Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

She has a name

• 25-05-2021 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0525/1223803-major-general-maureen-obrien/

Headline reads on RTE website: "Woman appointed to 2nd highest rank in Defence Forces"

I think it's rather sad that one of the country's main proponents for supposed egalitarianism, RTE, whittles this woman down to, not her achievements or ambitions, but her gender.

"hey everyone, a woman got the job!" is how this reads when it should read "hey everyone, Maureen O'Brien who's been in the force for X years and served on X missions has been appointed to the role"

Could they not have lead with her name and alluded to the fact she was the first ever woman appointed to the post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

im sure there was a better candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Wouldn't be a news headline if she wasnt a woman in fairness. Some people are so sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭bigroad

It's all Pro woman now anyway so even if she got the job through hard work and / experience ,no one will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Pussyhands wrote: »

Headline reads on RTE website: "Woman appointed to 2nd highest rank in Defence Forces"

I think it's rather sad that one of the country's main proponents for supposed egalitarianism, RTE, whittles this woman down to, not her achievements or ambitions, but her gender.

"hey everyone, a woman got the job!" is how this reads when it should read "hey everyone, Maureen O'Brien who's been in the force for X years and served on X missions has been appointed to the role"

Could they not have lead with her name and alluded to the fact she was the first ever woman appointed to the post?

Did you not hear her speech? She was pushing the gender thing.. Then Simon Coveney saying there are lots of tasks that women can do that men can’t, such as looking after sexual abuse victims. The whole thing from start to finish was puke inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bet she's getting less than your man who was there before her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Forgive me for not being outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Gatling wrote: »

The only reason she got the job, they only have to pay her half as much.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Gatling wrote: »

Not sure if this is being tongue in cheek or simply moronic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Forgive me for not being outraged.

Username fits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Her hair looked lovely on the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Her hair looked lovely on the news

Of course, they all have lovely hair...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

She has a name

Maureen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Maureen.

Galway Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fake Donald up above. Don't mind him.

Anyway, I'm sure they all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Fake Donald up above. Don't mind him.

Anyway, I'm sure they all have lovely bottoms.

Bigly, lovely bottoms. Tremendous bottoms.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I think that would ignore one of the main points of the article which is that she is female. It's incredibly hard for a female to rise to that level in that line of work. Sure, we can ignore that if we want and document things as if women and men are equal, but to do so would be to completely ignore reality - which is that right now women and men don't progress equally in organisations such as the army. We might not like that fact but changing what is reported doesn't change what's really happening.

RTE are constantly running with a section now called "Racism in Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness, its only the army so its not like tokenist promotions matter, you don't really get binman strikes any more

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Shes looks like a harmless Granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not sure I get this. The news is in the fact that she's the first woman ever to reach that position in the Defence Forces. Her gender is literally the news angle.

The story clarifies the situation and really doesn't "reduce her to her gender". News headlines have to be short and to the point and basically capture what the "news" is. In this case the story is that she's the first woman to achieve this position.

I mean, it's not a gendered thing. People are very regularly referred to as man or woman with news of historic or quirky firsts, unless the person in question is already famous or quite well known.

In fact on the contrary, your suggestion that it should have been "Maureen O'Brien gets X role" as a headline, then clarity given in the story "Oh by the way, she's the first woman to ever achieve this position, so this is a historic day" is a bit silly and does a disservice to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That guy that dumped Dee Forbes, has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Raphael Picard

"She has also led the Defence Forces Communications and Information Technology unit, which plays a vital role in defending Ireland against cyber attacks."

Phew. I'm glad Major General Maureen O'Brien has played such a vital role in protecting us against ... oh, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

How many men has she killed?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Big Gerry wrote: »

A granny with the keys to our gigantic collection of nukes....

We got nukes, right?...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Big Gerry wrote: »

They always do, Gerry. They always do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If she was a man, there would not even be a headline. Her gender is fairly pertinent to the story.....

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Panthro wrote: »
    A granny with the keys to our gigantic collection of nukes....

We got nukes, right?...

I think we have some fireworks and a grenade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

jackboy wrote: »
    Did you not hear her speech? She was pushing the gender thing.. Then Simon Coveney saying there are lots of tasks that women can do that men can’t, such as looking after sexual abuse victims. The whole thing from start to finish was puke inducing.

I sincerely hope you're ok after your experience.

There are people out there that can help you, so don't be afraid to reach out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

How many men has she killed?

After tours in Chad, East Timor and Syria, I'd say there is a good chance that if push came to shove, she would have no hesitation in killing someone if necessary.

• Advertisement

I'm almost as shocked as the army lads there's a sailor in charge of the defence forces.

Advertisement