Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restless Legs anyone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I must admit some of the suggestions here seem like hocus-pocus methods but I guess since the experts don't know the true cause of RLS then it's fair game.

My GP prescribed a dopamine agonist (Ropinirole) but in the end I chickened out and didn't take it. I'm not too happy messing with dopamine levels in my body via pills.

I think I'll go to the GP for some blood tests to check mineral levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I used to get this alot as a young teenager, would be lying in bed tired, but my legs would be buzzing with energy, like they could take off and run for miles. Was told it was something to do with growing, similar to growing pains. Sometimes, nowadays , can be sitting watching tv at night, and get this feeling in my legs that only fidgeting and repeatedly stretching them out relieves a bit. This is the point when I just have to go to bed, maybe its overtiredness or something that sets it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

HI, i suffer a lot wit RLS and iv read thats its got to do with the blood not circulating back up the legs.. If i lie on my back with my legs straight up against the wall the blood flows back up my legs and feeling goes away.. Does anybody think a vibro machine would help to circulate the blood better in in my legs??? Any help would be great :)

I started taking calcium and magnesium tablets before and they worked great but when i stopped it came back and now the tablets arent having the same effect..

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

mooeire wrote: »
    HI, i suffer a lot wit RLS and iv read thats its got to do with the blood not circulating back up the legs.. If i lie on my back with my legs straight up against the wall the blood flows back up my legs and feeling goes away.. Does anybody think a vibro machine would help to circulate the blood better in in my legs??? Any help would be great :)

I started taking calcium and magnesium tablets before and they worked great but when i stopped it came back and now the tablets arent having the same effect..

Honestly, try Indian Tonic Water. Have a glass about an hour before you normally get RLS and see if it helps. Sometimes I start to get pain and then have a glass and it soon goes away. It works great for me. Let me know if you try it and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I get this too. Its hurts so much i pass out and i wake up with aching pains like im after running miles and miles the day previous. Ive had it for 3 years :( its painful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chrissytina

hey!

Has anybody ever found the symptoms spreading to the stomach?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I used to get this quite a bit.
    I have noticed a drop in it since I gave up smoking.

but what used to help me,
    Id move my legs to a cold part in the bed. itd help a lot.

if my legs were in the middle, where it was warm, and they were there a while.
    id move them to the edge of the bed where it would be chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone has any updates.

I usually wake up twice a night with it.

There's still no cure and the only medication is the same as used for parkinson's with a long list of side effects which I wouldnt want to go near.

There's a pretty good website at:

http://www.rls.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Magnesium seems to be the only thing that helps.

I got some acupuncture last year for it and it pretty much has gone away!! Still get the odd twinge but nothing like before, I was also advised to eat a more alkaline diet as it is anti inflammatory. I found taking super greens in the morning a huge help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I always found popping deep heat on my legs worked wonders or deep freeze. Have'nt suffered from it in a good while but did find these the job. Also with the vibro plate I think it defo works for circulation in the legs. I have terrible flow in mine and despite asking docs they keep saying ah tis grand im like they are huge. Invested in a vibro plate after trying a friends out and think they are great. Now it doesn't work miracles where I have super model legs after but it has defo helped with the circulation in them

mooeire wrote: »
    I got some acupuncture last year for it and it pretty much has gone away!! Still get the odd twinge but nothing like before, I was also advised to eat a more alkaline diet as it is anti inflammatory. I found taking super greens in the morning a huge help

I've read that going vegan helps so i'm trying to at least go that way by juicing a lot more vegatables and eating less meat and dairy. I thik it's helped a tiny bit. I still wake at least twice every night, but its less when I'm sitting watching tv in the evening I think.

I plan on doing a week of pure vegan to test it out.

How often did you get it? DId it wake you in the night? I'm tempted by acupuncture and veganism. Even if it doesnt work its good for general health.

Milly33 wrote: »
    I always found popping deep heat on my legs worked wonders or deep freeze. Have'nt suffered from it in a good while but did find these the job. Also with the vibro plate I think it defo works for circulation in the legs. I have terrible flow in mine and despite asking docs they keep saying ah tis grand im like they are huge. Invested in a vibro plate after trying a friends out and think they are great. Now it doesn't work miracles where I have super model legs after but it has defo helped with the circulation in them

Is it a circulatory thing though? I've never heard that it is.

I've gone from completely unfit to doing ten miles a day on the bike and thighs like a professional bike racer and it hasnt made any difference.

:(

cathy01 wrote: »
    Magnesium seems to be the only thing that helps.

Does it? How often were you getting it? Is it still working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Is it a circulatory thing though? I've never heard that it is.

I've gone from completely unfit to doing ten miles a day on the bike and thighs like a professional bike racer and it hasnt made any difference.

:(

To be honest I don't know but I would doubt it I was saying more for circulation that the vibro plate was great. It just so happened that the deep heat and that did work for mine, my dad used to use it too..

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I've read that going vegan helps so i'm trying to at least go that way by juicing a lot more vegatables and eating less meat and dairy. I thik it's helped a tiny bit. I still wake at least twice every night, but its less when I'm sitting watching tv in the evening I think.

I plan on doing a week of pure vegan to test it out.

How often did you get it? DId it wake you in the night? I'm tempted by acupuncture and veganism. Even if it doesnt work its good for general health.
    I only got it a couple of times but it worked straight away, at the time I was trying to eat a mainly paleo diet which I found helped a great deal as well. I haven't been exercising that much or eating to well lately and have found the rls creeping back in.. Still nowhere near as bad as it used to be, it would take me hours to get asleep, I took mirapexin for a long time and wouldn't advise anybody to take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i'm tortured with this at night....normally about an hour after going to bed.....wife, too, says the soap under sheets work (she works in a hospital and it worked for two patients seemingly)....havent tried it, but will be....maybe even like a previous poster said put it behind the knees, something like a hotel sized soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i'm tortured with this at night....normally about an hour after going to bed.....wife, too, says the soap under sheets work (she works in a hospital and it worked for two patients seemingly)....havent tried it, but will be....maybe even like a previous poster said put it behind the knees, something like a hotel sized soap.

Have you looked into getting a weighted blanket?
    Have a look at reviews on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Could be worse, you could be Jake the Peg.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

From nutritional point of view lack of thiamine B1 and/or electrolytes imbalance especially Potassium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it caused from too much iron, red meat etc., in the diet?

I'm going to try the soap

Advertisement