Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing car to older one.

• 25-05-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Long story short, ive decided with my wife that we are going back to mainland.
    We thought about changing our cars to lhd here, at least 6months before moving back, as to avoid tax but in the end Vrt amount is so crazy that its not an option anymore. So in the end I thought about crazy idea to swap my current 2014 Passat for older big engine "luxury" one, something like Bmw 7 series.
    I presume that probably would need to spend some additional money to get it within my spec, all parts working etc.
    Question is do You think its worth it? In Poland I wont have to worry about tax, so could go for some 3.0l.
    Could I even get a decent 7 series for around 10k?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭User1998

I think basically anything here with the €1800 tax would be worthwhile exporting to mainland Europe, especially older cars

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Assume you mean RHD and keep driving RHD on the Continent.

Consider two scenarios.
    1. Upon exporting the car from Ireland you claim VRT refund, which might be considerable amount depending on a car. However in that case, you'll have to pay local registartion tax (equivalent of VRT) in destination country - i.e. in Poland it's 18.6% on any car with engine bigger than 2 litre.

2. You just take car abroad with you - and avail of registration tax exemption due to transfer of residence so don't need to pay it, but in that case you can't avail of VRT refund in Ireland.

Best to calculate which option comes cheaper - might vary between cars - but in quite likely in case of 7 series it is going to come cheaper with option 2.

No need to worry about tax in Poland, but with RHD car you'll be limited to only few insurers who offer reasonable pricing for RHD cars, and have to consider it is going to be 20-50% more expensive than regular LHD car.

But generally yes - getting some nice bit older premium motor in Ireland seems to be a good idea, as it's realively easy to find one in good condition, and they are much cheaper than equivalents on the continent (mainly due to excessive tax, insurance and repair costs of such cars in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

CiniO wrote: »
    Assume you mean RHD and keep driving RHD on the Continent.

Consider two scenarios.
    1. Upon exporting the car from Ireland you claim VRT refund, which might be considerable amount depending on a car. However in that case, you'll have to pay local registartion tax (equivalent of VRT) in destination country - i.e. in Poland it's 18.6% on any car with engine bigger than 2 litre.

2. You just take car abroad with you - and avail of registration tax exemption due to transfer of residence so don't need to pay it, but in that case you can't avail of VRT refund in Ireland.

Best to calculate which option comes cheaper - might vary between cars - but in quite likely in case of 7 series it is going to come cheaper with option 2.

No need to worry about tax in Poland, but with RHD car you'll be limited to only few insurers who offer reasonable pricing for RHD cars, and have to consider it is going to be 20-50% more expensive than regular LHD car.

But generally yes - getting some nice bit older premium motor in Ireland seems to be a good idea, as it's realively easy to find one in good condition, and they are much cheaper than equivalents on the continent (mainly due to excessive tax, insurance and repair costs of such cars in Ireland).

To be honest first idea was getting something lhd 6 months before going back to use option nr2. But with Vrt being higher than purchase price of a car, ive thought about the more luxury option.
    I didn't think about the possibility of higher insurance, will have to do the math now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yoshiktk wrote: »
    To be honest first idea was getting something lhd 6 months before going back to use option nr2. But with Vrt being higher than purchase price of a car, ive thought about the more luxury option.
    I didn't think about the possibility of higher insurance, will have to do the math now.

To be honest I don't follow. Where were you planning on getting this LHD? From the continent, then getting it registered in Ireland, paying VRT, and then exporting it back to the Continent in 6 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

CiniO wrote: »
    To be honest I don't follow. Where were you planning on getting this LHD? From the continent, then getting it registered in Ireland, paying VRT, and then exporting it back to the Continent in 6 months ?

Yes, that was my first plan. After checking the Vrt and seeing that it would be same amount as the price of the car, with all expenses I have to spend on refurbishing apt in PL, freezing that amount of money is no go now.
    Therefore "luxury" option comes to play, I've checked 7 series, insurance range from 400€ to 10000€.

• Advertisement
Advertisement