Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Eternals (MCU)

• 24-05-2021 2:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The first trailer for the Chloe Zhao directed MCU film has popped up; looks intriguing, Kumail Nanjiani as a superhero is going to take some getting used to though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

looks very promising !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely the first MCU film in quite a while I'm genuinely curious to check out - Zhao is such a mad choice to direct it, I'm fascinated to find out how it works (or doesn't).

Not much to go on from the trailer - definitely further evidence that Zhao and Richards know how to shoot a landscape (certainly looks a bit more grounded than some of what we've seen from the series, at least until the neon magic **** begins), but whether that naturalistic style can gel successfully with the CG smorgasbord is something a brief trailer can't quite communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

It looks a lot more visually interesting than I was expecting, and I keep forgetting what a crazy stacked cast this is.
    I just wish Marvel felt secure enough (at this stage) in the unquestionable draw of their Marvel franchise juggernaut to not end every single trailer with an uncomfortably unfunny "joke", as it kind of ruined the almost awe-inspiring feel of the rest of the trailer.

And I'm delighted that Gemma Chan has been given a second shot at a Marvel role after being positively wasted in Captain Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The comments section is full of "Thanos: Am I a joke to you?"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the rumour(?) has been that Marvel would often taken the set-pieces away from directors; where anytime there was anything logistically complex or action-oriented, they shot with a second unit then filled in the rest in post-production.

I wonder if it'll be the same here; with such a distinctly grounded director, it could be intensely jarring if Zhao's style got lampshaded every time a requisite action scene kicked off. I do like the look of those landscapes and smaller scenes though, while that gloating ship reminded me of Arrival somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭corkie

For anyone else, like me, who is not well read up in MCU.

Marvel’s Eternals Trailer Breakdown: Who Are The New Characters of the MCU?
    Marvel's Eternals trailer might set up the future of the MCU with a host of new (and immensely powerful) characters.

Interesting cast choices.

marvel-eternals-trailer-volcano.png?w=1024

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think this will be the first Marvel film I go in pretty much completely blind to the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm kinda worried. It feels very close to a "Inhumans" kind of vibe to it and we all remember what a disaster of a series that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

flazio wrote: »
    I'm kinda worried. It feels very close to a "Inhumans" kind of vibe to it and we all remember what a disaster of a series that was.

To be fair, Kevin Feige wanted that to die. He knew it wouldn’t work, so that’s why it was demoted from movie to series.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rob Stark and Jon Snow reunion

Was Gemma Khan in another Marvel movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Chan was in Captain Marvel, as one of Jude Law's Kree squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not mad about that joke at the end. Marvel tend to duck the more difficult conversations when it comes to their God like heroes by making them "relatable" - I was hoping this would be different, but instead it seems more of the usual.

Disappointing given the potential here to tell a new and exciting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Think this will be the first Marvel film I go in pretty much completely blind to the characters.

I was going to reply that I was the same for Dr. Strange, but as I kept typing I realised that I've been lucky (unlucky childhood maybe?!) insofar as aside from Iron Man, Hulk and Spiderman, I didn't have much, if any knowledge of the MCU. Firsts for me were Guardians, Dr. Strange, basically all bad guys including Thanos, Ant-Man, the extras in Iron Man (bad guys, robots such as Ultron, etc). So I'll be the same for this. Never heard of them before.

But, I'm not gone on that trailer, and I lately just don't like Angelina Jolies face. I'll keep an open mind like I always do for MCU films, but unlike nearly all the other ones, this doesn't excite me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Not mad about that joke at the end. Marvel tend to duck the more difficult conversations when it comes to their God like heroes by making them "relatable" - I was hoping this would be different, but instead it seems more of the usual.

Disappointing given the potential here to tell a new and exciting story.

At least he didn't ask if anyone wanted more shawarma.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

flazio wrote: »

That's probably not a coincidence; both properties were created by Jack Kirby (who also created DC's New Gods which threads a very similarly needle there too)

looks like cut scenes from an Ancient Aliens episode

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That left me a bit cold being honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

She has a small role in Captain Marvel as a membee of the Kree team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't think there's anything in that that would make me interested in seeing the film if it wasn't Marvel. I guess that's why they have so many names and even the Stark brother reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Looks fairly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Has mega-flop written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sabat wrote: »

Was thinking the same.

You never know but my impression since Endgame with Wandavision and Falcon/Winter Soldier is that the MCU is on a downward trajectory for all sorts of reasons. I'm looking forward to Loki though.

As for the trailer, bland pretty much sums it up.

The fact they are trying to introduce characters that would be regarded as fringe at best under the hilariously bad explanation that they simply "never interfered" before this says something about the conundrum the franchise now has if that is a big part of the "back story" here. I mean the world nearly got destroyed how many times? How convenient and lazy.

Wouldn't be too quick to predict a flop. Let's not suddenly pretend we all knew who Rocket Racoon and Groot were, the first time the Guardians trailer kicked in. Now, It did have the benefit of having a very charismatic, eccentric tone compared with that of Eternals, but still. I'm sure plenty were like "WTF is this nonsense with a talking tree?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I also don't think it's fair to complain about the laziness of trying to introduce characters who could've interfered before, people (myself included) will happily accept that the individual Avengers are usually busy during each other's solo movie, surely this is just the nature of the beast when it comes to an interwined universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

It has the potential to be really good or really bad. I'll go see it when it's released and hope for the best.

There's a great cast and an Oscar winning director plus Kevin Feige has a great track record after Guardians of the Galaxy I'm pretty sure they can make good movies out of lesser known characters.

I just hope people give it a chance before posting reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Re watched the first Guardians trailer, not much there either. Second trailer was a bit better to show what it'd end up being. I think since then they've tried to show off more of each films USP within the superhero movies, even if some times it's just an elevator pitch like summary of John Hughes with superheroes.

This seems a bit too generic, maybe not to try to alienate anyone beforehand. If Guardians of the Galaxy 1 had a trailer more akin to vol 2 then it might have done so.

Wouldn't be saying an Oscar win means anything to a big spectacle superhero movie being good.

This isn't really a good vs bad thing but I think for Disney the possibility that this won't get a Chinese release is probably the biggest worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

sabat wrote: »

If this wasn't a Marvel property, it would be a huge flop. It probably wouldn't even be made.

MCU movies won't flop because people want to see where the ongoing story goes next. If this was entirely disconnected from any ongoing or future arcs it might, but until then I'd say the worst it could do would be around $600m worldwide.

That being said I think their next phase is tricky because it lacks charismatic, well-known leads (RDJ, Evans, Boseman), you can't really top the threat of Thanos and making the Disney+ shows required viewing for the overall story will alienate more casual viewers. I think MCU peaked with Endgame, but even then it'll do good business for the entire decade.

Varik wrote: »
    Re watched the first Guardians trailer, not much there either. Second trailer was a bit better to show what it'd end up being. I think since then they've tried to show off more of each films USP within the superhero movies, even if some times it's just an elevator pitch like summary of John Hughes with superheroes.

This seems a bit too generic, maybe not to try to alienate anyone beforehand. If Guardians of the Galaxy 1 had a trailer more akin to vol 2 then it might have done so.

Wouldn't be saying an Oscar win means anything to a big spectacle superhero movie being good.

This isn't really a good vs bad thing but I think for Disney the possibility that this won't get a Chinese release is probably the biggest worry.

With Guardians you could tell it was going to be popular as a family film and a fun film to boot, this film isnt going to be a must see family film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Found myself losing interest in that teaser and its only 2 mins long.

Wouldn't expect this to be a hit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement