Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII active light rail projects list

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very interesting. So upgrading the Green line capacity over the last 2 years has cost 115 million total. Not an insignificant amount. I like how TII manages to sneak these projects under the public radar, for instance breaking this into three cheaper sections.

They mention a Green Line enhancement project and extension to Bray, I'd hope they'd end up as Metro rather then Luas.

Cork LRT, 1 to 3 Billion, ouch! Sounds damn expensive. They mention it will be BRT first with optional future upgrade to Luas, that seems more reasonable to me. For 3 billion, couldn't you get a Metro for Cork!

Lucan Luas 1 to 3 Billion and Finglas extension 250 million to 1 Billion!! Is it just me or have the costs of Luas projects exploded. The original two Luas lines + Luas Cross City cost 1 Billion, I don't see how a four stops Luas extension in Fingals could come anywhere close to the same cost!

The Cork LRT, 1-3 billion, thats some range for an estimate

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lucan Luas is obscene. For the price of DART Underground, we get a tram line that shadow's a highly under utilised heavy rail line.

Build a stub tram track to Parkwest railway station and send them into the city centre on DARTs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd take those cost estimates with a pinch of salt. The details of the projects aren't really decided yet. State bodies are reluctant to underestimate now with recent scandals so they give a wide cost range at early stages. You can expect Luas Finglas to be a lot closer to €250m than €1bn unless they decide to do cut and cover tunnels or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

10+ years for Cork to get just a BRT system?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like the 30 trams per hour upgrade will basically require all the junction closures that the Metrolink would, will be an interesting conversation around the time that this is proposed. Might as well go for full Metrolink at that stage if that's the case.

I think their capacity numbers are also pretty optimistic as well, they seem to be assuming that the vast majority of the people going to be living in Cherrywood (and other newer developments out that way) will be working in Sandyford. If it's the other way around, with more working in the city centre, then chaos will ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭cgcsb

They're some wild cost elements. I guess because they're for projects that a lot of engineering detail hasn't been established yet. Although I'm surprised at Finglas Luas since a route is more less set in stone. I suppose the big unknown is the bridge at Broombrige and wether or not the roundabout at Charlestown will have a grade separated luas bridge or not.

Metrolink is now opening in 2031 along with cork luas? that'll be a year to remember.

Regarding the other time lines:
    Finglas luas opening in 2028 is fairly optamistic

Lucan Luas in 2030 is dreaming

Poolbeg Luas in 2028, lol

Bray Luas in 2030, I'd actually believe it because it's this type of rural, non disruptive project that offers little benefit that seems to be really easy to do in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

cgcsb wrote: »
    They're some wild cost elements. I guess because they're for projects that a lot of engineering detail hasn't been established yet. Although I'm surprised at Finglas Luas since a route is more less set in stone. I suppose the big unknown is the bridge at Broombrige and wether or not the roundabout at Charlestown will have a grade separated luas bridge or not.

Metrolink is now opening in 2031 along with cork luas? that'll be a year.

Where have you seen that Metrolink is opening in 2031?

1huge1 wrote: »
    Where have you seen that Metrolink is opening in 2031?

https://www.tii.ie/public-transport/projects-and-improvements/p-t-active-projects-list/pt-active-list-07april21.pdf

Passenger operation T+8-10 years. That's 2029-2031. Let's face it the later is more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

cgcsb wrote: »

Metrolink is now opening in 2031 along with cork luas? that'll be a year to remember.
    I'm willing to bet €100 on "neither by 2031", if I can find any takers?

• Advertisement

I'm willing to bet €100 on "neither by 2031", if I can find any takers?

In 10 years time I'll be standing at the site one of the metro stations waiting to collect my €100. :pac:
    The ESRI has come out with a warning on spending in the past few days, that's how these things start to come apart. I do believe that the NTA will apply for and get a railway order sometime in 2023 I just doubt that anything will happen after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cork Luas for 2051 more likely and even at that it's probably a bit ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Cork Luas for 2051 more likely and even at that it's probably a bit ambitious.

Too ambitious, IMO.
    I'm being serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

marno21 wrote: »
    Lucan Luas is obscene. For the price of DART Underground, we get a tram line that shadow's a highly under utilised heavy rail line.

Build a stub tram track to Parkwest railway station and send them into the city centre on DARTs.

I tend to agree that the Lucan LUAS would be a waste.

There's two BusConnect spines (C & G) going out there, along with DART+, all of which will see capacity upgraded (particularly as a result of DART),

Both Lucan LUAS route options require sharing track with the existing Red Line at some point, which would put further increase of Red Line frequency under threat.

I definitely think the city centre end of Luas Lucan is needed, without DART Underground we have only one East-West rail service in the central area and that's jammers 95% of the time. But bringing new services to suburban areas is just too sexy for politicians. Adding the required capacity to service them in central areas is too boring for them.

Advertisement