Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

pixelburp wrote: »
    IMDB is user generated so I wouldn't hold it as gospel TBH. Not least for the immediate, obvious question to start with: I'd the film industry open again in Ireland? The UK, yes. But has Ireland allowed productions to start again?

People who post on Boards are unreliable.
    Read the IMDB website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Apparently a film about a giant lizard called Gorgo was filmed there too! wtf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

People who post on Boards are unreliable.
    Read the IMDB website.

Uhm ok, sure?. Just pointing out IMDb can't always be taken as true, but obviously cool if they are indeed filming. Though like I said, I hadn't heard if film productions had started again so would be a good first point to confirm any validity of the info.

Uhm ok, sure?. Just pointing out IMDb can't always be taken as true, but obviously cool if they are indeed filming. Though like I said, I hadn't heard if film productions had started again so would be a good first point to confirm any validity of the info.

Isn't your one from Modern Family posting on social media that she is in Luttrellstown castle filming?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah they're filming that new Disney series, Epic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

py2006 wrote: »
    Apparently a film about a giant lizard called Gorgo was filmed there too! wtf

I added that to IMDB :D Yeah it was filmed in Coliemore Harbour. Godzilla knock off movie.

There's works just started in the harbour to fix part of a collapsed wall but I'd imagine it will be well fixed if/when they shoot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems an odd location, they are filming in Scotland as well, there are any number of small harbours to film there

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    it seems an odd location, they are filming in Scotland as well, there are any number of small harbours to film there

It might only be a 5 sec scene of a boat arriving and you wouldn't even know its Ireland.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I added that to IMDB :D Yeah it was filmed in Coliemore Harbour. Godzilla knock off movie.

There's works just started in the harbour to fix part of a collapsed wall but I'd imagine it will be well fixed if/when they shoot there.

Thats mad, I didn't know you could add stuff to IMDB

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Set photos of a castle in Scotland doing the rounds, looks like they may finally actually be going to make this movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Harrison Ford's in that neck of the woods too, potentially confirming that whatever's being filmed, it's to feature the main man himself. He looks well for his age TBH:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPY5_LgLyxJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Presumably there'll be some sort of tribute to Henry Jones Snr.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Presumably there'll be some sort of tribute to Henry Jones Snr.

No none whatsoever, Richard Dreyfus has been cast

I said it before and I will say it again, Spielberg leaving speaks VOLUMES!

py2006 wrote: »
    I said it before and I will say it again, Spielberg leaving speaks VOLUMES!

I think that's more to do with the allegations against Spielberg than the film its self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I think that's more to do with the allegations against Spielberg than the film its self.

What would this be now? :confused:

What would this be now? :confused:

Allegations in regard to Spielberg's daughter its all over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just googled it there. Whats that got to do with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Allegations in regard to Spielberg's daughter its all over the internet.

Let me guess, these accusations can be found on the same sites that accused him of being behind the death of the girl from Poltergeist and who also claim Harrison Ford has a tremendous fear of stamps and instead of a mouth, he has four ar*es?

• Advertisement

WTF is this segue? Spielberg isn't directing because after Crystal Skull, why would he? At this stage only Ford is interested in Indy while Lucas / Spielberg have moved on. And it's clear enough from his latterday CV that Spielberg's heart & interest simply isn't in blockbuster filmmaking anymore. He seems to have fully pivoted to "serious drama" mode these days, his brief detours into blockbusters total flops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As much as I like classic Spielberg, after a long stretch of bad and mediocre films his absence gives this more of a chance of being decent (even with a relatively workmanlike director taking his place).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd gain a lot more respect for Ford if he insisted on his character being killed off in this yoke too.

Watched that first set-piece from Crystal Skull, up to and including the infamous Fridge moment and you know what? Disregard the CGI gophers for a second and it's up there with the best of Indy IMO. It had a phenomenally strong, exciting pace; the stakes and danger always in motion. Yes, the nuke scene was silly but ... I dunno. Not _that_ silly against the franchise as a whole.

The film definitely went off the boil in a major way once the film left the United States, but even when I saw it in the cinema thought the Area 51 scenes were pretty good. Watching it again and that doesn't seem like rose tinted spectacles. Had forgotten how much convenient shadow was used though, masking the obvious stuntman replacing old man Ford :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'd gain a lot more respect for Ford if he insisted on his character being killed off in this yoke too.
    I don't think that's possible due to Lucas' Indian Jones canon.

I'm not very knowledgeable on this but I believe that the TV show is considered every bit as valid in the Indiana Jones universe as the movies.

For that reason Jones can't be killed off until he is in his 90s, plus he has to lose an eye and gain a daughter before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Watched that first set-piece from Crystal Skull, up to and including the infamous Fridge moment and you know what? Disregard the CGI gophers for a second and it's up there with the best of Indy IMO. It had a phenomenally strong, exciting pace; the stakes and danger always in motion. Yes, the nuke scene was silly but ... I dunno. Not _that_ silly against the franchise as a whole.

The film definitely went off the boil in a major way once the film left the United States, but even when I saw it in the cinema thought the Area 51 scenes were pretty good. Watching it again and that doesn't seem like rose tinted spectacles. Had forgotten how much convenient shadow was used though, masking the obvious stuntman replacing old man Ford :D

When I first saw Crystal Skull in the cinema, I actually enjoyed it, it felt like one final lap around the block for an old movie hero and it’s fans and it was an epilogue to the original trilogy before Spielberg, Ford and Lucas finally retired.

Unfortunately, today’s anti Lucas trolls decided to have a mass diva tantrum that persists today and don’t seem to realise this movie wasn’t actually made for them, it was made for us kids of the 80’s. Yeah, the movie was the worst of the 4, but who seriously thought it would reach the heights of the original movies?

Ironically, those same trolls have now brought about a situation where we’re getting another epilogue movie. Hopefully, it’ll do for Indiana Jones what Rocky Balboa did for the Rocky movies and finish the series on a high note.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thoroughly enjoy Crystal Skull until they end up in the enemy camp around halfway through. It really goes off a cliff after that - quite literally - but the first half totally captures the essence and playfulness of the series.

I’m perhaps misremembering, but always associate that dumb South Park episode being a marked shift in how many people talked about it. Felt like a point where much of the disappointment (and I’m not for a second suggesting many people didn’t like it first time around) became outright, meme-loaded vitriol. Between that SP episode and various web videos about other popular franchises, there was an increase in the ‘they ruined my childhood!!!’ level of discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wedwood wrote: »
    When I first saw Crystal Skull in the cinema, I actually enjoyed it, it felt like one final lap around the block for an old movie hero and it’s fans and it was an epilogue to the original trilogy before Spielberg, Ford and Lucas finally retired.

Unfortunately, today’s anti Lucas trolls decided to have a mass diva tantrum that persists today and don’t seem to realise this movie wasn’t actually made for them, it was made for us kids of the 80’s. Yeah, the movie was the worst of the 4, but who seriously thought it would reach the heights of the original movies?

Ironically, those same trolls have now brought about a situation where we’re getting another epilogue movie. Hopefully, it’ll do for Indiana Jones what Rocky Balboa did for the Rocky movies and finish the series on a high note.

Agree totally, Balboa was excellent and showed you can respect the original and merge with new. Was probably better then all but the first and maybe second in that franchise.

Also agree that some people are quite poor at reflecting on why they actually dislike something. Does Drumpot at 10 view modern movies the same way as Drumpot in his 40s? Not a chance, but people do not seem to get it. When I look back at some stuff from 80s/90s I still have rose tinted glasses and enjoy quite flawed elements of movies from that era. But I remember how I felt when I saw them so it sort of pastes over the flaws.

Modern Aliens, Star Wars or other franchise movies do not do the same thing for me, because how could they ? Is a middle aged man going to connect with a girl half his age , going around the universe saving everybody in the same way a young boy can relate to a boy becoming an adult in a scary world , trying to find his place ? Of course it will resonate more with me. I do think the older movies had more charm, better characters and more heart, but it didnt anger me like some of the more toxic stuff you read.

I am older then the adult characters in these movies, when I was younger I nearly looked up to the hero's and marveled at the villain's. Now I just try to enjoy the ride whereas some go into "did we really need this" rabbit hole and ruin the movies before they even come out.

I flicked on the "captain America" movie trailer from 1990 and my children laughed. I told them that was the level of quality of most of the super hero movies (Condor Man!). Star wars was quite unique and was only out ever 3 years. Indiana Jones and Bond similarly. Now we have top quality movies to compete from DC/Marvel and Bourne movies, mission impossible movies, even middle budget quality alternatives (edge of Tomorrow) and that doesn't even begin to look at television which is going through a golden age of quality. We are saturated with stuff , almost spoilt.

Suppose I have gone off a bit. But I try to watch certain movies through child Drumpot eyes. Part of that is not caring about the cynical reason a movie is being made and just focusing on what we get and trying to enjoy what I can from all movies. I really dont mind them making 20 Indiana Jones or Aliens movies if they want and if they are good. I enjoyed the new Aliens movies, beautifully made and good horror movies on their own. Didnt so much enjoy Crystal Skull , but that doesnt stop me watching or enjoying the older movies.

On a totally seperate point, watched all Predator movies with one of my sons and he thinks the original one is the best. He also thinks the Adrien Brody one is the second best, I would agree with that assessment. I am not sad they made the other ones , I actually have fond memories of pred 2 because I got a bootleg copy on video when it was out . .

I thoroughly enjoy Crystal Skull until they end up in the enemy camp around halfway through. It really goes off a cliff after that - quite literally - but the first half totally captures the essence and playfulness of the series.

I’m perhaps misremembering, but always associate that dumb South Park episode being a marked shift in how many people talked about it. Felt like a point where much of the disappointment (and I’m not for a second suggesting many people didn’t like it first time around) became outright, meme-loaded vitriol. Between that SP episode and various web videos about other popular franchises, there was an increase in the ‘they ruined my childhood!!!’ level of discourse.

No you're remembering right. South Park had that stupid episode and suddenly it became cool and funny to joke about how irredeemably awful Crystal Skull was; trotting out the "ruined my childhood" whinge that in hindsight, arguably, paved the way for corporations' more slavish indulgence for "fans" and remakes.

But yeah. Word of mouth sank the movie, alongside the cutesy rephrasing of "jump the shark" with "nuke the fridge" and the like. Crystal Skull ain't a masterpiece but its first half is damn good if given a serious chance. Mutt was the obvious millstone around the scripts neck, the character as confused as LeBeoufs performance was off-key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The first half was ok. But it really is a pretty terrible movie when all things are considered. I don't think I've met anyone in the real world that would rate it.

Advertisement