put a halt to random era staying in your house

That would be up to the individual to make a decision I spose. Wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

dobman88 wrote: »
    That would be up to the individual to make a decision I spose. Wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Actually, couchsurfing wouldn't be a bad shout, and I'd have no problem with it myself, but not sure how many people in that area would be willing to put up with a random stranger in these Covid times.

I think, after reading all your replies, that the going backwards and forwards via bus option is going to be a pain in the a*rse after all.

Someone in the above comments provided a link to the Dingle Way website, which shows some handy links for accomodation, which were not showing on the Booking.com website that I had previously checked, so I have just submitted a few requests for accomodation to various B&Bs and am waiting for them to come back to me to confirm bookings etc.

The reason I am doing the Kerry Camino is as a training run for the 800km Camino De Santiago in Spain, which I am desperate to get to Spain to do, but have had to cancel flights 3 times already due to this bloody pandemic.

Kerry is a beautiful part of the world, and if I can't leave Ireland this summer, there is no place in this country I'd rather be.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Actually, couchsurfing wouldn't be a bad shout, and I'd have no problem with it myself, but not sure how many people in that area would be willing to put up with a random stranger in these Covid times.

I think, after reading all your replies, that the going backwards and forwards via bus option is going to be a pain in the a*rse after all.

Someone in the above comments provided a link to the Dingle Way website, which shows some handy links for accomodation, which were not showing on the Booking.com website that I had previously checked, so I have just submitted a few requests for accomodation to various B&Bs and am waiting for them to come back to me to confirm bookings etc.

The reason I am doing the Kerry Camino is as a training run for the 800km Camino De Santiago in Spain, which I am desperate to get to Spain to do, but have had to cancel flights 3 times already due to this bloody pandemic.

Kerry is a beautiful part of the world, and if I can't leave Ireland this summer, there is no place in this country I'd rather be.

Maybe touch base with Jo (above) and do it together, if she's willjng. Having had her and her family in my house I can say she's not an axe murderer. If she is, I know where she lives :D

I've not even done the circuit at tonevane :)

If you are not busy in september there is an organised walk !

If you are not busy in september there is an organised walk !

Whose organising it.
    September, who knows. Good opportunity to get the canon out :)

Whose organising it.
    September, who knows. Good opportunity to get the canon out :)

The Kerry Camino committee do an organised walk every year from Tralee to Dingle https://kerrycamino.com/ with guides on the route

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Look into the Bus Eireann Rambler ticket as well I think its €60 for 3 days in any 6 plus something like €16 per additional day. It might work out better costwise.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    Look into the Bus Eireann Rambler ticket as well I think its €60 for 3 days in any 6 plus something like €16 per additional day. It might work out better costwise.
    If you won't get the value out of a Rambler ticket, a Leap card is a no-brainer. Single fares are 30% cheaper than paying in cash on all BÉ services, except Expressway, and are always 50% the cost of a return so you don't get screwed when you're only going one-way.

Plus it's so handy not having to have the cash on you to cover any tickets that you mightn't even know the cost of in advance and ATMs not being readily available in the sticks...

Just a quick update here.

I ended up booking BnB's in Camp, Annascaul and Dingle, thanks to this link: https://www.dingleway.com/trail-description/tralee-camp.php provided by someone earlier in this thread.

Honestly, I wouldn't have thought to check the Dingle Way website, as I was looking on the Kerry Camino website which doesn't seem to provide accommodation links. The Kerry Camino is actually the first 3 days of the Dingle Way, which I never realised before.

It's going to work out quite expensive, but my original idea of getting buses to and from Tralee every day would have been a pain in the hoop.

Accomodation is booking up fast (I think I got just about the last bed in Dingle for the date I wanted), so if anyone is thinking of doing this walk this year, get booking asap I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Rainbow do you mind me asking how much you're talking per night for accom? I am also a solo female traveller aiming to do TKW this year but from what AirBNB etc are telling me it'll be €120+ per night.... Ooooffttt!!! :eek:

supermouse wrote: »
    Rainbow do you mind me asking how much you're talking per night for accom? I am also a solo female traveller aiming to do TKW this year but from what AirBNB etc are telling me it'll be €120+ per night.... Ooooffttt!!! :eek:

I did the first 3 days of the kerry way and it was all hostels accommodation was 30 - 50 a night

I did the first 3 days of the kerry way and it was all hostels accommodation was 30 - 50 a night

AMAZING Thanks so much! I didn't even consider hostels to be open right now but will order the book and check it out. Thanks again!

AMAZING Thanks so much! I didn't even consider hostels to be open right now but will order the book and check it out. Thanks again!

talking about the kerry way
    wont need one in killarney as you are starting there. first night in black valley is a hostel, second night is is climbers inn, third night is Glenbeigh 4th night is cahersiveen hostel there (with interesting story),

5th night is waterville , I think, b+b

6th is probably caherdaniel I'm not sure but there are B+Bs there

7th is sneem plenty accomodation there 8th night kenmare 9th is along the old kenmare road to killarney

Contacted all the hostels I could find Black Valley, Glencar and Glenbeg last night and most have responded with no availability for July. I'm still waiting on a few replies but it seems REAL busy next month.
    May need to rethink my plan.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

See if a farmer will let you pitch a tent somewhere. We directed a few hikers towards main farm houses, when we came across eager campers before.

There's Air b&b too, some of those lettings don't come up in searches.

Contacted all the hostels I could find Black Valley, Glencar and Glenbeg last night and most have responded with no availability for July. I'm still waiting on a few replies but it seems REAL busy next month.
    May need to rethink my plan.

you can camp on the grounds of the black valley hostel. if you have a tent look at camping it definitely can camp somewhere in Glenbeigh in Cahersiveen there is a good campsite near the weather station so you could mix it up.

Advertisement